Your Top 10

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed that. That McCartney/Stevie thing did work, no doubt. I'd never heard that before. It's funny how you can hear them both in there. I love you, yeah, yeah, yeah!

I didn't think it was possible for me to appreciate Stevie more than I already did, but that take on Superstition was the best I ever heard! I like how they sit on it a little. Everything was workin'. That ending is a real groove! That trumpet is golden! Thanks for linking this stuff.

Believe it or not, I actually saw Stephen Sills as a solo act when I was a kid. It was a very big venue for some reason and I was a little not there, so I don't remember much.

One from the Beatles I always liked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxmP9UDkoGw&list=RDOxmP9UDkoGw#t=1

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
A Scottish top ten...

John Martyn
Annie Lennox
Sensational Alex Harvey Band
Edwyn Collins
Al Stewart
Nazareth
Big Country
Donovan
Jack Bruce
The Blue Nile

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Brand new here, taking a break from first edit and total music fanatic so love these lists!
1. Ryan Adams (really he'd be 1, 2 and 3, and maybe 4) both for voice and songwriting. Total genius IMO!
2. Al Green (pretty much anything)
3. Stones (OMG, put that needle down ANYWHERE! Exile on Main Street, Sticky Fingers, Tattoo You...)
4. Bonnie Raitt/Joni Mitchell, because well...seriously these ladies just rock in every way possible!
5. Garth, because a) big country fan here, b) this guy puts on a ROCKING concert, and c) his songs Rodeo or Mexico and Blood thicker than water are awesome!
6. Dire Straits//Talking Heads - love them both but couldn't decide which I loved MORE
7. Tommy Emanuel because, well, I wanna BE TE when it comes to guitar so, yeah, he's on the list!
8. Aretha -
9. Miriam Makeba because I love her, AND Hugh Masekela
10. Hmmm. Ian Tyson (adore him), the James Harmon band (where the HELL are they, what a rocking blues group?), Sleepy LaBeef. And yeah, Crosby, stills, nash and whiney old Young.

Just so many. I keep seeing lists an thinking "Yeah! Them too!"

;)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Then there's Linda Ronstadt. I've thought that I could enjoy hearing her sing the phone book, but didn't particularly like the Nelson Riddle/big band stuff.
Since posting that I've heard on the radio "What's New?" and while that style of music still isn't quite my cup of tea, I enjoyed it substantially more than I thought I would, or did so many years ago when the album came out and the song got airplay.
4. Bonnie Raitt/Joni Mitchell, because well...seriously these ladies just rock in every way possible!
Here's an extra special treat, later sung by Stephen Stills and those other guys - "it was really a nice festival, I guess ... I wrote a little song ..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRjQCvfcXn0

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
OMG - such a GREAT clip!
"I wrote a little song..."
Honestly her talent is just breathtaking (and those "other guys" weren't so bad either!!)

And Joan Armitrading! She'd be up there with Joni and Bonnie as well. Just so much great music!!!

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
My Top Ten

1. Bruce Springsteen- he will always, always, ALWAYS be the one musician I cannot live without. 'Born in the USA' was my intro to him and since then, he's my guy.

2. The Rolling Stones- because Mick and Keith

3. AC/DC - both with Bon Scott and Brian Johnson.

4. Def Leppard - everything before 'Adrenalize'. I miss Steve Clark. :(

5 Queen - needs no explaining

6. John Lennon - gone way too soon and it makes me sad, how much music we were deprived of as a result.

7. Billy Joel - the last performer left on my bucket list to see live. Someday...

8. The Who - just cuz

9. Pink Floyd - music to be mellow by.

10. Don Henley - before he decided to save the world, he wrote some awesome music. 'The End of the Innocence' is one of my favoritest albums ever.

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Happened to hear this the other night and it's been on loop in my head ever since. It's just a haunting, almost nagging kind of a song. As always, his lyrics are touching and right on point. But there's just something about the droning of this tune that cuts into you and won't let go. One thing about Bruce is he seems a truly decent guy, the kind that restores your faith in ... what? Something. Human decency, rock 'n roll, America?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYLr9FtYtME

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Since posting that I've heard on the radio "What's New?" and while that style of music still isn't quite my cup of tea, I enjoyed it substantially more than I thought I would, or did so many years ago when the album came out and the song got airplay.

Yeah, Nelson Riddle did the arrangement on that, right? I remember not being overly blown away by the album, but if I recall "What's New?" was kind of the stand-out for me. It's the rare rock singer, I think, who can do the standards. Boz Scaggs comes to mind. Maybe Don Henley - his take on "Come Rain or Come Shine" is great. Bobby Caldwell, more of an R&B singer, I guess, but he's pulled it off. Linda Ronstadt's voice is clear as country water.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
And John Lennon, what a loss, is right. Not just his music, but his voice, we could have used him. I heard Martin Scorsese say something recently that made a lot of sense. He was speaking of movies, and I won't attempt to quote, but to paraphrase, he was saying how he's discovered movies that didn't do much for him when he first saw them, but when he checked back found that they resonated. They were always there, but he had grown to be able to appreciate them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp9dc9im3-M&list=RDqp9dc9im3-M#t=4

Usher

Registered
Reaction score
1. Joan Armatrading
2. Paul McCartney
3. Emeli Sande
4. REM
5. George Ezra
6. Rick Astley
7. Nina Simone
8. Mika
9. Fun
10. Michael Ball

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
1. Joan Armatrading
2. Paul McCartney
3. Emeli Sande
4. REM
5. George Ezra
6. Rick Astley
7. Nina Simone
8. Mika
9. Fun
10. Michael Ball

Finally saw McCartney perform a few years ago. It was one of the most generous performances by an artist of his stature I'd ever seen. Three and a half hours worth, and he gave his all. It was in a reasonably sized venue, The Staple Center, and I had good seats, nine rows out. It's one I'll never forget. I read the other day that the Stones will tour the US this summer. First venue and only venue confirmed as of that reading was a fucking football stadium. Guys! Keith, Mick, and Charlie, we realize you're getting up there in age. We know you can make more bread with fewer dates if you play the big "rooms". But I just can't hang and I'll bet a lot of people can't. Just consider it, that's all I'm sayin'.

The day I saw Paul, I woke up singing this tune. With all the tunes he had to choose from, I was happy to find that it was on that night's playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFddsWq2pDw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slu1QLBncPU

The Alchemist

Student of Various Crafts
Registered
Reaction score
In no particular order:

1) Matchbox Twenty (I also like Rob Thomas' solo stuff)
2) David Bowie
3) Elton John
4) Dashboard Confessional
5) Usher
6) Michael McDonald (don't judge)
7) Brett Eldredge
8) Three Doors Down
9) Chris Young
10) Darius Rucker

Here's a link to one of my favorite Matchbox Twenty songs (and one of their lesser known songs): I Believe in Everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPA1PGbkHZo

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
You got me started on Elton John yesterday and I found myself listening to him all night. No need to apologize, it was my pleasure.

Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player

If you can get through the first song you've got it licked. Great lyric but the tune's a little on the draggy side. The rest of the tunes aren't at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FDg7-8jN4k