Neologisms: Good stuff or Woebitten?

JRTroughton

Registered
Reaction score
What are your feelings on them? I'm a huge fan of China Mieville and my writing style has inevitably become somewhat derivative at times. Neologisms such as whispersmith are rife throughout his books and I find them delightful.

Of course, they have to be of quality. I'm sure nobody would be too impressed by "And Viera'th of the Sunless Sea picked up his whistleknife and stared out over the warscape beneath him, licking his lips as his blood-memories came rushing back," but I think they can certainly serve a purpose in high tier fantasy/sci-fi.

I believe I heard Christopher Priest being very critical of their use in Embassytown, and described it as lazy writing.

So... thoughts? Are neologisms in your fantasy absolutely ultragreat or not? How do you feel when you come across them?

RikWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Do you mean neologisms invented just to sound different and used in the narrative by the author, or neologisms used in the society of the story by the characters?
There are bound to be new words describing new inventions or devices in futuristic SF or different items not used in our history in other-worldly fantasy. I mean, I didn't want to call the communications devices used in my series "cell phones" or even just phones because they were more than that. I used datalinks and 'links as a colloquialism.
But if you mean just different words to describe familiar things, then no, I think it's just confusing for the readers.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
From your example, I actually quite like both warscape and bloodmemories.

I don't mind them, really. They have their place, and I probably grant them a bit more space than they're due.

JRTroughton

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I have actually used warscape in a story. "A holographic warscape of a crumbling world." was the exact line. Whistleknife is new... and I'm not convinced by it, if only because far more explanation is needed. Warscape works because it plays off of prior knowledge, I guess.

I find them really quite fun to tinker with when writing.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
'Warscape' should be a word: for images of battlefields, or burnt out villages with lines of refugees heading into the distance.
'Whistleknife' is what? A knife that whistles as it flies through the air? For really showy assassins? A knife with a whistle in the handle? For summoning the police? Or a waiter?
Does it need more explanation, or less name?
I realize the sentence you posted was only an example, put if you were to continue at that pace, three neologisms per sentence, it had better be a really simple and short story, or I'll get tired of translating as I go.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's very important to make sure the word you're inventing are easy to understand. It should be no more or less jarring than coming across a strange character name, really.
Something like whistleknife isn't really that clear; there's a lot of ways it could be interpreted, as has been said.

Again, though, I like etymology a whole lot, so I'm probably willing to put up with slightly more obscure words. When I noticed the connection between the English thatch and German dach through Old Norse/Icelandic þak, my brain damn near exploded with glee.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Treat them like whole chillies in cooking. One or two can add piquancy and flavour, although not everyone will like them. On the other hand, too many ...

I sometimes find that a new word creates itself. New words are generally (but not always) created when something doesn't fit existing words. When some clever sod invented the digital watch we needed to invent new words for both digital watch and analog watch, because up to that point we only had one word.

A Jedi's weapon is a light sabre because ... well, what else are you going to call it?

New words can also happen if the society changes. Think a Clockwork Orange or a post apocalyptic society trying to understand technology that they only distantly remember.

Just don't overdo it or make it sound too corny. There is a fine line between believable and cartoony. It is all too easy to make a new word sound like an autobot or a character from GI Joe, especially if you are gluing two existing words together - starscream, thundershadow, etc

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
A Jedi's weapon is a light sabre because ... well, what else are you going to call it?

All sorts of things, as it's a straight "blade" usually wielded with both hands and therefore not actually a sabre of any description.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Precisely. Because it is an imaginary weapon for which no conventional terms exists you are just about forced to invent a name for it. Incidentally, the other term used was "laser sword". But it's hard to call it just a sword in a universe which also includes conventional metal swords.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
Precisely. Because it is an imaginary weapon for which no conventional terms exists you are just about forced to invent a name for it. Incidentally, the other term used was "laser sword". But it's hard to call it just a sword in a universe which also includes conventional metal swords.

Also, Laser Sword just sounds a bit naff.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I once got snapped at for using the neologism "datapocalypse" in a college creative writing course.

So, I've decided to use even more of them, just to annoy that annoying person.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
So... thoughts? Are neologisms in your fantasy absolutely ultragreat or not? How do you feel when you come across them?

When they give me a new perspective, or a new word to apply where formerly there wasn't a good one, then I love them. I love many of the examples in this thread.

Made up just to Sound Different, not so much.

Disclaimer: at one time I spoke both Nadsat and Newspeak. :D

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
I rather like neologisms personally. I've utilized them in my manuscript series––however I have culled them a bit since editing. It makes sense to invent new words/ expressions/phrases/etc., or to even repurpose a word for it to have a new meaning (I rather like this method when the meaning is obvious), for a new world. That said, going overboard and making numerous new words just to replace the ones we already use––that I don't believe is a good idea.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
My all-time favorite, coined by Kurt Vonnegut to describe a character's uncontrolled jumping back-and-forth in time:

Chronosynclastic infundibulum

It's in his early, and hilarious, novel The Sirens of Titan.

Then there's always Joseph Heller's "catch-22", which wound up the title of his classic first novel and has entered the common English language. Not SF, I realize, but neologisms crop up in a lot of writing genres. Philip K. Dick and Terry Pratchett are adept at using such inventions effectively.

caw

Last edited: