Next Off Q: Jian Ghomeshi and subsequent sexual assault/harassment cases

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
So. . . Jian Ghomeshi has been fired from CBC. CBC doesn't have many stars in its stable, what with our pitiful star system. But yeah, getting ugly right now.

For those not in Canada, Jian Ghomeshi is a personality on CBC Television and Radio. He hosts the show Q which has some popularity. He interviews celebrities and he holds talks on various things from the arts to current events. He is the biggest name on CBC after Don Cherry and Don Cherry has moved on to Sportsnet after CBC conceded its Hockey Night in Canada broadcast.

Anyways. He got fired.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/jian-ghomeshi-host-of-q-no-longer-with-cbc-1.2813670

And his response (apart from the lawsuit):

https://www.facebook.com/jianghomeshi/posts/10152357063881750

And rumoured allegations:

http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/non-date

And comment on said rumoured allegations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJI4fWYRPLM

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i always found moxy fruvous amusing and occasionally pretty smart, but it sounds like jian's a real prick and it's not a secret in his circles.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly don't see this going anywhere. Considering how vicious teh intarwebz has gotten of late, it's his word against the CBC's if the women involved don't come forward with formal statements.

I take that back. I didn't realize there was much, much more to this than I'd realized. Thanks to everybody for the linkages.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
And here's the tip of the iceberg, the first volley from the Toronto Star's investigation into multiple incidents of sexual assault and violence:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/10/26/cbc_fires_jian_ghomeshi_over_sex_allegations.html

Interesting :(. The allegations are horrible, and they would be very hard to prove given that he mentioned BDSM. What a cunning monster (if true, of course).

The headline burns me, though:
'CBC fires Jian Ghomeshi over sex allegations'

Sexual assault shouldn't be called sex.That is so aggravating.And if the women allege 'sex', it's not a crime, obviously.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised and saddened by this. The show "Q" is carried on our local public radio station and I listened to it occasionally. Jian seemed smart and well composed.

And here's the tip of the iceberg, the first volley from the Toronto Star's investigation into multiple incidents of sexual assault and violence:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/10/26/cbc_fires_jian_ghomeshi_over_sex_allegations.html

"None of the women filed police complaints and none agreed to go on the record. The reasons given for not coming forward publicly include the fear that they would be sued or would be the object of Internet retaliation."​

The internet has been useful in exposing morally and ethically wrong acts and hypocricies, as well as criminal activities, but now it's frequently being used to hush witnesses and victims. Not just in this case but in so many others too. How can justice ever be achieved if intimidation is used broadly?

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been following this all morning and it's really making me sad.

I knew Jian back in the Moxy days and partied with him a few times. He was a super nice guy and never did anything I'd consider inappropriate. I've even got a picture of us together with our arms around each other. No ass grabbing there!

That said, I'm not taking sides. I'm going to wait it out and see what happens. I don't feel there is enough evidence on either side to make an honest and unbiased judgment.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
I was about to post that same article - he just gets creepier and creepier.

In another article yesterday, a law professor speculated that he initiated the lawsuit not because he has the remotest chance of winning it, but because he could say whatever he wished without fear of defamation himself since it (the claim/facebook post) was essentially a legal document.

http://www.theprovince.com/jobs/real+reasons+Jian+Ghomeshi+suing/10334969/story.html

Last edited:

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Dude has always creeped me out. He has sly eyes. Now I understand why.

Miguelito

Filled with optimism. And scotch.
Registered
Reaction score
I was about to post that same article - he just gets creepier and creepier.

In another article yesterday, a law professor speculated that he initiated the lawsuit not because he has the remotest chance of winning it, but because he could say whatever he wished without fear of defamation himself since it (the claim/facebook post) was essentially a legal document.

http://www.theprovince.com/jobs/real+reasons+Jian+Ghomeshi+suing/10334969/story.html

This guy absolutely reeks like a predator.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I knew about Jian. Everyone knew about Jian, at least anyone involved in the Toronto music scene.

Well, at least there were rumors, and I knew he was off. That he pushed boundaries with women. I didn't know he was like this. Not this bad, just ... way, way off. He's one rich bastard of a missing stair. Goddamnit. Goddamnit.

Last edited:

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Not to mention that BigEarsTeddy Twitter bit that probably primed him to jump off the metaphorical cliff.

He has now lost the following in more or less serial order:
- his job
- his agent
- his reputation, or such as it was with those who hadn't clued in yet
- his PR firm
- his crisis management firm
- the support of several friends and acquaintances, including his upcoming place on stage next to Amanda Fucking Palmer
- his 3 other upcoming speaking engagements
- his publisher, Penguin (option on next book)

And he is set to lose his ability to claim damages against the CBC. Not because of the civil suit, which was a farce, but because the union which he should have been working through to begin with may well drop him because, oh yeah, he fucked with other employees in the union, so there is a clear conflict of interest. Oh, well.

http://business.financialpost.com/2...ip-he-had-to-play-in-his-defence-lawyer-says/

Maybe he could bring it before the human rights commission as unfair labor practices. That would be a hot riot.

So if this grunting teddy-bear-filming sadistic rapist is "pushed" to attempt suicide, I am going to very surprised if some jackasses don't cry out that it was trial in the media that did him in.

Nope. Nope. What will have done him in is that he pissed in every bowl of cornflakes put on his table. Every. Single. One. Not to mention being a serial rapist and violent assaulter of god knows how many, whether they were strangers or the very people that got him his sweet, sweet gig at the top.

Last edited:

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to tell, given the context, since I gather the guy whose eyes pop out for a moment was her newly shelved boyfriend and she's basically about to exchange phone numbers right in front of him ...

That seems to be a dynamic that went on for years though - JG boasted about his connections to fame to pull women, taking advantage of the tendency of young women trying to break into the business being much more willing to give their phone number to someone they've known for five seconds.

The problem with fame is that many people think they 'know' the people they see frequently on TV, in magazines, etc. so there's that trust that there wouldn't be with just any random stranger. By the looks of it, he took full advantage of that.

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to tell, given the context, since I gather the guy whose eyes pop out for a moment was her newly shelved boyfriend and she's basically about to exchange phone numbers right in front of him ...

That guy is Patrick Chan, a fellow figure skater but, as far as I know, he's never dated Tessa Virtue. He looked genuinely creeped out by JG, or at least at how fast the guy was working.

I'm worried about this "hang out" session now!