Is there a book on comic books publishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently co-founded a comic books publishing company in UK.
We have 5 projects in various stages of development, that we're planning to publish throughout 2014-2015.
Is there some book that explains how the publishing industry works, marketing strategies etc?
or if you could suggest some sites that contain this kind of information.
I come from the film industry and comic book publishing is totally new to me. Would really appreciate any input on the subject.
Thx!

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I recently co-founded a comic books publishing company in UK.
We have 5 projects in various stages of development, that we're planning to publish throughout 2014-2015.
Is there some book that explains how the publishing industry works, marketing strategies etc?
or if you could suggest some sites that contain this kind of information.
I come from the film industry and comic book publishing is totally new to me. Would really appreciate any input on the subject.
Thx!
It might help to tell what knowledge you do have -- I assume you have some since you started a publishing company -- of the comic book industry.

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Bycicle fish.
Until recently I was mainly a reader :)
Also I did a documentary about the comic books scene in Macedonia (my homeland), and my knowledge of the comic book industry is mostly from the creative side. I have some basics in book publishing, but that's it.

These two titles are the only ones I could google so far, concerning comic books publishing.

Comic Books: How the Industry Works (Shirrel Rhoades, Stan Lee)
The Economics of Web Comics, 2nd Edition [Todd W Allen]

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Larry Young's True Facts walks you through things like getting stuff into Previews and whatever else you need to do to make it in the US market. No idea how dated those information are (my copy is from 2002, and I don't know if it's ever been revised.) There's also a section about publishing in Nat Gertler and Steve Lieber's Complete Idiot's Guide to Creating a Graphic Novel.

I don't know any books about breaking into the UK market, if that's what you aim for. The markets do vary, so it would make sense to look into both and then go with what works best for you.

Wasn't there a book about publishing comics via Amazon and/or its Kindle store a while ago? I forget what it was.

Speaking of which, there are quite some online opportunities to get stuff out there these days, including Internatioinally, if you're not too particular about your share of the sales. Create Space, Comixpedia (for ebooks) and the likes all have quite comprehensive tuorials to work with. Just steer away from the platforms that demand any kind of exclusive representation.

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
in this last month I found some interesting books on this subject - will share the titles as soon as I read them...

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Mark Ellis has a very good book about it, The Everything Guide to Writing Graphic Novels.

But that is from the writers' perspective, not the publisher's.

Last edited:

Komic Brew

Banned
Reaction score
Might as well give the titles now:
adventures in self-publishing - Jason Z
jumpstart your publishing dreams - W. Terry Whalin
Marvel_Comics__The_Untold_Story_-_Sean_Howe
the newbies guide to publishing - J.A. Conrath
Comic book marketing 101 - Mat Nastos
Comic Books: How the Industry Works - Shirrel Rhoades
The Economics of Web Comics, 2nd Edition - Todd Allen

I haven't read them yet, (except the Mat Nastos one, which is great)
so I don't know what they're worth...

Status
Not open for further replies.