Small presses and agents.

chelsie00xx

Chelsie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chelsieshock.wordpress.com
I have been searching the forums, reading as much as I can and trying to learn. Forgive me if this is mentioned somewhere, I apologize. I self published my first novel- which is a science fiction series, that I never tried to send the manuscript elsewhere. I just loved the idea of being in control of it- and it was a big motivation to keep writing that I wouldn't be discouraged by rejection letters. I know that may sound lame, but it really fueled my passions again.
Well now I'm working on an unrelated fantasy/science fiction concept that I was planning on self publishing... but I found some information about it being unlikely that an agent or small press would pick up the book if it is already self published. Now I am reconsidering my goals for this book.
I have started looking around for small presses online in my genre and have been trying to narrow the small presses that accept manuscripts. I am a little lost though. Should I look for an agent first - and then be looking at small press and independent publishers? I'm most interested in the independent publishers but I am just feeling overwhelmed with trying to find resources. Any help, advice, or personal stories would be appreciated.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Last edited:

ScarletWhisper

Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot of info for you here at the WaterCooler. A few searches using terms like "indie" and "agent" will give you many hours worth of stuff to pore over. Do give yourself time to pore over it and consider it before you make a decision.

If you decide on the agent route, it's best to query them first, in general. It makes the job harder for an agent to shop around a work that some publishers have already seen and rejected.

Or you could look at indie presses first, and build your backlist and resume before looking for an agent. Neither way is wrong--they are just different. It may also depend on if you ever want to jump to trade publishing or not.

Research and read, a lot. Then decide what path feels right for you and your particular work.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
If you want the book to be trade-published, my advice would be to look at good agents that represent your genre first and try to get the best trade deal you can with a big publisher. I wouldn't start by looking at small presses unless there's a specific press you have special reasons for wanting to work with.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with shelleyo. Don't discount bigger publishers if trade publishing is the route you want to take.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
My publisher, Permuted Press, is considered an indie press but has books on the shelf in Barnes & Noble and other retailers. In fact, I was looking at one today in Virginia Beach - "14" by Peter Clines.

Permuted still accepts unsolicited submissions via their website if you're interested: http://permutedpress.com/guidelines

I admit I do have an agent, but I got the publishing offer first.