Sen. Wendy Davis Announces Run for Governour

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
What would Texas have to change to make you content to be in Texas?

Well, having lived in Texas (Dallas area), and with both relatives and business reasons to travel there (Houston, Austin, San Antonio) regularly, here's what, in no particular order:

1. Weather.
2. Topography.
3. Weather.
4. Climate.
5. Weather.
6. Yee-haw, ain't we the best, Texans.
7. Weather.
8. Climate.
9. Topography.
10. DFW airport.
11. GHWBush International Airport a lifetime's drive through urban sprawl north of Houston.
12. Weather.
13. The Dallas Cowboys.
14. Climate.
15. Topography.
16. Houston.
17. Dallas.
18. Driving in Austin.
19. Weather.
20. Climate.

caw

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Well, having lived in Texas (Dallas area), and with both relatives and business reasons to travel there (Houston, Austin, San Antonio) regularly, here's what, in no particular order:

1. Weather.
2. Topography.
3. Weather.
4. Climate.
5. Weather.
6. Yee-haw, ain't we the best, Texans.
7. Weather.
8. Climate.
9. Topography.
10. DFW airport.
11. GHWBush International Airport a lifetime's drive through urban sprawl north of Houston.
12. Weather.
13. The Dallas Cowboys.
14. Climate.
15. Topography.
16. Houston.
17. Dallas.
18. Driving in Austin.
19. Weather.
20. Climate.

caw

I think if Wendy Davis can convince voters she can change the climate and turn the Dallas Cowboys into a Super Bowl winning team, than Greg Abbott stands no chance in hell. If her campaign is smart,. they will get right on that.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
emax said:
What would be the most ideal version of Texas for you? What would Texas have to change to make you content to be in Texas?

Filigree said:
More like Austin, less like Tyler.

Having lived in both Austin and (right next to) Tyler, I agree a hundred percent!

Tyler and the surrounding area are demonstrative of everything wrong with Texas. Growing up there, I often referred to it as "The buckle of the Bible belt - you know, the part your parents hit you with." I made that joke for many years, and no one who lived there ever questioned me on it - they just laughed and agreed. Louie Gohmert represents Tyler. Need I say more?

Austin has tons of public libraries and live music. It has gorgeous parks, job opportunities, and a lot of open-minded, reasonable individuals. You want to know the difference between Austin and Tyler? Try telling people you are pagan in each of them. Or just walk down the street with your hair dyed pink. Heck, even though Tyler is way smaller than Austin, try driving in either of them.

In Tyler, the homeless are generally thought of dirty, nasty things to be forced out of the city by any means necessary. There are little to no resources for them, because the thought is that supporting them only encourages them to stick around. In Austin, the homeless have resources, and there are areas where they sit on the side of the street performing music or selling art or macrame and do pretty well with it. Many of them have big, sleek, well-fed and well-trained dogs. A homeless man ran for mayor repeatedly, and always got a fair number of votes, despite being fairly well understood to be mentally ill.

The police in Tyler were always fairly ugly to me when I encountered them. I don't know if there still is, but there used to be a curfew there, and I look young for my age and worked nights so this led to me being harassed by the police on a regular basis. I remember trying to buy toilet paper late at night, at one point, and it turning into a full-blown confrontation with the cops. The police in Austin, however, were always polite to a fault. I lived in a rough neighborhood, but the police were always friendly. Even when they busted the drug dealer next door, they were very much by the books, and were very professional and even gentle with him. When my neighbor, who was elderly and suffered mental illness, broke into my house, they were there within five minutes and seemed to see it as mostly something to be worked out with words and reasoning. They said I could press charges if I wanted to, but urged me to consider my neighbor's advanced age and deteriorating mental state, while promising to patrol the street more often to "keep a closer eye on him" for my comfort but also for my neighbor's safety.

Austin is, overall, a great place to live.

Tyler is, for me, a nightmare.

Unfortunately, Austin is Texas's "liberal oasis," and most of Texas is much more like Tyler than Austin. I don't think Wendy Davis wants to see all of Texas look like any other state - just that, as a Democrat, she'd rather it look like its capitol rather than it's backwater bullshit boondocks (and places like Tyler.)

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
… Unfortunately, Austin is Texas's "liberal oasis," and most of Texas is much more like Tyler than Austin. I don't think Wendy Davis wants to see all of Texas look like any other state - just that, as a Democrat, she'd rather it look like its capitol rather than it's backwater bullshit boondocks (and places like Tyler.)

Exactly.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
NBC News projects that Republican Greg Abbott will be the next governor of Texas, beating Democrat Wendy Davis.

Davis was once talked about as Democrats’ best shot at turning the red state purple. She excited Democrats in the state and around the country after her defiant filibuster on the floor of the Texas Senate in opposition to a strict anti-abortion bill. That action propelled Davis into the arms of donors and into the gubernatorial race.

But Davis failed to make any definitive move against challenger Greg Abbott, Texas’ Attorney General. Abbott continuously led in the polls throughout the race and polled ahead of Davis by an average of 15 points heading into Election Day.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ele...-texas-gov-race-defeating-wendy-davis-n241496

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Now: It should be said, and many people are saying it, that Davis and her team ran a poorer-than-expected campaign overall, and that the allegedly-brilliant team running the Democrats’ new Texas ground game were not in fact so brilliant. But the more important issue, surely, is that the Democrats decided that it made sense to run, well, Wendy Davis as their “change-the-map” candidate in Texas. Nunn and Carter in Georgia were nominations that fit reasonably well with the facts on the ground, and while they obviously disappointed Nunn did at least outperform the last two Democratic Senate nominees in her state. Davis, on the other hand, actually underperformed the Democratic nominee’s totals in the last two head-to-head races against Rick Perry … which is, again, pretty much exactly what you’d expect when you nominate a figure who owed her prominence to a filibuster on late-term abortion to contest a statewide rate in Texas.

Yes, the social conservatism of Hispanics, while real enough, is sometimes overstated; yes, polling on abortion is always fluid and complicated, in red states as well as blue. But it still should be obvious that if your long-term political vision requires consolidating and mobilizing a growing Hispanic bloc in a state that’s much more religious and conservative than average, nominating a culture-war lightning rod is just about the strangest possible way to go about realizing that goal, no matter what kind of brilliant get out the vote strategy you think you’ve conjured up or how much national money you think she’ll raise. It would be a little bit like, I don’t know, nominating a political-novice Tea Partier who owed her prior fame to a pro-abstinence campaign to contest a winnable race in a deep-blue, more-secular-than-average northeastern state. Not that the Republican Party would ever accidentally do anything like that, of course.

But even that joke is part of the point: The Christine O’Donnell thing really did happen more or less by accident, because she happened to be in the right place at the right time to catch an anti-establishment wave and win a primary in which she was supposed to be a protest candidate. Whereas the Davis experiment was intentionally designed: She was treated to fawning press coverage, lavished with funding, had the primary field mostly cleared for her, and was touted repeatedly as part of an actual party strategy for competing in a conservative-leaning state. Of course she had a much more impressive resume than O’Donnell, with less witchcraft and real political experience, and in that sense she made a more credible candidate overall. (Though, ahem, O’Donnell actually outperformed Davis at the polls in the end …) But in terms of their signature issues and their public profiles, they were equally absurd fits for the tasks they were assigned; it’s just that in Davis’s case nobody on the left of center wanted to acknowledge it.
http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/07/the-wendy-davis-experiment/

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The history of Texas governors is interesting. Democrats held the position for more than 100 years from 1874 without a break until 1979, before only the fourth Republican Texas governor won the office (since the first governor in 1846). Then it flip-flopped for a few terms, with the last Democratic governor being Ann Richards (1991-1995).

George Bush was elected in 1995 and Republicans have had a stranglehold on the office since then. It does not appear the Democrats will be back any time soon. Davis never really had a chance, but the Democrats had to put someone up. They couldn't just concede the position without putting up some resistance, however futile.

And yes, my wife and I both voted for Davis, because opposition voices need to be heard.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I agree it's mostly accurate, though there's one dimension it leaves out, IMO. Any Texas Democrat without national appeal is going to have limited ability to fundraise. But Davis suddenly had a national spotlight and donations started pouring in from out of state. So in that respect, I don't think it was the stupidest decision ever for the state party, but I do think they overestimated their own ability to spend that money in a way it'd be able to convince local voters to support Davis.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
In that sense, the Wendy Davis experiment isn’t just an example of how media bias on culture-war issues can hurt Democrats (by leading them into fond delusions) as well as help them. It’s also a case study in the phenomenon I was talking about earlier this week, the way that political elites can effectively choose the kind of coalitional strategies that have given us our current weird midterm-presidential see-saw. A lot of smart liberals — including, in different ways, Jamelle Bouie and Will Saletan in pieces for Slate today — are writing about that see-saw as though it’s just a brute fact, an inevitable reality on which all strategic thinking should be founded. But Davis’s strange candidacy suggests that some of the ways in which the polarization we have exists because of leaders as well as followers, elites as well as ordinary voters. No blind historical or demographic process forced the Democrats to elevate Davis rather than a candidate better suited to her state. But she was the one they really wanted, which means that they chose the entirely-foreseeable result.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Wendy Davis has said she regrets expressing support for the open carry of handguns in her failed gubernatorial bid.

According to the San Antonio Express-News, Davis says the position “wasn’t really in keeping” with her actual view and “strayed” from her core beliefs.

She supported legislation last year to allow college students with concealed handgun licenses to keep weapons in their cars. The positions put her at odds with the Democratic party.

The statement comes with the Texas Legislature poised to consider open carry in the session that begins in January. It would allow people with concealed handgun licenses to wear a pistol on their hip while in public.

Governor-elect Greg Abbott has said he’ll sign an open-carry bill into law if legislation comes to his desk.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/12/29/wendy-davis-regrets-campaign-stance-on-open-carry/

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Wendy Davis has said she regrets expressing support for the open carry of handguns in her failed gubernatorial bid.

According to the San Antonio Express-News, Davis says the position “wasn’t really in keeping” with her actual view and “strayed” from her core beliefs.

She supported legislation last year to allow college students with concealed handgun licenses to keep weapons in their cars. The positions put her at odds with the Democratic party.

The statement comes with the Texas Legislature poised to consider open carry in the session that begins in January. It would allow people with concealed handgun licenses to wear a pistol on their hip while in public.

Governor-elect Greg Abbott has said he’ll sign an open-carry bill into law if legislation comes to his desk.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/12/29/wendy-davis-regrets-campaign-stance-on-open-carry/
Extra! Extra! Politician Values Votes Over Principles!

Film at Eleven!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Half of the people in my county already open carry, so that issue is sort of a non-issue here. :Shrug:

I would add that there was not a single dollar wasted on a five county area around my county by the state democratic party. Not a single media ad, no pollsters, no offices, no yard signs, and no candidate was fielded in any office. All incumbent republicans ran unopposed so there wasn't much to vote for except state level, and none that really impacted my county. Just to throw away my votes, I voted libertarian for all judge seats. :ROFL:

I am republican, but might have considered voting for her if she hadn't been a flip-flopper. I hate that in a politician.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The issue is...do we not vote for someone because they stick with an opinion that is wrong against all evidence, or do we not vote for someone because they change their mind?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i fail to see how that is the issue when she simply says she acted against her beliefs.

this is not the obama-esque "evolved" rationalization.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I won't vote for someone who expresses an opinion, makes that opinion part of the platform that they wish people to sponsor and then changes that opinion and platform because it wasn't as popular as they anticipated. It tells me that they'll likely do it again.

I know I will never find a candidate who believes exactly as I do in all things. The only thing I can go by is what they say they stand for. If that changes, then IMO, they stand for nothing. :Shrug:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
The issue is...do we not vote for someone because they stick with an opinion that is wrong against all evidence, or do we not vote for someone because they change their mind?
She didn't change her mind. She voiced an opinion she thought would get her votes, even though it was contrary to her true principles, abandoning her core beliefs in a fit of naked opportunism.

We surely shouldn't vote for people who do that. Or are you saying that we should?