Introverts: are you "afraid" of small talk, or do you just hate it?

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I must note that I love witty banter, which I do not consider small talk. Small talk, to me, is the endless pointless exchange of information about the weather and mundane details of one another's lives. Witty banter stimulates me; extended discussion of the tribulations of finding a good preschool make me run for the door. (It's gotta be genuinely witty, though. And that's rare. Alas.)

I can easily spend a couple of hours in conversation with someone and emerge with no idea of what she does for a living or whether he is married (I never notice rings or think to ask unless I think he's attractive).

Shy, no. Easily bored by conversations, yes. Bored when alone, never.

Last edited:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
That's me, exactly. Most people who know me casually peg me as an extrovert, mostly because they don't really know what an introvert is. Introverts get their energy from within; extroverts from people and stimuli around them. Introverts need lots of alone time to recharge and reflect; extroverts get their recharge from interaction with others.

I'm exhausted after an hour of small talk (though I can talk all night about something I really care about). But it's not that I can't do it. Actually, I'm good at it. I just hate it.

that's me. I can be "on" and I can enjoy the hell out of a good gathering of people. I just also need to be alone a fair bit of time. I don't lack small talk or social skills. I just also like to keep company in my own head regularly. it's one of the reasons I don't mind commuting to work. I charge my batteries on the way there and on the way home.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Trish? Would you mind not recharging cray next time?

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it splits his ends..

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
I must note that I love witty banter, which I do not consider small talk. Small talk, to me, is the endless pointless exchange of information about the weather and mundane details of one another's lives. Witty banter stimulates me.

This. Also finding someone with a similar like of something and just talking on that for hours on end. Best friend and I love to sing and talk music all the time.

I tend to get told I'm a good listener because I'll just let people talk. I'll always "appear" interested, even if I'm reading the blurb of the book at the next table or listening to something more interesting behind me. It's probably why I have more friends of the opposite sex (and more friends who like DRAMA!) because I'll just sit and listen.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I heard an interesting way to look at it somewhere. Extroverts prefer to talk. Introverts prefer to listen. That describes me pretty well. I don't say something until I have a clear and valuable thing to say. Until then I listen and consider.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I heard an interesting way to look at it somewhere. Extroverts prefer to talk. Introverts prefer to listen. That describes me pretty well. I don't say something until I have a clear and valuable thing to say. Until then I listen and consider.

Actually, I like to talk -- when I have something to say, and someone I want to say it to. I can happily spend most evenings alone, but if I'm in company with a good friend, I'm doing my share of talking. I'm a good listener, but quiet I am not.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
I don't hate small-talk, I just hate people.

People suck.

i think this is going to work out for the best because people like totally hate you!

i mean, really really hate you.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Must my every attempt at meaningful discourse devolve into a discussion of Jayne Mansfield's breasts?

This is why we can't have nice things.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
I told an old boss once that I was an introvert, and she said, with absolute confidence, "I don't believe you."

I think what bothered me the most about her comment was that she clearly felt I was being self-deprecating. Uh, no. It's a fact about me, and as it happens, I'm quite happy being an introvert.

Isn't it so silly that some people think being introverted is a negative?

*high fives Cassandra and CAMueller (edit: and liz!)*

*high fives all around*

I don't hate small-talk, I just hate people.

People suck.

Also an option. :D

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I'd like to apologize to all the introverts who came to this thread hoping for meaningful dialogue.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
*peeks in*

There are too many people in this thread. Before long it's going to get loud. I hate loud.

*leaves*