Boy who inspired book says he lied

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fancy that. A child who lies! And when the lie meets with approval, embelishes the lie. Never heard of such a thing. How can this be?

Maryn, font of sarcasm

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nearly five years later, a book that purported to be a 6-year-old boy's story of visiting angels and heaven after being injured in a bad car crash is being pulled from shelves by its publisher, Tyndale House. Alex Malarkey, the boy at the center of The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven, said this week that the story was all made up.

In case you don't want to click.

It brings up a valid question, though... should you accept prima facie any extraordinary claim that doesn't have evidentiary support?
(Note that this doesn't mean you should automatically reject it, either. There is a middle ground.)

Edit: Maryn, who scares the crap out of me with her latest avatar

khobar

Be constructive
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpnixon.com
The boy's last name is a bit ironic. Hmm... ;)

BTW, Angry Guy, thanks for posting what was at the link. I should have done so.

Something really strange with this whole story. He wrote an open letter and said:

"I did not die. I did not go to Heaven," Alex wrote. He continued, "I said I went to heaven because I thought it would get me attention. When I made the claims that I did, I had never read the Bible. People have profited from lies, and continue to. They should read the Bible, which is enough. The Bible is the only source of truth. Anything written by man cannot be infallible."

He concluded, "Those who market these materials must be called to repent and hold the Bible as enough."

And I think the answer lies (no pun intended) with his mother. http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...go-to-heaven-publisher-says-it-will-pull-book

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The plausibility of the story aside, the child now lives with his mother only, who claims the profits of the book co-written by the father are not being shared with the child. So there is more going on than a spontaneous confession. And statements in the admission like: only the Bible is infallible not any book written by people.... well.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see anything about the publisher wanting royalties returned. So lying pays, eh?

Maryn, so very jaded

Donald Schneider

Registered
Reaction score
Fancy that. A child who lies! And when the lie meets with approval, embelishes the lie. Never heard of such a thing. How can this be?

Maryn, font of sarcasm

LOL and most astute!

I shall say, however, that I give the young man credit for “fessing up” at this stage. I’m surprised he didn’t indoctrinate himself into at least semi-believing it. Don’t be too hard on him, I think. People believe what they want to believe, and that's no fault of his. Confirmation bias is a powerful self-intoxicant indeed. There will be many who will simply dismiss his recantation attributing such to pressure or, ironically, to his now wanting renewed attention.