My novel as a graphic novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
It has been suggested that my novels be published as graphic novels. My writing does lend itself better to comics than novels. I even had an artist who wanted me to write stories for me. He had presented his work to several comic book companies, but they all told him he needed stronger stories. He saw my work and wanted me to write for him. He offered me a 70/30 deal. I would recieve 70 percent and he 30. Plus, I could still release my own novels. But, his father died and he moved away soon so I don't know what ever became of him. I doubt that anything would have became of it. I do wonder though if I perhaps should go the comics route. More than one person has told me that my work would be great for comics and/or graphic novels.

Who knows?

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Are you asking if you should go ahead with the idea? If so, it'd help to know:

• Do you have the time and money typically required? That 70/30 deal in favor of an unknown writer is a rarity in my experience. You'll need a penciller, inker, colorist/toner and letterer. Some people can do more than one job, and others perhaps the writer can learn, but don't discount the importance of any of those skills.
  • Do you understand how the comic industry (big pub, small pub, self pub) works?
  • Do you know comic terminology and how to write a script?
A lot of people think [x] would make a great [movie/game/comic/interpretive dance/etc]. That may be true, but friends, family and fans often don't think about everything involved to make a good final product that strangers will pay for.

Last edited:

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
Are you asking if you should go ahead with the idea? If so, it'd help to know:

• Do you have the time and money typically required? That 70/30 deal in favor of an unknown writer is a rarity in my experience. You'll need a penciller, inker, colorist/toner and letterer. Some people can do more than one job, and others perhaps the writer can learn, but don't discount the importance of any of those skills.
  • Do you understand how the comic industry (big pub, small pub, self pub) works?
  • Do you know comic terminology and how to write a script?
A lot of people think [x] would make a great [movie/game/comic/interpretive dance/etc]. That may be true, but friends, family and fans often don't think about everything involved to make a good final product that strangers will pay for.

Oh, I understand all of that. I did not mean to imply that I was on the verge of a comic book deal. I don't even understand the comic book business nor do I really want to go into it. My work needs much more work for it to be presentably. I never even read much comics growing up. And the guy I was talking about doing the comic book with was by no means an expert. He just had several comic book publishers reject him on his stories. There was no guarantee that even with my story added that it would have been accepted. We did have an offer from a local newspaper, but that never happened.

I was just relating that, over the years, editors, comic book store owners, and others have suggested that my style might lend itself more to comics than novels. It may have more to do with my overly melodramtic style than anything else. I'd rather write novels to be honest. I think writing for comics would be much harder.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
It's definitely possible. Writing comics, where a lot of character development and plot events come across visually rather than verbally, has certain benefits and drawbacks. You can show more of some things and less of others.

I've never considered or attempted writing comics, so I'll leave those details to the big boys and girls.

Might want to look at some comics and take into account the differences in the media.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
I thought about doing a novel/graphic novel hybrid. Along the lines of Captain Underpants, but with a much different target market and story. I ended up shelving the entire idea after delving into the requirements for such a feat. I can't draw, but I know people who can, and they can do it exceptionally well. What it came down to was the time commitment though, it's a very different art form than writing a novel, and I couldn't spend a year or so learning just the basics.

There have been some recent examples of comic book-ish novels and you could maybe look at a few of them on Amazon. It's very possible to tell a comic book like story in the form of a novel. The benefits of writing a novel is that you can really do anything you want.

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
My characters, The Galactic Seven, even have a comic book feel. Perhaps that is what people are picking up on along with the melodrama. I had an editor say that I was a bit too overdramatic. He meant it as a negative, but it was actually a positive to me because that was what I was aiming at. I am currently reworking my second novel and bringing it into a more modern form. I don't want to lose all of the melodrama, though. The hardest part is finding a good mix of both styles. I still want a little Flash Gordon in my writing. Even if I get my novel up to standards, it still is going to be a hard sell. Critics will hate it. That is why I considered the comic book route. Perhaps I will again in the future. I don't have a message; I'm not trying to save the world; I'm not trying to wind the Nobel Peace Prize. I'm just writing science fiction adventures for the sake of the adventure itself.

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
I thought about doing a novel/graphic novel hybrid. Along the lines of Captain Underpants, but with a much different target market and story. I ended up shelving the entire idea after delving into the requirements for such a feat. I can't draw, but I know people who can, and they can do it exceptionally well. What it came down to was the time commitment though, it's a very different art form than writing a novel, and I couldn't spend a year or so learning just the basics.
Yup. You're not only dealing with your own time commitments but those of your artist(s) as well, and it can be hard giving up a good chunk of control.

I echo the previous suggestions. Read comics, and get a feel for them then, as with novel publishing, figure out what you want: to find a publisher, to self publish print or digitally, etc?

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Why don't you track down an artist online who is keen for a collaboration? Write something short, get them to draw it, see how it comes out. What's to lose?

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
Why don't you track down an artist online who is keen for a collaboration?

...and if you see a unicorn while you're out there, grab it, too!

Sorry, I don't mean to be flippant, but I'm a comic artist and I have never in my life been keen for a collaboration. (I have done it for money.) I am not, myself, a good indicator of the field--there are artists who do want to collaborate with unknown writers--but they are rarer than hen's teeth. You can scour any board at DeviantArt or various comic things, and see zillions of "artists wanted" posts (and a smaller subset of "My artist bailed! They weren't as committed to the story I wrote as I was! What now!?) You will probably never see a "writer wanted" thread, and if you do, take a screenshot for posterity.

When I was heavily involved in webcomics, we generally advised creators to learn to draw, because the artists were so rare and could be so choosy. So I wouldn't rely on finding an artist to work with you. (I am told that there are literally fewer working comic artists in the US than there are neurosurgeons--not sure where that number comes from, but it wouldn't surprise me. People PAY neurosurgeons.)

Graphic novels are awesome, they're worth pursuing, but you're going to have much better luck offering cash on the barrelhead.

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Why don't you track down an artist online who is keen for a collaboration? Write something short, get them to draw it, see how it comes out. What's to lose?

My thoughts upon reading this suggestion were along the lines of RedWombat's.

It's not impossible or a completely bad idea to find someone to work with, but it depends what you're looking for. There are forums where writers and artists will collaborate for fun and practice, but because it just for fun there's no real guarantee you'll have a finished product. One or the other may bow out at any time. In fact, you may very well end up frustrated. Moreover, while it may be valuable experience in the process of comic creation, the quality may not be what you'd be able to sell. The majority of more skilled and experienced artists will want to be paid.

When I was heavily involved in webcomics, we generally advised creators to learn to draw, because the artists were so rare and could be so choosy.

Definitely. Even if they don't become great at it, writers who learn to draw tend to have a better understanding of the process and problems, in my opinion. It's horribly frustrating for an artist to also be expected to be teacher -- being asked by a client how to format for print, how to submit to publishers, how to letter, etc. -- as well.

Artists usually can only juggle a couple projects at the same time; drafts, pencils, edits, inks and colors/toning takes a lot of time. In contrast, I can think of a few comic writers off the top of my head who are working on four or five titles with four or five different artists. That's not to say writers have it "easier" or they're less important, but an artist's work is more physically intensive and has to be done at home or in their studio. Consequently, it's been my observation artists prefer to work with established names -- not necessarily "big" names -- or with people who've been recommended by other writers or artists. In other words, with people who are part of the community.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.