Common themes/plotlines in graphic novels

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrykitten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a short story in which my character reads a graphic novel that leads her to make a major decision. I know what elements need to be there, but I am very unfamiliar with graphic novels and am having trouble coming up with what the major storyline could be for the graphic novel she reads.

So, I was wondering what plots or themes are fairly common in graphic novels? I know there is a wide variety out there, but I imagine that there are still some things that turn up frequently in graphic novels.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Common manga scenario:
- A young teen or even a preteen gets some magical power or ticket to another world and explores the world without the normal restrictions of parental supervision.

Common dungeons and dragons-influenced scenario:
- A party of adventurers ranging in age from about 15 to about 25 (excluding being that age differently like elves and dwarves) have a variety of fighting abilities, some magical and some physical. They first encounter the damage left from a villain's attack, then encounter the villain's low-level minions, then some traps or puzzles, then the villain's high-level minions, and finally they defeat the big bad guy and probably get some cool treasure.

Common superhero scenario:
- Someone's loyalty to the good guys comes into doubt. One team member may be brainwashed or seduced by a villain, or an evil version of a team member may appear through magical or technological means, or it may be discovered that one of the team members' ancestors was a villain. Everyone angsts about loyalty and the importance of teamwork and the narrow line between hero and villain.

Other:
- Zombie apocalypse and vampire political struggle are two common horror-ish storylines.

Status
Not open for further replies.