Clean app -- Handy tool or censorship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
I was reading this article and so far, it didn't seem to bother me too much then I got to this line
was dreamed up by Idaho parents Jared and Kirsten Maughan
And I went "Maughan. Oh [Freaking] [heck], [goodness] [darn] it to [heck]" I'm related to them aren't I? AFAIK, I'm related to every Maughan in Utah and Idaho, so they're probably like third cousins or something.

I use profanity in my stories. I don't use a lot of it, and personally, I just about never swear. My personal philosophy is that swear words are like Habaneros. Awesome used right, overkill when used wrong.

As such, if I were to hear that someone was taking all swearing out of my work I'd feel pretty similar to when I cook a masterpiece for a friend and they pick parts out without trying them. I put those there on purpose!

On top of it, I really don't see anything wrong with letting your kids know about those words and concepts as long as they understand the rules and your expectations around them. Sure, that can be a hard conversation to have, but they stick. Boy let me tell you how they stick.

My mom explained to me what a vagina was when I was like five. Can't remember what brought it up, but I still remember her telling me about them. I remember my dad explaining swearing and when it was acceptable. It put me in a situation to handle those subjects when I invariably ran into them and let me be comfortable following their expectations of me.

Stuff like this...:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.