Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still giggling at "monster mash."

Kid Two makes her own mead and her attempt at orange mead resulted in an undrinkable batch and a funny story: she bought what she thought was a big orange but was actually a small grapefruit. Yuck!

A small miracle has occurred. Not only did Mr. Maryn call the cable company because we have a black screen instead of some of our channels (and have for at least a month, but they're not important channels), but they sent someone out who arrived quickly and was--gasp!--competent. Our outside cable needs replacing, work slated to be completed by Saturday but probably sooner, and he added a signal amplifier so our internet is faster and TV picture sharper. He says it'll be substantially better once we have new wires outdoors, and he gave us a card so we can contact him personally, not customer service, if it doesn't get done or there's not much improvement.

Maryn, who has obviously entered an alternate universe

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
I've been interested in making mead. If I start a batch now it should be ready in time for Rosh Hashana.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do it! Her first effort at mead was fully drinkable. I got a bottle and we drank most of it, although near its end some sediment settled out and made it unappealing. I think I tossed the last two or three ounces, although I probably could have filtered them instead.

If you want, I can ask her for recipes and/or instructions.

We were looking at the little strip of woods between houses (a farm's windbreak in some past life) and saw a fox this morning, in the middle of suburbia. Cool!

Maryn, who's never seen one this close before

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
It's good to know the same animals live in your alternate universe along with decent cable guys, M.

Trevor, amazed

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know what they say about March: In like a lion, out like... another lion. It's snowing, hard and straight down, which means it's heavy and will be hard shoveling when it gets to that. At least I did two things right:

1.) I bought a case of wine this morning
2.) I brought in enough firewood for three fires

Alas, I did not hit 3.) I bought groceries, but there's tomorrow.

Alas, I picked up all the throw rugs from the mud room and entryway and washed them over the weekend. I'm loathe to put them back down where they'll immediately get all wet and dirty. Might be easier to scrub the floor again, and certainly more "green."

Maryn, kind of green but not fully

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The dogs track in so much dirt I gave up and put the rug outside the backdoor instead of inside. They manage to bypass it often inside, how I don't know. It had gotten wet and I hung it on the back deck railing to dry and it's been out there so I thought, hey....

I've never lived anywhere as long as I've lived in my current house. By a long shot. I had no idea how dusty things could get.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The depth and "stickiness" (in that long-time dust doesn't just wipe away) of dust is pretty amazing, really. It's one of the aspects of interior painting I dislike, that you have to have the tops of door and window frames truly clean when they haven't been dusted since the last time I painted. And don't start me on the top of the china cabinet.

I forget if I mentioned here that Kid Two is dating for the first time since the ex took off. She seems pretty happy, which makes me happy.

Maryn, easy

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, tubbers! Just got back from Portland (the Oregon version), where the WordPress folks put on a conference on the latest ideas in blogging. They are planning to go coast to coast with these things, so watch for some in your neck of the woods.
Case of wine? While winter still lingers? Gotta be red, right? Finger Lakes or from out on this coast?
Sass, after 7 years in same apartment, even with a few carpet shampoos, I don't want to think too much about cootie colonies in my undusted corners.
Finished The Goldfinch on the bus back today. Wow!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reluctant to admit it, but I buy almost no New York wines. Mostly Californias, a few Italys and once in a while a France. When I buy a case I mix half red, for just plain drinking (often with a snack that's seasoned, like garlic pita chips or baguette and cheese) and half whites, which pair best with what we usually have for dinner. (You'd think someone who eats this much chicken and fish would be svelte, huh?) In fact, the only wine I've poured down the sink was a New York, from a Finger Lakes winery. Not even good enough to cook with.

I got my royalty statement yesterday. Man, they were not kidding when they said the genre of my most recent title does not sell well. Sigh...

Maryn, luckily not in it for the money, although it's a nice validation

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, the curious yellowness of the site! The eerieness of Hobbes, lurking around the edges of M's new avatar! The Aprilness of it all. And I am off to the endoscopy clinic to have my nether regions viewed....
Supper will be glorious after the fasting.
Trevor, growling

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
O frabjous day! Because it's always good to be back from such a medical visit and to eat and be grateful that's it for another five or ten years.

Mine was due in December, but I couldn't get an appointment for the preliminary visit (which every doc insists on even though I've been on this ride many times) until next week. I'm sure I will complain heartily.

Maryn, predictable

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Today is my last day to post here. Tomorrow I'm going to run away and join the circus.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wise decision! Travel, new people, a steady income, flashy wardrobe...

But wait. The last time I went to a circus, one of the trapeze guys was cute enough that I noticed. I also noticed when he (and presumably others whose acts were done) was in a tan jumpsuit shoveling elephant poop. Maybe you should join the Marines instead.

Maryn, not a joiner

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
O frabjous day indeed! Is that from Carroll or did Steinbeck invent the word, in Sweet Tuesday?
Good luck in the circus, Kommena--if you see Curious George there, say hello. I was browsing in the bookstore day before yesterday (draw a curtain over yesterday, TYVM) and saw that old book, where he joins the circus. My great find there was Scuffy the Tugboat, a great fave of Kid 3 29 years ago. Now she is 30 with an 11-month-old daughter of her own, and guess what grandpa will give her for that first birthday!
Trevor, happily digesting a real breakfast

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see they have Scuffy the Tugboat at Amazon, for the record.

Kid One had a very difficult time in college due to social anxiety and refusal to take meds, but cheered when I sent her childhood favorites like that.

Maryn, good mommy

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
This has been a rough week. Wednesday Roomie collapsed and is now in the hospital. They're going to have to amputate at least one leg but now maybe he can finally get the help we're not able to give.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How awful for him! Diabetes? Not that it's any of my business, so you don't have to say.

I echo your sentiment on him finally getting the help you can't give, though.

Know what's scary as all get-out? Watching someone you know let their health go south. Not taking their medications, no exercise, eating whatever they want, not even trying to lose the weight they should, smoking, drinking to excess. Hell, not wearing seatbelts. And for a while things are still okay for them--right up until they have a heart attack or a stroke, or get thrown from the car in what should have been a minor accident.

Maryn, shaking her head

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, tubbers! Just got back from Portland (the Oregon version), where the WordPress folks put on a conference on the latest ideas in blogging.

Oh rats, I meant to go to that. Was it good? It was inexpensive I remember, about $40? Did you learn anything new?

In about 30 minutes I have a phone appt with a financial planner, which should be fun! fun! fun! :sarcasm so of course I'm goofing off instead of gathering materials together.

Weather here is glorious, sorry you peeps elsewhere. I'm meeting a couple of friends for coffee at 1 and maybe we'll sit outside, if there's an open table.

I've been thinking for several months about how much I hate parts of the American culture. All the "reality shows" about "celebrities" and wondering why it's so important for me to know that someone cut her hair!!! and some celeb is feuding with that other celeb!!! And the politics and religion wars ... don't get me started. There's a thread over in the politics forum that had me gnashing my teeth coupled with a heaviness of sorrow inside. I don't usually post in there, but I do browse.

I find myself wishing I could move to another country, where maybe, maybe? this stuff doesn't happen, or at least not so much. I'm too old and broke to be accepted anywhere else, so I guess I'm stuck.

:flag:

I don't watch that stuff on tv but man, it's everywhere. On "news" shows. Every single place on the Internet it seems. Hmm. Not much I can about this situation. But how to cope?

Bah humbug.

Off to gather up financial statements etc. Fun fun fun I tell you!

SusieQZ

Wallflower. Ivory Tower. Empower.
Registered
Reaction score
Mythbusters

I've been thinking for several months about how much I hate parts of the American culture.
But how to cope?

I prefer to think of the lovely phrase from those American Masters of Scientific Exploration (the Mythbusters) as an excellent coping mechanism perfectly summing up why I write:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Komnena

Registered
Reaction score
Diabetes and a stroke. I've spent the past hour struggling to sort his stuff out. The house seems awfully empty. Tigercat gone, Roomie gone. And yet I find myself planning what I will do with the space, which is probably callous.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I add a second welcome for SusieQZ. What sort of thing do you write? (What, we can talk about writing in this thread? Who knew?)

Speaking of which, my play that I had such confidence in apparently did not win. They've changed the wording of the website to indicate that only the winners will be contacted by X date, and I wasn't. I know rejection is part of the game and I'm surprised how much this one is stinging.

Diabetes and a stroke. I've spent the past hour struggling to sort his stuff out. The house seems awfully empty. Tigercat gone, Roomie gone. And yet I find myself planning what I will do with the space, which is probably callous.
That's a natural response, both practical and a coping mechanism, don't you think? I mean, what else can you do?

We went walking outside. My stupid twisted knee is good for no more than an hour, at a gentle pace. And it hates every incline, both up and down. I need to move to Kansas.

Maryn, who crossed two arched bridges twice apiece, ow-ow-ow

Status
Not open for further replies.