How do you give yourself permission to write crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
So those people who refuse to write crap because they'd have to go back and fix it - I assume you write Golden Prose on the first draft, then?

ha. for me...i envision people going back and never being rescued. i'm sure there are those who can go back and forth...stop and edit. i just know that if i looked back, i'd be done for. i want to start with the first word and not stop until i write the last word. purge. then edit.

Reaction score
I edit with an eye on character motivations which I don't understand until the last word is written. So...I purge, then sift through all the brainvomit.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I don't set out to write crap. I don't "give my self permission" to write crap. Because if I think I can write crap, I probably will. BUT, and here's the big but, I don't go back and fix until revision. My writing may be clunky, and my english may be half-breed, but it' functional. Not crap.

Reaction score
People take the word 'crap' too literally. It just means...don't expect it to be perfect.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, and I exaggerate now, we do sometimes get people in AW that are absolutely mortified about having broken some absolute and writ-in-stone rule about silly stuff. I think you need to do your best, and not get hung up on trivialities. Trivialities can be fixed, and it's more important to get the story in shape first than to place every comma perfectly.

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
People take the word 'crap' too literally. It just means...don't expect it to be perfect.

Yeah and its advice aimed at a very particular problem. Writers say it to people who they think might be scared to put pen to paper because they are afraid of failure or are perfectionists. It is also advice given to people stuck in an endless revision loop who can't ever finish anything.
If you( generic) are not in either category it is advice that you can comfortably ignore. I don't think anyone has ever suggested you have to write a crappy first draft.

Personally I try to write a clean one and if I can see that I am going wrong or have gone wrong I stop and fix it wherever I am in the story. I like to work on solid foundations and what I have already written influences the direction of the story. It would be daft for someone who works like me to plough on to the end without fixing things in the mistaken belief that the first draft is meant to be crappy.

It doesn't matter whether you write a clean first draft, do rolling revisions, or take seventeen drafts to get to one that you can feel proud of. Nobody cares. Do whatever helps you to produce your best work.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Here's how it works:

Your Saboteur Self: "This stuff is crap. You should give up."

Your Writer Self: Keeps typing anyway.

yes. this. i went into a long spiel trying to say this...but you said it succinctly.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... it's not really necessary to write --

And I don't think most writers really do. They write without tinkering with their words and being overly concerned about getting things totally right, knowing they'll be able to take care of such later.

So bottom line, the oft quoted expression isn't to be taken literally. "Give your self permission to write fast without delineating the details, etc" would be a better way to phrase it, though not quite as dramatic, lol.

Examine the first drafts of many authors and you'd say, "Hey, that ain't half bad. Needs work, but the story is gripping and the characters while a bit flat are engaging."

Far from --

kaitiepaige17

Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!
Registered
Reaction score
I think a few years ago (and just a few months ago) all the first drafts I wrote were crap. No, SHIT! But now that I'm learning so much I feel like my first drafts are much stronger, and definitely not crap. It's just a learning process, and I feel like the more you learn, the less likely you'll be writing "crap."

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I never give myself permission to write crap. While it may turn out to be crap it is not my intention. I do the best I can and keep trying to improve. For me, giving myself permission to write crap is like giving myself permission to be a lousy parent. Can't do it.

Mistress Elysia

Overwriters Anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
Here's how it works:

Your Saboteur Self: "This stuff is crap. You don't have any talent. You should give up."

Your Writer Self: Keeps typing anyway.
Yes - this is more it than physically writing crap. It's more a case of giving your self the permission to write with confidence, rather than stopping after every sentence and fretting about it. My first drafts are coherent, spelled correctly and have good grammar - but sometimes I use one word too many times (at the moment it is 'slipped' - I am describing someone creeping into a building at night, and he had 'slipped' in through so many doors it is ridiculous. But, right now, it doesn't matter. The scene is getting written - that IS what matters. I can change the words later), or I might commit adverb sins, or skim a description of a place so I can get to a nice meaty dialogue I have got in mind. It's not so much as 'writtin crap cos I is been a lazy oik an jus wanna get stury down', but more of me saying 'the little things don't matter yet'.

It's the same with art: your outline is your basic sketch, your first draft is you putting down some flat colour and maybe a bit of outlining / basic shading. After you've done that - then comes the detailed shading and the highlighting, the playing around with light source and the finer details. You can't paint a picture without that first, basic colour being laid down, just as you can't write a book without having that first, basic draft down.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I hope my thread title makes sense. How do you keep writing, when all you want to do is go back and "fix" everything you've already written? It's always been hard for me.

How do AWers deal with this?

What's wrong with fixing your writing as you go? It seems like a valid outlet for my ADHD. :)

...squirrel!

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
Dean Koontz said that he doesn't leave a paragraph until he is happy with it. That was how he always wrote. However, when he started writing, his wife supported him. He stayed home and wrote.

I don't have that luxury. I have a full time job, two kids, a house, extended family and animals all wanting time from me. I might only have 20 minutes for my WIP today. I can't spend it perfecting a scene that might get thrown out. And I throw out many, many words. The scene that I thought was awesome frequently derails the plot.

I do, however, leave myself notes when I'm writing. I like the notes feature in Word, where I can type margin notes.

For me, it's about time management. I have to get to the end to see what needs to be changed.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
I don't give myself permission, it happens all by itself. :)

I keep moving, if I think of something I want to change sometimes I'll go back, sometimes make a note to do it later. There are always bits missing and plot mistakes to fix but I don't write straight through, I jump around in the story so it would be near impossible to get everything right on the first draft.

But hey, no one said this writing malarky was going to be easy.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Dean Koontz said that he doesn't leave a paragraph until he is happy with it. That was how he always wrote. However, when he started writing, his wife supported him. He stayed home and wrote.

I don't have that luxury. I have a full time job, two kids, a house, extended family and animals all wanting time from me. I might only have 20 minutes for my WIP today.

I didn't have that luxury either. I had two small children, a fiull time job, a husband and close extended family and animals. I couldn't even go to the bathroom by myself! I had to think of creative ways to make the time. I got up at 4:00 am and wrote until everyone else got up. I'm a morning person so it wasn't too difficult for me to do that. If you're not a morning person you just can't do it. I wrote on my lunch break at work and occassionally locked myself in the bathroom at work during a 15 minute coffee break (since that was impossible at home:D), sat on the toilet seat and wrote like a fiend. My husband took pity on me and made me a little room under the stairs that had a door with a lock on it and would entertain the kids for an hour once in a while so I could have some peace.

I wrote the same way then as I do now. I'm not in a big rush to get to the end. I don't need to write an entire chapter or even a few paragraphs before I begin revising. But that's me. I need it to be as good as it can be as soon as it can be or else I'll obsess about it until I get it right. Of course that doesn't mean it's a finished product. I still have to go back and revise the whole manuscript at least once after I'm finished. Other writers couldn't stand my process but it's the only process that works for me.

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really think I give myself permission to write crap (that seems like asking for it, in my mind) but I do give myself permission to just write..and write often.

Like they say, sometimes crap happens.

Good new is you can edit crap. You can't edit a blank screen.

On days where it's either write crap or write nothing, I choose to write [crap]. If nothing else, it gets words on the paper (I'm a slow writer), and that's half the battle for me anyway.

It also helps that I really dig editing.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So bottom line, the oft quoted expression isn't to be taken literally. "Give your self permission to write fast without delineating the details, etc" would be a better way to phrase it, though not quite as dramatic, lol.

The problem is, of course, that so many people do. You have a cute saying, and Basic Writing Questions fill up with new writers trembling in their boots because They've Done Wrong.

Same with the "adverb-rule". Same with the word "was". Same with passive-voice, which leads to people avoiding perfectly valid writing that isn't even passive. The rules appear writ-in-stone because of some cute saying that we all repeat because they are easy to remember and quick to fire off.

They're clichés, so we're breaking the rules ourselves by writing clichés.

Anyhoo, that's what I think, and it's IMHO.

G.L. Douglas

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alpharising.net
After reading the following about Ernest Hemingway, I always feel a little better about my rough drafts.

It's reported that Ernest Hemingway had great stories in his head, but was a poor writer. His editor, Maxwell Perkins is the one who brought Hemingway's stories to life and made them saleable. "I write one page of masterpiece to ninety one page of $hIt," Hemingway confided to F. Scott Fitzgerald in 1934.

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
The problem is, of course, that so many people do. You have a cute saying, and Basic Writing Questions fill up with new writers trembling in their boots because They've Done Wrong.

Same with the "adverb-rule". Same with the word "was". Same with passive-voice, which leads to people avoiding perfectly valid writing that isn't even passive. The rules appear writ-in-stone because of some cute saying that we all repeat because they are easy to remember and quick to fire off.

It is weird that faced with stuff like this people in general abandon all common sense. If you read a lot you discover that published writers do all kind of things that they shouldn't. Publicly available interviews with published writers reveal that everyone has a different approach.
There is no particular way you have to write, no magic tricks, no system, it is just about getting down a story somehow or other and making it as good as you can.
I have published sixteen books ( eight novels) and each one has required a slightly different approach. When asked I will come up with something which approximates my method, but so much depends on how things are going. I have got some books ninety percent right first time and others have involved total rewrites.
What you have to do is to give yourself permission to write - whatever that means for you. For some people the biggest issue is finding the time, for others it is the self belief, and for another group it is accepting that it isn't necessarily going to be work of genius. Sometimes giving permission means accepting all of those things. For me writing is about suspending disbelief, in the story, character and my own capacity; it is about saying -' sod it, do it and worry about it later.'
That works for me - most of the time...but it isn't a rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.