Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are right

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The so-called "problem of evil" suggests that no being with the necessary characterics to be God was there. That is, a being who is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent.

Of course, there are plenty of versions of gods who aren't omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, or omnibenevolent.

I don't think even the Abrahamic god is ever claimed to be omnibenevolent. Is there such a passage?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
What she said. If science had a monopoly on truth, then what would be the point of art?

That's more of an equivocation than a riposte, not to mention a strawman.

Who said that science has a "monopoly on truth"? And, what does that even mean? Truth, by definition, is that which best comports with fact/reality. Science is a process of epistemological discovery of facts relating to reality (arguments for/against Hawking's "Model-Dependent Realism," notwithstanding). Reifying it as being something more than that unnecessarily obfuscates coherent discussion and comparisons.

So, perhaps it could be said that science, while not having some vague "monopoly on truth," at least currently provides the best, most objective way of investigating truth claims, especially those involving the natural universe.

Also, art has many "points" or goals; such as conveying beauty, emotion, awe, ideologies, etc. They are as numerous and diverse as the number of artists who create it. Your statement implies that the only point of art is "truth" (again, an ambiguous statement), which wrongly excludes many other - and, I would argue, the majority of - reasons for its creation.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Science and religion, especially Catholicism, have always had an "interesting" relationship. There's the Galileo thing, which it only took the Church 350 years to change its mind about:
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/10/31/world/after-350-years-vatican-says-galileo-was-right-it-moves.html

Stephen Hawking wrote about meeting the Pope (or perhaps it was several of them - ISTR at least one meeting since this book) in his popular book "A Brief History of Time."

Another prominent scientist, Stephen Jay Gould, has also had meetings with the Pope, and wrote a famous essay separating (or attempting to separate) science and religion, named "Nonoverlapping Magisteria:"
http://web.archive.org/web/20140421173708/http://www.stephenjaygould.org/library/gould_noma.html
The so-called "problem of evil" suggests that no being with the necessary characterics to be God was there. That is, a being who is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, and omnibenevolent.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil

http://www.iep.utm.edu/evil-log/
While it's true there are things in religion regarded as impossible by many people, just a couple days ago I heard a woman say "with God all things are possible" (I recall this claim as not being original with her - I've heard it many times before). There was no hedging, so I presume she meant things that have been shown to be impossible are also possible, thus perhaps the fault is with logic and human reasoning.
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/28/health/us-ebola/
On the other hand, why should we trust HER claim (and others who said that) over those of many philosophers, scientists and mathematicians?
It's kind of like...reading any other book. You get to interpret it for yourself.
And of course interpreting-it-yourself is from the Protestant Reformation, and also thans to an invention by Gutenberg that gives many people inexpensive access to the Bible. Before that, or even now if you're still Catholic, there are priests to interpret things for you. I suppose that's part of the job of whoever's Pope, and that's what the current one is doing with the evolution and big bang thing here.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of course, there are plenty of versions of gods who aren't omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, or omnibenevolent.

I don't think even the Abrahamic god is ever claimed to be omnibenevolent. Is there such a passage?

Certainly it is a characteristic of God in Christian theology, if not the Abrahamic tradition as a whole.

Here's a quick wiki cite, I'll find another.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attributes_of_God_in_Christianity

http://www.theopedia.com/List_of_God's_known_attributes

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnibenevolence

Belief in a God's omnibenevolence is an essential foundation in traditional Christianity; this can be seen in Scriptures such as Psalms 18:30: "As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the Lord is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him," and Ps.19:7: "The law of the Lord is good, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple." This understanding is evident in the following statement by the First Vatican Council[original research?]:

The Holy, Catholic, Apostolic and Roman Church believes and acknowledges that there is one true and living God, Creator and Lord of Heaven and earth, almighty, eternal, immeasurable, incomprehensible, infinite in will, understanding and every perfection. Since He is one, singular, completely simple and unchangeable spiritual substance, He must be declared to be in reality and in essence, distinct from the world, supremely happy in Himself and from Himself, and inexpressibly loftier than anything besides Himself which either exists or can be imagined.

I am sure I can find additional cites, but you get the point. St. Thomas Acquinas, among many other Catholic theologians wrestled with the problem of evil because of the inherent conflict of a being both omnibenevolent and omnipotent.

Oh, and as to Wikipedia as a general reference, see
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279226&highlight=wiki

Last edited:

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have time to go into religious theory right now, but I believe the question of evil isn't addressed by the question of what God is or is not, but is rather the result of the free will of mortals.

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, at its core, the theological issue known as "The problem of evil" (mentioned in the cites of my last post) is a function of the attributes of God.

See Problem of Evil (a specific problem kicked about by theologians for centuries)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_evil

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I don't have time to go into religious theory right now, but I believe the question of evil isn't addressed by the question of what God is or is not, but is rather the result of the free will of mortals.
That's not actually addressing the "Problem of Evil" as defined theologically.

Also, the simultaneous beliefs that currently exist in major Christian doctrine that 1) God gives all humans "free will" yet 2) "everything happens according to His Divine Plan[SUP]TM[/SUP]" are logically incompatible.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Is it Christian doctrine that all Christian doctrine is logically compatible? I know a lot of people assume it all should be.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Certainly it is a characteristic of God in Christian theology, if not the Abrahamic tradition as a whole.

Here's a quick wiki cite, I'll find another.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attributes_of_God_in_Christianity

http://www.theopedia.com/List_of_God's_known_attributes

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnibenevolence
Omnibenevolence doesn't seem to be quite what I thought it was. It means all good (as opposed to having any evil), whereas I was thinking all caring or all loving (as opposed to either hate or indifference). But the attributes link does say God is Love.

There's a verse the Quakers and Shakers get their names from that goes something like (I don't find an exact verse) "[you should] tremble and quake in the presence of the Lord." I've seen the text "the fear of the lord is the beginning of wisdom" and indeed that exact text shows up twice in Proverbs and once in Psalms.

It seems that if God were loving (or good), one wouldn't have anything to fear from Him. How is this reconciled, or is it not?

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Also, the simultaneous beliefs that currently exist in major Christian doctrine that 1) God gives all humans "free will" yet 2) "everything happens according to His Divine Plan[SUP]TM[/SUP]" are logically incompatible.

I wasn't aware those beliefs were central to major Christian doctrine. Thanks for the enlightenment.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are right
I don't want to get into the theological debate, but can someone PM me when he explains the total hideousness of the naked mole rat? Either God or evolution, I really don't care. I just want an apology on behalf of naked mole rats. Because really - not cool. Not even fair.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I don't want to get into the theological debate, but can someone PM me when he explains the total hideousness of the naked mole rat? Either God or evolution, I really don't care. I just want an apology on behalf of naked mole rats. Because really - not cool. Not even fair.

Also, Naked Mole Rats: God has a sense of humor and nekkidness is just plain funny for boys age 8 to14. Also, this is an explanation for the presence of brussels sprouts, which has nothing to do with nudity, but they are Brussells sprouts! Who can trump that!????

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I wasn't aware those beliefs were central to major Christian doctrine. Thanks for the enlightenment.

I also wasn't aware that I said they were "central" to the doctrine. Thanks for the fallacious interpolation.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Is it Christian doctrine that all Christian doctrine is logically compatible? I know a lot of people assume it all should be.
If one believes the Bible is the inerrant Word of God and believes His teachings/commandments to be perfect, then yes. And that's what theological apologists (e.g. Plantinga, William Lane Craig, St. Anslem, Aquinas, Tertullian, etc.) have spent centuries trying to prove. Granted, they dance with modal logic which can be logically compatible with anything because, you know, "possibilities."

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also wasn't aware that I said they were "central" to the doctrine. Thanks for the fallacious interpolation.

Do you know who's really, really good at the bible? Marilynne Robinson. And she does Calvinism and everything.

Drooling Blunder

Registered
Reaction score
Also, Naked Mole Rats: God has a sense of humor and nekkidness is just plain funny for boys age 8 to14. Also, this is an explanation for the presence of brussels sprouts, which has nothing to do with nudity, but they are Brussells sprouts! Who can trump that!????
Is Neked Mole Rats that be trumping funny and the sprouts from Brussells of which you speaking.

Is nice you be appreciating the neked Mole Rat.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Brussels Sprouts (if I'm right) has nothing to do with Brussels. Which may or may not undermine your point.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
mccardey, are you simply going to ignore the naked mole rat in the room?

That will really hurt Drooly's feelings.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
mccardey, are you simply going to ignore the naked mole rat in the room?

That will really hurt Drooly's feelings.

I repped him. At the moment I'm struggling with whether omnibenevolent should be a word. Because frankly if I were God, there'd be bugger all benevolence and a whole lot more "Just - play nicely or go to your rooms."

Really, there would. And people would share, or there would be tears before bedtime, and I'll tell you that for nothing. :granny:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
If one believes the Bible is the inerrant Word of God and believes His teachings/commandments to be perfect, then yes. And that's what theological apologists like Plantinga, William Lane Craig, St. Anslem, Aquinas, Tertullian, etc. have spent centuries trying to prove. Granted, they dance with modal logic which can be logically compatible with anything because, you know, "possibilities."
I had to look that up:
Modal logic is a type of formal logic primarily developed in the 1960s that extends classical propositional and predicate logic to include operators expressing modality. Modals—words that express modalities—qualify a statement. For example, the statement "John is happy" might be qualified by saying that John is usually happy, in which case the term "usually" is functioning as a modal.
That's fascinating. Usually.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
To everything, there is a season
and a time for every purpose. . .
turn, turn, turn

Frankly, he's a grande papa to me, si!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If one believes the Bible is the inerrant Word of God and believes His teachings/commandments to be perfect, then yes. And that's what theological apologists like Plantinga, William Lane Craig, St. Anslem, Aquinas, Tertullian, etc. have spent centuries trying to prove. Granted, they dance with modal logic which can be logically compatible with anything because, you know, "possibilities."

No, but they didn't spend centuries. They didn't live for "centuries" - so, they're just some people who tried to promote an idea of something. But what matters is the idea that's more generally held.