Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are right

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
No, but they didn't spend centuries. They didn't live for "centuries" - so, they're just some people who tried to promote an idea of something. But what matters is the idea that's more generally held.

Yes, they actually have spent centuries. Why? Because Christian apologetics has existed for nearly two millennia.

A quick re-reading of my post will (hopefully) reveal to you that I said "theological apologists...have spent centuries," NOT that the specific people I listed had literally, themselves, spent/lived centuries. (i.e. "theological apologists LIKE....") I was listing examples of specific apologists. Sorry if that wasn't clear. But it should have been to a good faith reading.

Second time in this thread someone has failed to actually read what I wrote and instead replied to a total distortion of their own creation of what I said. Interesting.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, they actually have spent centuries. Why? Because Christian apologetics has existed for nearly two millennia.

A quick re-reading of my post will (hopefully) reveal to you that I said "theological apologists...have spent centuries," NOT that the specific people I listed had literally, themselves, spent/lived centuries.

Second time in this thread someone has failed to actually read what I wrote and instead replied to a total distortion of their own creation of what I said. Interesting.

Um no. Because you said "apologists like" and then you named some. So the inference is etc. But if you find that interesting, then hey - great. You know who is a billion times more interesting that I can be on a bulletin board? Marilynne Robinson in a book. Love her to bits. Though she doesn't so much as mention the naked mole rat which frankly I feel is pretty much at the core of God: Yes or No?

There is just no excuse for the naked mole rat, in my humble opinion.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You are so going to hurt Drooly's feelings.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You are so going to hurt Drooly's feelings.

Stop it! I'm on Drooly's side! I love Drooly. Drooly and I have been like *this* since third class. Truly. Truly, Drooly. Rooly truly.

Drooly.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Um no. Because you said "apologists like" and then you named some. So the inference is etc. But if you find that interesting, then hey - great.

So, you were more interested in needlessly pointing out a meaningless grammatical quibble than making an actual thoughtful point?

Fair enough.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, you were more interested in needlessly pointing out a meaningless grammatical quibble than making an actual thoughtful point?

Fair enough.

Wow. Okay. Well - hugs to you, too....

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
What this conversation needs is a naked mole rat.

ETA:

Come to think of it, most conversations in P&CE could use a naked mole rat.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Well, I for one would find it difficult to maintain a heated argument in the presence of a naked mole rat.

I feel they'd be an instrument for intra-forum peace and harmony.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Fair enough.

I did make a point, to be fair. I said
what matters is the idea that's more generally held.

We don't have to discuss it (I'm no Marilynne Robinson) but it's there. I did make it.

Plus further points about naked mole rats.

I feel I've contributed.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
The naked mole rats alone made it all worthwhile.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I did make a point, to be fair. I said

what matters is the idea that's more generally held.

We don't have to discuss it (I'm no Marilynne Robinson) but it's there. I did make it.

Yes, but within the context of the back-and-forth between me and benbradley, it's a very unclear point and I honestly have no idea what it means.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone besides me think the previous pope kinda sorta looked like a naked mole rat?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
it's a very unclear point and I honestly have no idea what it means.

Well, it means that the overarching idea that's held by the general (current) churchgoer is more significant that the definitions placed on specific doctrinal teachings by various (dead) apologists. Religions - the successful ones - grow and evolve. And doctrines change.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Well, it means that the overarching idea that's held by the general (current) churchgoer is more significant that the definitions placed on specific doctrinal teachings by various (dead) apologists. Religions - the successful ones - grow and evolve. And doctrines change.

Is there just one overarching idea that the general (current) churchgoer believes? What is that idea?

Or, is the doctrinal belief(s) of the general churchgoer a complex set that is most heavily influenced by their preachers/pastors who, in turn, take their doctrinal cues from the major theologists and apologists of their particular denomination which are, in turn, heavily influenced by cultural shifts?

Either way, it may be an interesting point but, as a response to my earlier post, I don't really see what it has to do with what I was saying in this post:

Originally Posted by benbradley
Is it Christian doctrine that all Christian doctrine is logically compatible? I know a lot of people assume it all should be.
If one believes the Bible is the inerrant Word of God and believes His teachings/commandments to be perfect, then yes. And that's what theological apologists (e.g. Plantinga, William Lane Craig, St. Anslem, Aquinas, Tertullian, etc.) have spent centuries trying to prove. Granted, they dance with modal logic which can be logically compatible with anything because, you know, "possibilities."

Ben was asking if it's "doctrine" that all Christian doctrine must be logically compatible. And, I answered that, yes, it is IF you are a person who believes that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God and believes His teachings/commandments to be perfect.

The belief that God is perfect and that His commands are perfect IS part of major Christian doctrine. It is something that must be believed in the overwhelming majority of Christian faiths. Sure, that might change one day, but we're talking about the reality of now and not what might happen in 100 years.

I was also making the point (expounding on it here) that apologists have, over the centuries and continuing to today, utilized their time to create some rather complex and creative post hoc rationalizations for how the many facets of Christian doctrine (as proscribed mainly in the Bible) are all logically coherent, given that many of those Biblical teachings/commandments are severely contradictory.

What any of that discussion of doctrinal logical coherence and theological attempts at compatibilism has to do with your point about "the overarching idea that's held by the general (current) churchgoer is more significant..." is something that I'm not following.

Indeed, you brought up a point. But it seems to be one that is, at best, slightly orthogonal and, at worst, totally unrelated to what ben and I were discussing. Thus, my confusion.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed, you brought up a point. But it seems to be one that is, at best, slightly orthogonal and, at worst, totally unrelated to what ben and I were discussing. Thus, my confusion.

I guess I thought it was an open thread. Didn't realise it belonged to the two of you. My bad. I'll just take my naked mole rat and go home.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
All I'm saying is that, as a direct response to my post (which is what you posted it as), it made no sense. You're, of course, free to make whatever posts and points that you wish, but don't get offended when I get confused at you posting a total non sequitur.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All I'm saying is that, as a direct response to my post (which is what you posted it as), it made no sense. You're, of course, free to make whatever posts and points that you wish, but don't get offended when I get confused at you posting a total non sequitur.

Oh goodness, it takes more than that to offend me. Much more.

I responded to your post alone. If I'd been responding to you-and-whomever, I'd have multi-quoted. But honestly, it was just a post-in-passing. It wasn't meant to derail. The mole rat was meant to derail.

I don't remember what point you were making now, so let's just move on...

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
If one believes the Bible is the inerrant Word of God and believes His teachings/commandments to be perfect, then yes. And that's what theological apologists (e.g. Plantinga, William Lane Craig, St. Anslem, Aquinas, Tertullian, etc.) have spent centuries trying to prove. Granted, they dance with modal logic which can be logically compatible with anything because, you know, "possibilities."

Hey, now you're dissing modal logic. Modal logic doesn't make everything logically compatible. It expands the space of logical statements and allows for an interconnection between possible worlds. But each of those words has to be internally consistent.

So, if in a given world all newts are green, it is still possible that there exists a world in which there exists a beige newt. But it is not possible that in the first world there is a beige newt, because in that world all newts are green. There are also no worlds in which 1=\= 1, because it is necessary that 1=1.

And speaking of the problem of evil and possible worlds. Leibniz' argument that given a God with the three omnis, we would have to be living in the best of all possible worlds is logically accurate. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_of_all_possible_worlds

But, mostly, what this kind of stuff shows is the irrelevance of theology to religion. Because there is a real question of whether the religion is what the theologians say or what the people practice.

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, now you're dissing modal logic. Modal logic doesn't make everything logically compatible. It expands the space of logical statements and allows for an interconnection between possible worlds. But each of those words has to be internally consistent.

So, if in a given world all newts are green, it is still possible that there exists a world in which there exists a beige newt. But it is not possible that in the first world there is a beige newt, because in that world all newts are green. There are also no worlds in which 1=\= 1, because it is necessary that 1=1.

And speaking of the problem of evil and possible worlds. Leibniz' argument that given a God with the three omnis, we would have to be living in the best of all possible worlds is logically accurate. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_of_all_possible_worlds

But, mostly, what this kind of stuff shows is the irrelevance of theology to religion. Because there is a real question of whether the religion is what the theologians say or what the people practice.

I was kind of teasing about modal logic. Plantinga's reworking of the Ontological Argument drips with modal logic, and it doesn't make the ontological argument any less stupid than it has always been.

I've also always found Leibniz's "best possible world" argument to be incredibly weak, theologically incoherent and now, given how much more we know of the Earth and universe, entirely obsolete.

However, as distant as theologian apologetics are from what is generally taught in church, they do influence what is taught in seminaries and preaching colleges, so educated preachers (rather than self-taught people like Joel Osteen) are influenced, at least academically, by advanced theology and apologetics.

How much of that trickles down to the average churchgoer via sermons/homilies is debatable, and it's a slow process. It's an indirect influence, but influential nonetheless.