Problem with female dog

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
About 2 1/2 years ago, we adopted a female 2 year old dog. We were told she was housebroken but....found her occasionally peeing on the living room carpet. We worked with her and eventually she got it. We have a doggy door, so she has 24/7 access to the backyard. Last September, my hubby was gone for four days - and she started peeing and pooping on the floor again! Very frustrating. We've had her to the vet's several times and they can't find anything wrong. She is prone to bladder infections but....is healthy now. We've both taken to walking her around the neighborhood three or four times a day but....we still find pee! We have plastic laid out all around the house so we do have to shampoo the carpet every day. We tried putting her in a crate and she freaked SO bad, it was scary. Any other suggestions? I will NOT get ride of her but, this is difficult.

Thanks,

Carlene

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like abandonment issues to me. Not sure what to do about that, though.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
Oh no. What did she do in the crate?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A bit of anxiety can cause regression in behavior. I would suggest cleaning the carpet with industrial strength odor remover to avoid the 'pee' cue. Praise and treat any outside weeing you can get. Ensure she is comfortably using the door which can be "invisibly" blocked by a lot of causes--does she go through without hesitation and looking relaxed?. I also think it is okay to put the bumpy plastic "X-mats" on the popular pee area to reminder her not to go there, but some people think that is too aversive for an anxious dog.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.vetinfo.com/treating-urinary-incontinence-dogs-propalin.html

One of the things that can cause urinary incontinence in female dogs is if the urethra gets nicked while the dog is being fixed.

Our dog started randomly peeing in the house at about 2 years old or so. We started giving her propalin and it's been 100% successful. Literally not a single incident since.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
Sounds like abandonment issues to me. Not sure what to do about that, though.

I second that. I would try the crate training again, but gently. With lots of treats and play. Make the crate a wonderful place. Never a punishment. Every experience inside the crate needs to be positive and actually, more interesting than the outside. Feed her in the crate. Throw raw chicken in there. And only gradually start closing the door. When I still had crates, my dogs would go in of their own accord. I made sure it's their happy place.

Also, as hard as it may sound, ignore any tantrums or other cries for attention, or it'll only get worse. Even scolding attention-seeking behavior is a reward - because it's attention.

Last edited:

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Is the doggy door adjacent to a floor area that is uncarpeted? Maybe make that area a fun place, put gates to keep them in that area rather than a crate, and also doggy pee pads close to the doggy door? And lots of stuff to play with, of course.

I'm thinking if she has separation anxiety, you can practice daddy going out for 5 minutes, then 10, then a half hour, etc so she might remember that he WILL come back? That's just off the top of my head, though.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
From one anti-crate-dog owner to another, though, I'll forgive you if you go the path of least resistance.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Thanks SO much for all the excellent suggestions. I, too, think something went wrong when she was fixed. She's a shelter dog and, quite frankly, I don't think the vets are as careful fixing them as full-paying customers. She goes in and out the dog door all day long and usually goes into the yard to poop! We've had the carpet professionally cleaned and own a home version of the Rug Doctor. And of course I use Nature's Miracle.

We have two male rescue dogs and have no problem with them.

She freaked in the crate - yes we were gentle and used yummy treats. She has obviously been abused and I don't know if it involved a crate but she went nuts in there - threw her little body against the door, cut her lip....it was not pretty.

I am about to change vets because every time she get's a bladder infection, the current vet puts her on antibiotics - very expensive antibiotics. I'm the kind of person who will go without food to treat my dogs but....this is not solving the problem! I want to know WHY she keeps getting infections. My hubby walks her a lot and said it almost seems like she can't empty her bladder - she'll squat a lot.

Another vet in the next town over had been recommended to us, so as soon as we can, I think we'll take her there for a check up. I'll let you all know what we find out!

Thanks again for all the great ideas!

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
I have no problem using antibiotics to treat bladder infections in dogs. However, after a few times, you need to look for some kind of underlying cause.

Some type of imaging to examine the urinary system can help (preferably ultrasound). There could be stones, masses, ulcerations, etc.

A blood profile to check for some type of metabolic issue that might cause increased urination is indicated. Some conditions that could lead to recurrent infections are Cushing's Disease (Hyperadrenocorticism), Diabetes (either mellitus or insipidus), or kidney issues.

We had one dog who was fine with all these things, but used to squat to urinate in thick mulch, leading to ascending infections going right up the urethra. Once she was kept away from the mulch, the recurrent infections stopped.

Once the medical possibilities have been pretty much eliminated, then what's left is behavioral. If your regular vet can't help, there are vet behaviorists - veterinarians who specialize in behavior.

Good luck.

Michele AKA Twig

Lurking In The Corner...
Registered
Reaction score
If she freaks out using a crate, try locking her in a room or sectioning off part of a room. Leave something that has been worn of your husband and yourself inside the area. This can help calm her down. She'll still be confined, but the area won't be as confining as a crate. Get her used to it, before leaving her there, however, or you will end up with her digging at doors or what not to get out.

Also, something might have happened outside that has the dog terrified. Loud noises, other animals or people can cause her to not feel safe using the outdoors as a potty room. It is also possible that she has determined the outdoors to be "her" room. Dogs won't soil places they consider to be their personal den area.

I would follow what Ibender suggested as well, to rule out any underlying problem.

I had to deal with abandonment issues with my current dog as well. She didn't pee on the floor so much, but she did destroy anything she could. I found if I locked her in my bedroom when I left, she behaved herself.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I have no problem using antibiotics to treat bladder infections in dogs. However, after a few times, you need to look for some kind of underlying cause.

Some type of imaging to examine the urinary system can help (preferably ultrasound). There could be stones, masses, ulcerations, etc.

A blood profile to check for some type of metabolic issue that might cause increased urination is indicated. Some conditions that could lead to recurrent infections are Cushing's Disease (Hyperadrenocorticism), Diabetes (either mellitus or insipidus), or kidney issues.

We had one dog who was fine with all these things, but used to squat to urinate in thick mulch, leading to ascending infections going right up the urethra. Once she was kept away from the mulch, the recurrent infections stopped.

Once the medical possibilities have been pretty much eliminated, then what's left is behavioral. If your regular vet can't help, there are vet behaviorists - veterinarians who specialize in behavior.

Good luck.

I second this. My cat has had repeated urinary tract infections. After numerous tests, including an ultrasound, it emerged that her particular infection is immune to most antibiotics. She is currently on Doxycycline. It's working, but very slowly. My vet also said that stress makes the infection worse.

RackinRocky

Registered
Reaction score
Could be several things that have been discussed. I was a vet tech for 12 years, so have seen a LOT of this. Previously housebroken dogs that suddenly start peeing/pooping in the house. Even with a sliding glass door partially open (for the dog) only a few feet away! Sometimes the cause is never found, but bladder infections do occur in dogs just like people, and of course, they have to pee very frequently.

As for the separation anxiety--that's a really tough one. These dogs have what equates to a panic attack. They are desperate and will do anything to get back to their human, and this is why she freaks out in the crate. So she DOES have anxiety issues, and could be that when your hubby was gone for a few days, she "acted out" by forgetting her house training. She was feeling very insecure and afraid.

And yes... vets can mess up on the spay surgeries. Some dogs have to stay on meds for life after this happens. I hope you find a solution, and am thrilled to hear you say you won't get rid of her. Too many people do when something chronic like this turns up.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Ebony Update

I submitted a query about two months ago because our rescue, Ebony was peeing in the house and having repeat bladder infections. We took her to another vet for a second opinion. He took ONE look at her and said, "I know exactly what her problem is. She needs a vagionaplastyl" Misspelled, I'm sure. Basically, she got a butt lift! The vet said because she'd been fixed and had gained a bit of weight (she was THIN when we got her and is now normal weight) she couldn't empty completely. He did the surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago. We took her outside on a leash frequently because she couldn't get through the dog door with her big collar on. Well, she's STILL peeing in the house!!! Last Thursday I took another urine sample to the new vet. He checked it right away and it was fine! He sent it....somewhere...for further testing. We are stumped.

I'm starting to think we'll have to live with this for another 10 years or so! It's all very frustrating.

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a query about two months ago because our rescue, Ebony was peeing in the house and having repeat bladder infections. We took her to another vet for a second opinion. He took ONE look at her and said, "I know exactly what her problem is. She needs a vagionaplastyl" Misspelled, I'm sure. Basically, she got a butt lift! The vet said because she'd been fixed and had gained a bit of weight (she was THIN when we got her and is now normal weight) she couldn't empty completely. He did the surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago. We took her outside on a leash frequently because she couldn't get through the dog door with her big collar on. Well, she's STILL peeing in the house!!! Last Thursday I took another urine sample to the new vet. He checked it right away and it was fine! He sent it....somewhere...for further testing. We are stumped.

I'm starting to think we'll have to live with this for another 10 years or so! It's all very frustrating.

Your poor dog. Keep us posted.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Carlene, is there any rhyme or reason to the locations she's peeing?

I have a female dog we've had since she was a puppy who decided one day when she was about 4 to start peeing in the house. She was completely and thoroughly housetrained, went to the door to be let out regularly, etc. But I finally noticed she was peeing in generally the same spots (within a radius), so I figured it was more of a scent-marking thing. I cut off access to those places with baby gates and she stopped peeing inside. Entirely. She didn't go to pee in new places at all. All I could guess was she wasn't necessarily peeing just to pee, or because she couldn't hold it, but the scent far down in the carpeting (probably on the subfloor, which can't be reached by carpet cleaning) "made her do it."

I have to live with random gates in the house, but it's better than the smell of dog pee wafting around. ;) Just something else for you to consider. It was a frustrating several months until we found a working solution. I totally empathize with you.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
She does have a spot where she likes to go. We, too, fenced it off - she went in another place! We've cleaned the carpet - several times, use Nature's Miracle, have plastic all over the area now - we're stumped. I have to call the vet and see if he came up with anything. He sent a urine sample out for more extensive testing.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
She does have a spot where she likes to go. We, too, fenced it off - she went in another place! We've cleaned the carpet - several times, use Nature's Miracle, have plastic all over the area now - we're stumped. I have to call the vet and see if he came up with anything. He sent a urine sample out for more extensive testing.

You might need to pull the carpet up and cut that part of the pad out and replace it.