New Kitten Woes - Updated last post

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Aw it sounds like they're gonna end up good mates oceansoul. Good on you for adopting from a shelter :)

I've recently integrated an inherited 5yo female with my 18yo female. Six months later and I'm over the moon if they pass each other in the hallway without hissing. Like others have said, time is the key, and it takes as long as it takes cos, well, cats are cats. My two are still separated when there's nobody home to keep an eye on them. They seem happy enough, I think each believes that she's the Most Important Cat In The House World.

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
For everybody who gave advice and followed this thread, this is how I found them today when I came back from Starbucks. They're both like "What, we were napping?"

unnamed_1.jpg

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! I'm glad they're friends now.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Aww. It's only a matter of time before they start ganging up on you! :) I'm glad this has had a happy ending!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Awwwww, I needed some cute overload today!

My older male cat adjusted in a similar way when I brought in two female kittens. There was hissing with proximity for a few months, followed by acceptance and cuddling (though it took longer).

Now those two kittens are 10-year-olds dealing with the introduction of a male of about the same age. Actually, he's been here for about a year and a half. My sister gave him to me because he wouldn't stop viciously attacking her other male cat, with whom he'd had an outdoor territory dispute when the latter was a stray.

Mostly it's peaceful co-existence these days, but this morning at 4 a.m. I was awakened by caterwauling as the "newcomer" pursued my little tortie around the living room. She gives as good as she gets and occasionally attacks him. No one's ever been bitten; they just make a racket.

Still, sigh. Cats. Even the two sisters will occasionally have a hissy slap fight, then cuddle up together an hour later.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
AWWWWWWs. :)

Though I'd caption that more like -

'I wuv my big brother - he makes me feel safe and warm.' *cling*

'I'm putting up with this, but you'd better not bring anything else small and alive in here - and keep the fish coming; you owe me.'

For everybody who gave advice and followed this thread, this is how I found them today when I came back from Starbucks. They're both like "What, we were napping?"

unnamed_1.jpg

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
That caption is probably quite close to reality cornflake! Although he does seem to genuinely enjoy playing with her!