The Flash Fictioners' Corner Booth

pernickety

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,
Another MIA here.
I am popping in every now and then for a quick look, but not participating. Looking forward to getting back into a routine soon.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Work is starting to pile up and weekends are basically a write off (pun intended) for me, but still finding a little time during the week to keep to the YOWFF challenge.

Last week's attempt (giving up smoking) would not be suited the flash fiction site that I submit to, so I decided against it sending it in. So, technically I've missed last weeks challenge - but if Sophia and JVC don't mind, I'm gonna submit some older pieces I have to replace the non-submission from last friday :) ...and still be 17 for 17 *fingers crossed*

Or 16.5 for 17 :D

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Tsk! Feel the guilt weighing on your conscience! Feeeeel iiiiiit.... :e2teeth:

I am wondering, though - why are you only submitting to one market? Your smoking story might be fine for another. I'm pretty sure you must have seen the markets index, but just in case you haven't, here you go.

Yasaibatake

is her own imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
Dropping in because TV is distracting me from writing and I feel like if I announce it maybe I'll be more guilty about procrastinating...I've been pretty much out of the challenge for what, two months now? But I am currently working on my glorious and triumphant return! Now that I said that, I really have to get it done and ready on time...

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

No excuses this week, I had no time to even begin the challenge due to work and a family bereavement. I hope to get on this weeks challenge later and make sure I don't wilt now.

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Eamonn.

Thank you, Pernickety.

Hi all, back again. Had a tough and busy week or so, along with everything else, work and entrance exams to college swiped up all my free time.

On a positive note, I received my first review on my Flash Fiction collection on Amazon a few days ago - a 3 star! The reviewer named a few stories they liked, so I'd consider that a victory :D It's very nice to get a review when I wasn't expecting it.

Back to flash fiction again now.... :hooray:

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, Eamonn! :hi:

Congrats on that 3-star review! Have you also seen the 4-star review, here? :)

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, Eamonn! :hi:

Congrats on that 3-star review! Have you also seen the 4-star review, here? :)

:D I didn't see it Sophia! My Amazon Central account missed that one, as did I (as it's on Amazon.co.uk)! Wahoo!

Feel pretty stupid for not seeing it until now, thanks so much for pointing it out, that has made my day Sophia.

LeadHead

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just popping by to say that I'll be away for a few weeks so won't be able to write or critique anything. I hope everyone's writing goes well.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I just gotten into the whole flash fiction thing. For some reason a lot of stuff I do just seems to conclude at 600 or 800 words. Sometimes even less.

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's getting pretty quiet around these parts lately... *tumbleweed rolls across screen*

:)

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
This is what happens when LeadHead is out of town. :)

I've been wanting to recommend this course for a while to the regulars here. It's called How to Write Flash Fiction That Doesn't Suck, and is a free 3-lesson course given by author Holly Lisle. The site is here; the link to each lesson is sent out in an e-mail, one a week for three weeks, and you need to register to receive them (registration is also free). I've taken the course, and found it hugely helpful. It's a very clear, "do X, then do Y", 'step-by-step instructions with reasons' kind of course. It may not suit you, but it's short, gets to the point straight away and is worth looking at, I think, if only because it might spark a new approach to a story if anyone is a bit stalled.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
This is what happens when LeadHead is out of town. :)

I've been wanting to recommend this course for a while to the regulars here. It's called How to Write Flash Fiction That Doesn't Suck, and is a free 3-lesson course given by author Holly Lisle. The site is here; the link to each lesson is sent out in an e-mail, one a week for three weeks, and you need to register to receive them (registration is also free). I've taken the course, and found it hugely helpful. It's a very clear, "do X, then do Y", 'step-by-step instructions with reasons' kind of course. It may not suit you, but it's short, gets to the point straight away and is worth looking at, I think, if only because it might spark a new approach to a story if anyone is a bit stalled.

Thank you for this, Sophia. I'm going to look into it. It sounds very interesting.

LeadHead

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm now back and ready to write again :)

I feel a bit rusty but I'll give this course a go and I'll try to read through some of your previous submissions to get back up to speed (or maybe even faster :D).

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, LeadHead! :hi:

I'd be interested to know what those of you taking the course think of it and how it changes (if it does) your current approach to writing flash. (Don't feel obliged; I'm just nosy, and like to talk writing. :) )

Spell-it-out

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll defo give that a go, thanks Sophia!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back, Leadhead. :hi:

That course does sound interesting. And it's free. (It really is free, yes? :D ) Oh, I love free stuff. I may give this one a go.

What? We have to write a report? :eek:

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
Hello :hi:

I normally hang around in the SFF Cantina so I hope you don't mind if I wander in here as well. I promise not to double-post.

I already posted in A Year of Writing FF yesterday, and as I was wandering about I found this place. I really wanted to thank Sophia for that link to the Holly Lisle course. I signed up last night and I've been twiddling about (technical term :D ) with part 1 all day. It's really made me think about what I'm doing, and I'm only about one-third of the way through it.

I haven't written much that's over 2500 words I don't think, but I can see how you would apply a lot of this course to much longer things as well as the shorter. I'm sure it's going to make my writing much better than it has been.

So thanks Sophia, and er, as this is the corner booth, do you folks have a tea-pot? :Coffee: