Your Perfect Bookshop

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
I'm a theatre person, so I'd love a bookstore or a cafe with a small but proper stage. A place for local musicians and actors and can be used for author readings, etc. And a decent sound system to go with it. Lights are nice but not necessary. You could also do "holiday readings" (imagine a Victorian re-enactor doing A Christmas Carol at Christmas time) or something.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
You could also do "holiday readings" (imagine a Victorian re-enactor doing A Christmas Carol at Christmas time) or something.

+1

and you could do the same for other holidays - I'd love to see a greenman face on the front door along with the Christmas tree and non-prickly holly. And the Equinox celebrations - and books for each season.

I read the posts, but being on dial up we don't download books. So I suggest, if they actually made the download kiosks for ebooks, maybe one of those?

I enjoy seeing cats in stores, but only if they get to go home at night or have a cat door and the store isn't on a busy street (which might not be good for business.)

Being in the UK, you're looking for walk by business perhaps more than one would in the US. If you're not wearing a heavy coat you're probably going to spend more time browsing and buying coffee and sweets. So how about a coat room to hand over coats, mufflers, hats etc and get a paper receipt for them so customer could collect them when he/she leaves.

the person in charge of coats could give the customers a map showing where different generes were in the store and separate fliers of coming events and 'specials.'

Oh, I could so love this store.

Wind Ann Wise

The Quiet One
Registered
Reaction score
My perfect bookstore (which exists in my fictional town, wish it existed in real life):
1. Tons of books, in every genre. Tall bookshelves with ladders (because I think that looks cool.) And a few footstools for the children to reach books. Shelves arranged by genre and in alphabetical order by title. (If it has An A, An or the title, go by the first letter of the second word.)
2. Friendly and helpful staff, including one witch who can magically conjure up books in our storage room should we not have the book our customer is looking for.
3. Café in a completely separate part of the building, selling hot and cold coffee-type drinks, plus smoothies, milkshakes, and there's a fountain drink station.
4. A friendly store dog and cat that live with one of the employees when not at work.
Yep, just perfect!

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I'd want more books and less other non-book things (board games and toys). Merchandise pertaining to book related things are okay. A cafe/lounge area is a must If you're going to read the first couple pages of a book, having a place to sit would be great.

I also think it'd be nice if there was an Indie section, separated by genre. More author events is an awesome idea. Though, no one ever comes here. XD

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
In my ideal Utopian bookshop, we would have a very zen reading room with a giant koi pond, long recliners and attractive humans who revolved around serving beverages on trays ...

Basically I would love a bookshop attached to a spa :p

But in terms of reality, anywhere with a huge selection and great coffee is good for me!

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the problem, in the end, is making it pay. Bookstores that try to survive just on book sales tend to have to be small, cramped spaces with just enough room to walk crabwise between the shelves (I'm thinking specifically of White Dwarf Books). Of course, those of us who frequent those kind of places are perfectly willing to put up with that.

If you want to make a better go of it, though, you have to either have an attached restaurant, or have Bob's Book Store and Bait & Tackle Shop, or some other hook.

I've often wondered if a New/Used bookstore would work, where you could sell books back to the store when finished. Used books might be on sale for 50% of list, and you sell them back for 20% of list. Effectively, you're renting books.

I will say that a reading area (accessible only after you've purchased the book -- Chapters learned that the hard way) would go a long way to making a book store more attractive. With a coffee/snack bar a la Starbucks, you could probably make a buck.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I am considering new/used -- I think I'd probably go that route (My daughter jokes that I could stock the used section from my shelves at home) A second hand book shop used to do the buy back thing -- worked really well (for me the reader anyway) and I was considering taking that up

But yes, it needs to offer a little bit more than just books. I was thinking a "Geekery" where you could get your SFF books, comics, t-shirts, sonic screwdrivers, Iron Man PJs...a one stop Geek shop.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But yes, it needs to offer a little bit more than just books. I was thinking a "Geekery" where you could get your SFF books, comics, t-shirts, sonic screwdrivers, Iron Man PJs...a one stop Geek shop.

That would work. Chapters, here, sells all kinds of non-book stuff, but it's sort of generic five and dime stuff (albeit better quality). I think goods that are more focused on the types of people who frequent book stores would work better. Watch a couple of episodes of Big Bang Theory, and I think you'd get a lot of ideas. :D

dreamergirl

Registered
Reaction score
All books used, rare and special. Nothing digital, unless its a coffee maker. I still dream about the old used book shops in England. There are still a few small ones left here in the States. I go there and buy old hardcover classics or rare books. I especially love illustrated classic hardcover children's books. Books aren't what they used to be. The old ones are precious.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Well, bank bloke was a dash of cold water*, but it's possible. Need to do more market research and refine my business plan. We shall see.

*I am also convinced he has never been in a book shop. He asked what author I would concentrate on. Me..Um. More than one really. Lots. Him: That's not very targeted...

I should just sell GRRM's stuff, clearly! But he did give me lots to think about.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Er... Wut?

Can you get a different bank bloke? If a loan officer know so little of how a bookshop operates how can he effectively analyze your business plan?

Not focused to concentrate on only one author? You'd need to stock nothing but Azimov. Or maybe Gaiman.

You're having us on, yes?

Otherwise, hooooo boy.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, in the interest of research for a Sekrit Project (which will be blindingly obvious by the end of this post anyway lol) I thought I'd ask the biggest bunch of readers I know.

What would your perfect bookshop have? Cafe? Free wifi? Lots of author events? Books the normal chains don't carry? Free bacon? What?

And...go!

PS: L-space is a given :)
My perfect bookshop is Carmichael's in Louisville, KY. What makes it perfect is not WiFi, the attached coffee shop or the events. What makes it perfect is the very carefully curated selection of books. It is not a large store, but its books I really want to read to books IDGAF about ratio is excellent.

If you want the perfect bookshop, get reading!

Last edited:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
*I am also convinced he has never been in a book shop. He asked what author I would concentrate on. Me..Um. More than one really. Lots. Him: That's not very targeted...

I should just sell GRRM's stuff, clearly! But he did give me lots to think about.

I... what? Did he mean genre? I too am convinced bookshops have eluded him his whole life. Poor soul.

I love the geek corner idea, though!

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I... what? Did he mean genre?

Nope.

Another gem was: What other shops would be in the area selling the same things? Me: No one really (there'd be some crossover with Waterstone's but the point is to offer books they don't carry, along with other stuff they don't carry at all) Him: Well, probably no need for one then? If I'd have said "Yes, there's five" no doubt he would have said the marketplace is too crowded...

Once I've got my business plan up and running I may try another bank. Just because they may have a clue. However, the bank provided printouts about the bookselling industry (including resources)are going to be very helpful.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Purely in the interests of research, if you haven't been there, maybe you could take a trip to Hay-on-Wye and model your business plan on whichever bookshop most appeals there.

Which will turn out to be Booths, because it's fabulous.