Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I haven't "seen" Hamill in anything except the trailer for "Plague on a Plane" thing which I avoided like, well, you know. :D He's good with cartoon voice-overs, tho.

I hold out less hope for SW7 to be a good movie than I do for Stephen Donaldson's last Covenant novel not to be a bloated piece of fan-wank.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't "seen" Hamill in anything except the trailer for "Plague on a Plane" thing which I avoided like, well, you know. :D He's good with cartoon voice-overs, tho.

It is horribly, horribly cheesy, but I still have a lot of love for Slipstream.

Probably shouldn't like it so much, given how shaky the film is, but Hamill is great.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Voyage to the End of the Universe (Ikarie XB 1). Czech SF from 1963.

I've never heard of it before, for which I shall chastise my father, who raised me on this stuff. However, IMDB reviews tell me that I should be glad I never saw a butchered, dubbed US release, which changed the ending :eek:.

This is a fascinating period piece. Okay, I did start to MST3K it at a few places. But that should not deter any SF buffs from heading to YouTube and watching it (that link has subtitles).

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
"The Doors: Live at the Bowl '68"

It's a pretty good concert film, shot at the Hollywood Bowl. (I would have loved to attend the show myself back in 1968, but I had just graduated from kindergarten a few weeks earlier). :Thumbs:

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I just watched We Need to Talk About Kevin. It's a weird movie, and seemed a little disjointed--though there are obviously events that eventually string themselves together into a narrative, I felt that they didn't fit together cohesively. I know part of the point is that there are no answers to why Kevin did what he did. But I felt like we weren't even given any theories. The material didn't seem to offer us options to explain it; it just gave us the events. It's kind of hard to explain.

Anyway, Tilda Swinton was amazing, as were all of the kids who played Kevin (again, I liked Ezra Miller; I watched this movie because I liked his performance in The Perks of Being a Wallflower).

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rent. This was actually the second time I've tried watching it, pretty much picking up from where I last left off. I have to agree with the assessment that these characters are a bunch of whiny, entitled jerks. (Oh, and that Oh So Important movie the one character had to make to satisfy his creative soul? Sorry. It was just a collage of images anybody in first year film study coulda crapped out.) And, yes, I know the ending of the movie was changed from the original Broadway show, but is anybody else irked by SPOILER ALERT the gay character with AIDS dies but the straight couple with AIDS doesn't, one of them even miraculously coming back to life? Nobody else? Just me? Okay. I'll shut up. Not to mention I got a stupid headache from the singing.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Retribution (Asian Horror by the guy who directed Kairo).

Um... weird. Slow-paced but well done, right up to the :Wha: ending. And it's a major :Wha:.

One really good FX right at the end, tho. Quite cool.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^I need to watch that--thanks for the reminder! Kairo was amazing.

Last watched: Near Dark. Psychotic vampire Bill Paxton will never not be awesome.

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
I watched the Red Dawn remake this weekend...

ummm it was a Red Dawn remake and Chris Hemsworth gave it everything he had, but I'm waiting for a "How Did This Get Made" episode of it soon

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
^I need to watch that--thanks for the reminder! Kairo was amazing.

Last watched: Near Dark. Psychotic vampire Bill Paxton will never not be awesome.

---

I loved that flick! It never made any money, but it was very well acted and directed, and now everyone calls it a cult film. Whatever...Bill Paxton as a nut is great!

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
---

I loved that flick! It never made any money, but it was very well acted and directed, and now everyone calls it a cult film. Whatever...Bill Paxton as a nut is great!

...Is that bad? I thought "cult film" referred to something that was a total bomb at the box office but garnered a huge following after its initial release. Well loved, but not well known or popular outside of geek circles.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
"Peter and Vandy" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Uh3XXdQBU

I liked it a lot. Not much of a plot, but an honest love story. I liked Jason Ritter as Peter. He looks like a cross between Ethan Hawke and Jim Carey. But the girl who played Vandy, Jess Weixler, I think is special. I had the same feeling watching her I've had watching others early in their career, like some day everyone is going to know this name...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jess_Weixler

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
The remake of Total Recall. I LOVED the first one and I thought they did an excellent job with the remake. Great cast. Great action scenes. Great effects. GREAT fights. Thought the setting and futuristic ideas/gadgets/technology were very cool. I was entertained.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Life of Pi: amazing images, story less so.

Wanderlust: typical silly comedy, hippie cliches, Alan Alda is always the likeable funny guy though.

thehundreds

Registered
Reaction score
I watched the Red Dawn remake this weekend...

ummm it was a Red Dawn remake and Chris Hemsworth gave it everything he had, but I'm waiting for a "How Did This Get Made" episode of it soon

I'm not sure how you even got through the whole thing.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
...Is that bad? I thought "cult film" referred to something that was a total bomb at the box office but garnered a huge following after its initial release. Well loved, but not well known or popular outside of geek circles.
---

No, calling a film a "cult film" is not bad at all, and I wasn't implying it was bad in any way. I love Detour (1945) by Edgar Ulmer (in fact, I love almost everything by Ulmer) and that's a cult classic if ever there was one. (Then again, a lot of his films are considered such).

Your definition of a cult film is as good as any I've read, and really, it comes down to what you (the viewer) like. I've seen some movies that a lot of people would never consider mainstream (due to their low budgets or not having a famous name in them or cheesy special effects) but they grabbed my attention and held it for one reason or another.

If you want a cult film, watch St. Benny the Dip. It preceded We're No Angels by a few years, had some well-known names in it, and was a rather fascinating look at the seamier side of New York. A noirish comedy--very offbeat--but worth a watch. (It's on YouTube).

And yes, it's by Ulmer.:)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Finally saw The Avengers (or is just Avengers?). It was pretty damn good.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Finally saw The Avengers (or is just Avengers?). It was pretty damn good.
---

It's THE Avengers.:)

Loved it, all the throwaway references, the almost self-parody aspect, the special effects...got the DVD and yes, it's great!