Airsoft rifles, Facebook pictures and the Homecoming Dance don't mix.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I'm from a place where the average household has as many or more guns in it than people. It's not unusual to see a kid posing with a shotgun, rifle, and possibly a dead animal, in their senior picture.
Massachusetts really isn't one of those places those - the general attitude towards guns is the same as it is towards religious beliefs: I don't care if you have them, but it doesn't mean I want to hear or see about it either.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Massachusetts really isn't one of those places those - the general attitude towards guns is the same as it is towards religious beliefs: I don't care if you have them, but it doesn't mean I want to hear or see about it either.

And that has what to do with what I said? :Shrug:
I'm from a place where the average household has as many or more guns in it than people. It's not unusual to see a kid posing with a shotgun, rifle, and possibly a dead animal, in their senior picture.

But if the High School Principal here had seen that FB post? He would have freaked. If he could get the kids to even admit to thinking about taking the airsoft guns to school to scare people, he would suspend them on the spot.

As in, even us stupid hicks in the sticks worry about this kind of thing. It's a rather universal concern, believe it or not.

I was making a comparison. Even though our two areas might have polar opposite political climates, the kid's post still would have gotten the same response.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Easy there. There was no value judgment implied (and certainly nothing about "stupid hicks in the sticks" - there are more cows than people where I live.).

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Easy there. There was no value judgment implied (and certainly nothing about "stupid hicks in the sticks" - there are more cows than people where I live.).

Where I live involves mandatory sheep jokes. :tongue

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Has anyone seen the original photo? I'm wondering if these were part of a Facebook album called "Homecoming" or if they were actually "captioned." Or did the students put something like "Getting ready to head out to the Homecoming dance." in teh description.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the original photo? I'm wondering if these were part of a Facebook album called "Homecoming" or if they were actually "captioned." Or did the students put something like "Getting ready to head out to the Homecoming dance." in teh description.

Why would you wonder that, since that isn't what the article says, and what difference does it make?

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Why would you wonder that, since that isn't what the article says, and what difference does it make?

Context, like I said before. If it's one single pic titled that, then they took the pic and decided to title it that. But if they were doing a bunch of pics and someone said, 'hey u two both like that airsoft thing, lets get a picture with those things, and then we can get a picture with the dog, and your mom and your aunt mildreds ashes from the mantel' and they uploaded them to FB all under the title of Homecoming. If the former, then if I were looking at the picture with nothing else to go by, I would wonder. If the latter, I'd probably guess what happened because of the context.

Emilander

Banned
Reaction score
Personally, I don't think the context matters, i.e., one picture vs. a group of pictures, since nothing happened. This seems to another example of zero tolerance equating to zero common sense. These kids are being punished for a photo, admittedly a foolish one (but they're kids so what do you expect), that supposedly was a threat to an event that had already occurred when the picture was discovered. It would be like suspending a kindergartner for taking a picture of his chicken nugget/poptart/finger guns and bringing it in for show-and-tell.

I understand that these things need to be taken seriously, but sometimes people need to take a step back and take a breath before going apeshit over something that has proven to be harmless.

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I personally find this to be a great example of a hammer looking for nails, which is essentially what zero tolerance does. Anything and everything becomes the worst possible scenario.

What I'd rather see than this sort of response is for educators and everyone else actually start looking for the root cause of the incidents that cause the actual worst case scenarios. What has changed so much to make these things happen as they do in our society today?

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
So if I came in here and said, "I wonder if the caption actually said, 'we're going to shoot everyone at Homecoming 2014'," that would not be weird to you at all?

Of course it's weird. But you're an author. Weird is part of the job description!

:D

dfwtinman

Cubic Zirconia in the rough
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So if I came in here and said, "I wonder if the caption actually said, 'we're going to shoot everyone at Homecoming 2014'," that would not be weird to you at all?

That is a very big change in the facts, imo; moving from, at worst, an implication to expressed intent.