Rob Ford steps aside in mayor race, Doug Ford steps in

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-of-mayoral-race-doug-ford-steps-in-1.2764485

The faces of disgust on the reporters faces are priceless.

But yeah, for those who stopped following or are new, Rob Ford was running for mayor again but got hospitalised earlier this week. Doctors diagnosed him with an abdominal tumour of some sort.

So the decision has become that Rob Ford step aside from the mayor race and instead is going to run as a councillor. His brother, as much a bully but much more of an asshole, has decided to replace him. 2 pm is the deadline for new entrants and for taking yourself off the name for the ballot. Looks like they did it in the nick of time.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, Torontonians might get lucky. Doug's papers were out of order and he has a half an hour to get them fixed!

Alan_Often

Swashbuckler
Registered
Reaction score
As an unfortunate Torontonian it's depressing to think of my tax dollars going to these two hosers for another term. Time for the Fords to take off, eh?

Alan_Often

Swashbuckler
Registered
Reaction score
Ford won the last election campaigning against government waste and overspending. The Fords are beating the same drum now and they have a lot of supporters who don't think beyond the slogans. Ford has a foothold in the Greater Toronto Area suburbs where "anti-lefty" sentiments can be quite strong. This despite the fact that Rob's government has been just as wasteful as the one he decried.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
So what's the opposition like this time? Are they united behind a single candidate?

caw

This time around, John Tory was pulling ahead. It was looking like Rob Ford was going fall in second place. Olivia Chow was thought to be a formidable challenger but she has seen a spectacular fall in the folls into third place.

What happens now is that Rob Ford now gets to run in Ward 2 that Michael Ford, Rob Ford's nephew, was running in. Doug Ford was originally stepping away from politics, knowing that he had no popularity and did not have any more gas in him politicswise, so that he could head back to Chicago and go back to running Deco Labels which Randy Ford, Rob and Doug's other brother, had been running poorly. Doug is still stepping aside through attrition, knowing that he won't get elected as mayor while allowing Rob Ford to remain in office as a councillor in his old ward. Or at least that is what he intends. Doug wants to keep Rob away from Deco Labels, so he is going to do his damned best to keep Rob in office so he can follow his dad's dream. And it is hopefully there Rob can ground himself somehow or otherwise be the noisebox on council that he has apparently raised to be.

Iron Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Who the heck is voting for these clowns? Is the opposition that bad?

From what little I understand, Toronto 15-16 years ago merged its urban area with many suburbs surrounding it. The urban area was very left, and the suburbs actually fairly right.

The urban elite dominated the political landscape, and put in ideas like converting highway lanes into bike lines for commuters. The surburban crowd was outraged meanwhile the urban crowd was patting themselves on the back for how brilliant they were.

There seems to be a serious core of supporters who vote for Ford just to poke the Toronto left leaning Urban Elite in the eye.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/rob-ford-how-did-toronto-get-here/

Any left leaning papers just HATE HATE HATES him. If you don't like leftist policies, what better person to vote for?

Here's some other articles:

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2013-05-17/the-almost-good-reasons-toronto-elected-rob-ford

http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/152185

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/29/who-elected-rob-ford

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Can we not use the term "urban elite". It was coined by the Fords to make his Everyman ploy even stronger (I hate that "I'm just one of you!" In a city made up of tons of different cultures he is a white extremely wealthy xenophobic homophobic sexist. He's nothing like the majority of Torontonians). Many of the people who live downtown are oppposite of "elite", they are working class and poor. There are rich people too of course but that's not unique to the urban core. In fact it's the suburbs where people own giant houses and two cars and, like the Ford family, have lots and lots if money.

Both downtown and the suburbs have unique issues and none are greater than the other. It was a right wing politician and friend of Ford, Mike Harris, who amalgamated the city in the hopes the more conservative suburbs would help the province now win Toronto. It was a tactical move and was done despite the people voting against it. And it has since then not served the people. Both the downtown and suburbs get screwed over because of it, the only folks who benefit are politicians. It's ruining our city. The entire city. Downtown and suburbs.

Sticks

Registered
Reaction score
Can we not use the term "urban elite". It was coined by the Fords to make his Everyman ploy even stronger (I hate that "I'm just one of you!" In a city made up of tons of different cultures he is a white extremely wealthy xenophobic homophobic sexist. He's nothing like the majority of Torontonians). Many of the people who live downtown are oppposite of "elite", they are working class and poor. There are rich people too of course but that's not unique to the urban core. In fact it's the suburbs where people own giant houses and two cars and, like the Ford family, have lots and lots if money.

Both downtown and the suburbs have unique issues and none are greater than the other. It was a right wing politician and friend of Ford, Mike Harris, who amalgamated the city in the hopes the more conservative suburbs would help the province now win Toronto. It was a tactical move and was done despite the people voting against it. And it has since then not served the people. Both the downtown and suburbs get screwed over because of it, the only folks who benefit are politicians. It's ruining our city. The entire city. Downtown and suburbs.

As a former Torontonian, I couldn't agree more, Toothpaste.

The Ford brothers may dress, talk, and act like buffoons, but if anyone is an "elite", it's them. Not the average person struggling to earn a living downtown.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
This time around, John Tory was pulling ahead. It was looking like Rob Ford was going fall in second place. Olivia Chow was thought to be a formidable challenger but she has seen a spectacular fall in the folls into third place.

John Tory is pretty good when it comes to losing elections though. When he was leader of the provincial Tories (since what other party could he belong to?), the party not only lost the election, but he didn't win his seat. And then he persuaded an MPP to step down so he could run in that riding in a by-election. It was a fairly safe seat for the Conservatives. But he still managed to lose it. He's also lost a race for mayor in the past.
Despite this, he seems decently well-liked, and I've heard good things about his radio show.

There's still a month or so to go, and I think anything could happen.

I wish Rob Ford all the best for his recovery, but I do not want him to be mayor ever again. Nor do I want his brother to win.

My voting plan for months has been to vote for whoever has the best chance of beating Rob--and now Doug--Ford. Be it Olivia Chow or John Tory...I'm okay with either. And I've heard many people say the same thing. Anyone but Ford.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Off topic but also related to elections in Canada, there is a very good chance the PCs will sweep all four byelections in Alberta.

For other Ontario Elections:

Joe Fontana is out in London. Replaced by Matt Brown.

Bonnie Crombie takes over for Hazel McCallion, the longest serving mayor in Canada, in Mississauga.

Watson wins handily in Ottawa.

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Please tell me you made up this surname. Please.

caw

No.

In a not-too-far-in-the-past Ontario Provincial elections, he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with a last-minute promise to bring Creationism into schools.

Sadly, he was the least bad of the top three candidates in tonight's elections. Ford, for reasons already given and Chow, because when she was Councillor (I lived in her ward at the time) practically rubber-stamped every single condo project (Toronto is now 2nd to Chicago for skyscrapers; it used to be waaaay behind) and there was never a photo-op she ever missed.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Off topic but also related to elections in Canada, there is a very good chance the PCs will sweep all four byelections in Alberta.

For other Ontario Elections:

Joe Fontana is out in London. Replaced by Matt Brown.

Bonnie Crombie takes over for Hazel McCallion, the longest serving mayor in Canada, in Mississauga.

Watson wins handily in Ottawa.

Which means . . . . what? I'm seriously interested, but I don't know doodlysquat about these names, and what they represent.

It's kind of like me telling you that Walker is likely to oust Parnell as Governor of my state, and that Sullivan is similarly likely to oust Begich as U.S. Senator. The first, Walker, is an Independent allied with a Dem running mate, while Parnell is an incumbent Republican Governor so unpopular in a heavily Republican state that he's about to be kicked out of office. In the second, a Republican challenger holds a relatively slim lead in the polls against his Democratic incumbent, but I suspect he wins.

We need a bit of background. What happens in Canada is not inconsequential to the U.S., and don't start thinking that.

caw

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry blackbird, only Toronto matters :D

Erm, Hazel McCallion was something like 100 years old and has been Mayor in Mississauga since Elvis was thrusting his hips on the Ed Sullivan Show and hugely popular despite her drunk driving. As for the rest, not so sure ... :chair

Romantic Heretic

uncoerced
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.romantic-heretic.com
No.

In a not-too-far-in-the-past Ontario Provincial elections, he snatched defeat from the jaws of victory with a last-minute promise to bring Creationism into schools.

Sadly, he was the least bad of the top three candidates in tonight's elections. Ford, for reasons already given and Chow, because when she was Councillor (I lived in her ward at the time) practically rubber-stamped every single condo project (Toronto is now 2nd to Chicago for skyscrapers; it used to be waaaay behind) and there was never a photo-op she ever missed.

All Tory is is Ford without the substance abuse problems and anger management issues.

He'll cut taxes, then services, then when he retires he'll collect a nice right wing welfare job far away from the city he helped turn into a cesspool.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Actually no he won't. He's only got one vote on council. Ultimately even when Ford was in power he didn't get to do too much because people quickly stepped away from him and his policies. The biggest role of mayor in my opinion, in Toronto at least, is to represent the city on the international stage. Yes he has more sway and influence in council, but if people disagree he still only has one vote. What matters more is how the rest of the world sees our mayor, and I am grateful they don't see our mayor as a clown anymore.

Now had Tory won the provincial election, I'd have some very different rather choice words for him and would agree with you far more. And I didn't vote for him in this municipal election either. But his ability to do damage as Mayor simply is not nearly as great or possible as Premier. And that's a very important distinction.

Tory is not Ford because Tory isn't going to humiliate us on the public stage. Or at least, he'd better not.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
All Tory is is Ford without the substance abuse problems and anger management issues.

He'll cut taxes, then services, then when he retires he'll collect a nice right wing welfare job far away from the city he helped turn into a cesspool.

An Olivia Chow supporter, I assume...

;)