Australia is breaking my heart :(

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aw :( I'd try to cheer you up about it, but it's kinda hard with Castro showing y'all up (what a strange world!):

http://www.pangeatoday.com/cuba-sends-more-help-against-ebola-in-africa-offers-to-help-us/
The recent history of humanitarian policy here is shameful. They deny climate change.
They didn't sign the Tokyo Protocol.
They turn back refugees - and outsource asylum-seeker processing to countries like PNG and Nauru, to circumvent due-process laws by keeping the people offshore.
They banned burqas in Parliament House.

I love the fact that they're getting shown up by Cuba. The more shame for these assclowns, the better. The catch is that I think they're immune - they don't feel shame.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
First Dog on the Moon covers...well...everything, really: A racist carrot goes to Canberra.

We miss you, Gough.

Random #gamergate reference! <3 1DOTM. I wonder if anyone has asked Nick Folkes his opinion on vidya game ethics. I'm sure Nicky and the APP are stalwart #gg supporters.

Epic fuckin' fail on our part. I'd almost be tempted to analyse this stunt on its merits (few), but let's face it, it's all about image and being Tough On Borders, or WTF ever. Health considerations didn't come into it.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
The recent history of humanitarian policy here is shameful. They deny climate change.
They didn't sign the Tokyo Protocol.
They turn back refugees - and outsource asylum-seeker processing to countries like PNG and Nauru, to circumvent due-process laws by keeping the people offshore.
They banned burqas in Parliament House.

I love the fact that they're getting shown up by Cuba. The more shame for these assclowns, the better. The catch is that I think they're immune - they don't feel shame.

They haven't banned burquas in Parliament house. They were going to and then they changed their mind. What annoyed me about that story was how the internet was reporting it was scared white men wanting the ban when it was a stupid scared dumb ass white woman.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Queensland's premier, Campbell Newman, called a snap election that was meant to take the Opposition by surprise. Since there isn't much of an Opposition in Queensland, because the LNP won a gazillion seats in the last election, it mostly took his own side by surprise. There's a suggestion that he did it to out-manoeuvre his scheming colleagues, who are shocked that their policies have caused discontent within the electorate. Somehow, they thought that sacking thousands of workers, restricting freedom of association, employing under-qualified cronies in high positions, stripping environmental protection and retroactively abolishing laws to avoid prosecution for their business pals would make them shine as a glorious beacon of something something.

Queensland politicians are an odd bunch and this election is going to be quite weird.

Today, ten coppers arrested a bloke standing among some LNP volunteers in Brisbane. He was waving at the crowd and wearing a t-shirt that said, 'I'm with stupid'.

It's as if the Fitzgerald Inquiry never happened.

ETA: Twitter has taken to #imwithstupid with great enthusiasm

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, just leaving this here in case anyone was down at the Melbourne Writing Festival today... #latham

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That was quite something.

latham #mwf15 is another combo to search
You know what's great though? We have bi-partison Stupid and Offensive. So - that's better than just getting it from one side, right?

ETA: More importantly even than the MWF (i know!) is this thing that happened. In our name. Because - boats.

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Our grubby little budgie smuggling bigot of a prime minister not only wishes to deny the sanctity of marriage to the gay community but also will impose his own bigotry on other members of his party who don't share it by denying them the right to vote according to common sense, conscience and a functional brain.

What a statesman, eh?

Here's a link to a petition asking him to desist in his bigotry.

https://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/...-for-a-liberal-free-vote-on-marriage-equality

And here's another link for anyone who wants to contact the worthless little toad and tell him all about himself.

https://www.pm.gov.au/contact-your-pm

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
We've got enough RWNJs in government already, bankrupting the country financially, culturally and socially. But I suppose Trump's only bankrupted his own companies, so it might not be that bad an exchange, now I come to think of it.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Would you lot like to take Donald Trump off our hands?

caw
Helix is right, so yeah, we'll take him. As long as you don't ask for Pauline Hanson in exchange.

She cooks a mean Chiko Roll. We can't afford to lose her.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yeah. Latham.

Actually, having a foul-mouthed arsehole like him around somehow seems weirdly appropriate IMHO.

What about Barnaby Joyce? He was actually willing to support compulsory student union membership at universities if and only if the money was spent on sport.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. Latham.

Actually, having a foul-mouthed arsehole like him around somehow seems weirdly appropriate IMHO.

What about Barnaby Joyce? He was actually willing to support compulsory student union membership at universities if and only if the money was spent on sport.

Or Dyson Heydon. Who wasn't elected, but hey...

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Send both of 'em. I think I can find some shackles. If Helix can round up a few taipans and you bring a jar of funnel webs and a packet of Tim Tams, we'll have it sorted by Tuesday.

*makes a list* Taipans, some very large scrub pythons and an angry cassowary.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, did we talk about Operation Fortitude yet? Because that was a lot of fun.

ETA:
This was the take-home message from his show last night, and the one I would like to impart. Despite it all — despite the political peacocking, embarrassing exhibitions of ineptitude, and breathtaking insularity of Australia — we are able to rally behind the most unlikely displays of defiance. An indoor pigeon, strutting around an airport, who could take off and fly any time he damn well likes.
Read more at http://junkee.com/john-oliver-total...bourne-last-night-2/64330#4fOHrzcciHIzp1iv.99

We might be (we are) totally a-fuck as a nation just at the moment. But we can still appreciate a good pigeon. I'm just saying.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, the New York Times has us sussed....
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has overseen a ruthlessly effective effort to stop boats packed with migrants, many of them refugees, from reaching Australia’s shores. His policies have been inhumane, of dubious legality and strikingly at odds with the country’s tradition of welcoming people fleeing persecution and war.
More here: