Time between signing with an agent and going on submission

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Mandy. I'll give it a little more time...

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Not only the above, but many people will send a tweet from their phones who won't use them for e-mail. That may mean they'll tweet from a conference.

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Nice posts, Mandy, Jennifer.

Ah, the delicate intricacies which are hard to see from the outside.

Hmm. I feel a book coming on.

Opps. No. 'Twas just a touch of indigestion.

H

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
Still no word from the agent. I haven't heard anything in almost 2 months. Since around 3 weeks passed since sending an email, I sent a 2nd email on Monday... no reply. I mustered up the guts to call the office yesterday, but it went to voicemail (I didn't leave one so I can try again).

I'm completely confused and frustrated. I had several other offers of rep from agents who wanted to go on sub quickly. What would you do at this point?

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
I'm so sorry to hear about your frustration, brs18041. I know it well because I went through a similar situation last year. I ended up deciding to fire that agent, but then I discovered he'd left the agency weeks earlier.

It's one thing if your agent is holding back your manuscript for a particular reason, but it's another for them to not communicate with you about that. Even if it takes a few days or so for your agent to get back to you on things, it's part of their job to communicate with you.

Are you sure this a reputable agent and agency? I'd call again and leave a message stating specifically why you are calling. I think before you decide whether to walk away, you should try to find out if your manuscript has been pitched anywhere, and if so, exactly to whom. You'll need to know that if you want to approach other agents with it. (The best scenario if you want to part ways would be if your agent hasn't subbed it anywhere.)

And you might want to read your contract again to be sure of all exit terms, including language around the agent's rights to commission on your manuscript and any waiting period that might be required before you can contact other agents.

But hopefully, there's still a good reason why your agent hasn't gotten back to you, and things will work out with them.

Good luck!

Last edited:

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure this a reputable agent and agency?

Yes, definitely. And I know this agent is still at the agency b/c of social media activity. I doubt the agent's submitted my MS anywhere, we were going to review the plan before that happened.

Thanks for your reply and kind words, and I'm sorry you've been through this before. Have you signed with a new agent since then?

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Have you signed with a new agent since then?

Yes, and she's amazingly responsive and enthusiastic. It's like night and day.

She was one of the agents who had my full when I got the offer from the other agent. Although she passed then, I just had a feeling about her, so I reapproached her, and she was happy I did.

So take heart. It's great that you had some other offers on the table. But honestly, you're better off with a manuscript in-hand and no agent than with an agent who's holding your manuscript in limbo. Still and all, you shouldn't leave an agent without giving every opportunity possible to fix the situation.

Last edited: