Status
Not open for further replies.

WEM

Trying to reboot reality ...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
will-moore.uk
What is the general view about using real placenames in novels?

The last part of my WIP is set in Cuba, but it's 25 years in the future and it's in a pretty poor state. It's a good setting and I've got all my challenges and settings worked out. Should I use the real country name and the names of the real towns, or disguise them?

The thing is, I like Cuba (went there for the first time this year) and I love the people - I wouldn't want to offend anyone. But would anyone see it that way?

What're your views?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've done both, using real and making up places. Each has its advantages. Made up places let you do what you want, and nobody can say "Silly! State and Main streets run parallel and don't cross!" However, it's sometimes harder for a reader (for me, anyway) to connect to a fully made up place. Often times, however, using a real place has opened up story possibilities once I found out more about it. Visiting real Nashville made my story Nashville more lively than if I had used a made-up Southern city.

I wouldn't worry about offending anyone, unless you go out of your way to use real people in the story.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Use the real name. Just changing the name won't stop readers from knowing where you mean. You'd have to change the location, and everything else, and then what's the point? There's a reason you're using Cuba as a setting, so use Cuba as a setting.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Given your scenario, I don't see why you wouldn't use Cuba as your setting. Real places are used all the time, represented for good or for ill. Go with what makes sense for the story.

WEM

Trying to reboot reality ...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
will-moore.uk
Thanks for the advice guys. Like you, Chris P, I've been to these places, so it'll make it more real. I'll use the real names.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.