Dystopia Face Off: Orwell vs. The Jenner Sisters

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
And I got grief on here for making fun of Nicole Richie's literary debut. It was supposed to be the story of a famous singer's daughter learning to reject celebrity and money in favor of love and puppies. I'm sure it took Haskins almost a week.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
And I got grief on here for making fun of Nicole Richie's literary debut. It was supposed to be the story of a famous singer's daughter learning to reject celebrity and money in favor of love and puppies. I'm sure it took Haskins almost a week.
That sounds a lot like this well-heeled celebrity, who claimed "I tried to care about money but couldn't." So she took a job giving away money.

I'd posit that it's hard to care about something one has so much of that giving it away is considered a chore.

However, this one certainly hasn't rejected celebrity... just money. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, but did she write it?

If either one of these kids had penned the novel, I wouldn't care how much fertilizer you could make from the pages. That's the difference between ... whatever this is... and say Tyra Banks. She wrote her novel. It took her years, and the end result likely wouldn't have been published without a famous name on it, but she still did it and I can respect that. I have no respect for hiring someone to write a novel because YA lit seems like the perfect commodity to get your teens into the family business of selling anything their name will fit on.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
No One Bought Kendall and Kylie Jenner's Terrible Dystopian Sci-Fi Novel

A nice lesson for teenage Kardashian daughters Kendall and Kylie Jenner might be that it's fun to explore your passions without consideration for subsequent monetary gain. Perhaps that's the takeaway from the news that the teens' dystopian sci-fi novel, Rebels: City of Indra, sold approximately 0 copies.

According to Nielsen BookScan data obtained by Radar, the book that the Jenner girls didn't exactly write has sold just 13,000 copies since it went on sale in June. Comparatively speaking, reality star Lauren Conrad's novels sold about 250,000 copies each in the first year.

Perhaps people aren't interested in Rebels: City of Indra because Kendall and Kylie admitted upfront it's based on a movie that doesn't exist. The pair told Good Morning America, "We were saying, if we were to do a movie, like, what would we wanna do? Like, if we were to be in it, like, what movie would we wanna be in?"
http://gawker.com/no-one-bought-kendall-and-kylie-jenners-terrible-dystop-1652718457

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Another test

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I got 19 out of 20 correct.

I missed #18 -- "The only evidence is inside my own mind, and I don't know with any certainty that any other human being shares my memories."

I can't remember this bit or where it came from at all. Now it's going to bug me and I'll need to dig up the book and find it.

I'm very pleased that the Jenner sisters' book wasn't a bestseller. However, nothing will renew my faith in humanity since I learned that "Fifty Shades of Grey" hauled in $95 million.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I am pleased too, but...honestly I think we all have some crap we've written from when we were their age that wasn't good. They are in the position of being famous for no good reason and having their crap published. If they were born like regular kids, maybe they could have learned from writing crap and gotten better like the rest of us.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't argue with that.

Not to mention that their every stupid move as teenagers will be recorded for posterity and they'll never be allowed to forget it. I am grateful that I can mercifully pretend most of my teenage idiocies never happened.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
A little more faith in humanity, restored.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
. . . mumm. . .mumble a sinister grumble re: shoeboxes full of dried shit from the 80s & time after time ending bitterly garbled, ending abruptly/cut-off. . . trailing into wheezing quiet as the echoes of opportunity's knock fade.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
16. Only a week in and the girls followed him in a giggling pack, fighting to sit next to him at lunch, offering him bites of their rations. Drooling over a guy? Absurd. But giving away food? Completely insane.
I'm pretty sure that's from Orwell. Or from Heathers.