What!? No Romanian thread?

andreea

Yeeeesss??
Registered
Reaction score
:tongue

Cu placere.

Daca o pastrezi pe aia, reformuleaz-o cumva, ca asa cum e pare sa fie scoasa din alta carte. E un alt plan, ceva ce nu prea pare sa aiba legatura cu personajele.

Ceva in genul: "The squire brought him de news of his father demise but ...couldn't believe it". :tongue

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
:tongue

Cu placere.

Daca o pastrezi pe aia, reformuleaz-o cumva, ca asa cum e pare sa fie scoasa din alta carte. E un alt plan, ceva ce nu prea pare sa aiba legatura cu personajele.

Ceva in genul: "The squire brought him de news of his father demise but ...couldn't believe it". :tongue

Tot vreau cumva sa o fac abrupt, sa fie asa violent putin :tongue O sa ma gandesc acuma cum reformulez, ultimele drafturi.

Of of of!

andreea

Yeeeesss??
Registered
Reaction score
Da, eu am trimis cateva cu prima mea carte. Cred ca am trimis la 3 edituri, pentru fiecare un query de lungimi diferite. Cel mai greu de scris a fost de maxim 200 cuvinte la un manuscris de 63k. Mi-am facut planul de bataie, adica am incercat sa-mi aleg elementele care vroiam sa le evidentiez in query, si am trecut la treaba. Nu am stat foarte mult pe ea, cred ca doar vreo 2-3 zile, am periat-o, am rugat niste prieteni sa arunce o privire sa-mi spuna daca suna "normal" si am trimis-o la editura, ca stiam ca daca stau sa rescriu la infinit nu mai trimit in veci.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, can I interrupt with some old-fashioned English and ask for some help? I'm writing a novella where some of my characters are Romanian and need a couple of words/sentences translated. Would somebody be willing to do that for me? I don't want to use an online translator because you never know what you'll get.

It's really just a few words.

Sorry to interrupt!

andreea

Yeeeesss??
Registered
Reaction score
No problem and welcome to the Romanian forum. Just give us the phrases you need translated, here or via PM, and I (we) will be happy to help.

shayla.mist

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, NewKidOldKid (love your username). Fell free to ask us anything. I love helping people out :D

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

I need a couple of things. The words "thank you" and "hello" (is there another, more formal way to say "hello"?) and the short sentence “Hello, brother. Long time no see.” (the guy is not really his brother, but his cousin, so he's saying "brother" somewhat ironically)

I have more sentences. Would it be better if I pm you? I really appreciate the help!

andreea

Yeeeesss??
Registered
Reaction score
ok, let's see....thank you is 'multumesc' or merci (I know is the french word but it's the accepted form for informal talk).

"Hello" is "buna ziua" which actually means "good day" and depending on the time of the day you can say "buna dimineata" (good morning), "buna ziua" (good day) or "buna seara" (good evening). usually "buna ziua" can be used through out the day, starting with 10 Am or so until 5-5 30 PM. In informal version would be "Buna." used for any time of the day.

"Hello, brother, long time no see" can be translated to "Buna ziua/seara, frate, nu ne-am mai vazut de mult." or "bine te-am gasit, frate, nu ne-am mai vazut de ceva timp." (well find you, brother, we haven't seen eachother in some time.)

Maybe the guys here have some other ideas...

Feel free to PM if you like.

Ludovica

Registered
Reaction score
Buna!

So it's true what my father told me once. That he overheard some people on a cruise and couldn't identify the language, it sounded like nothing else he knew, but that he could understand bits once in a while. So he asked them and it turned out they were speaking Romanian.

We are Spanish speakers, and that makes us long lost linguistic cousins. I enjoyed visiting. Hasta la vista.

andreea

Yeeeesss??
Registered
Reaction score
Why do I think of Arnold Schwarzenegger whenever I hear "Hasta la vista"? It should, of course, be followed by a "baby", but still... Just kidding. ;)

Welcome to the Romanian thread, Ludovica. Stop by more often.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Love the translation of this option:
"bine te-am gasit, frate, nu ne-am mai vazut de ceva timp." (well find you, brother, we haven't seen eachother in some time.)

So I think that's the right one.

Let me go through the story and see what else I need and I'll PM later today or tomorrow morning. Thanks again!

Don't want to use "merci" because I don't think readers will know it's acceptable and might end up confused as to what language my characters are speaking.

ETA: I'm assuming Romanian is not like German and you don't need to capitalize certain words in the middle of a sentence, correct? So the only capital letter in the sentence above is the B in "bine," right?

Last edited:

andreea

Yeeeesss??
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: I'm assuming Romanian is not like German and you don't need to capitalize certain words in the middle of a sentence, correct? So the only capital letter in the sentence above is the B in "bine," right?

Yeap, you are correct. We capitalize just the names not all the nouns, and of course, we respect the basic grammar rules, so yea, the B in "bine" is capitalized.