Pitching at Conferences

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that some conferences are exploitative, and that writers should question their value: but I also think that writers should question the value of repeatedly attending writerly events when they aren't getting published. It might be that they'd be better off spending their money on the more detailed, specific help that an editorial agency might provide; or it could be that they're just not good enough to get published, and they should consider taking a new route through their lives.
All true.

But I'd also point out that conferences are not just about getting published. They are also social outlets enabling people in a solitary profession to talk with others of like mind. I think this can be of enormous benefit even for people who are never published.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Roger, you're right, of course.

rac

Registered
Reaction score
All true.

But I'd also point out that conferences are not just about getting published. They are also social outlets enabling people in a solitary profession to talk with others of like mind. I think this can be of enormous benefit even for people who are never published.

I agree. Lasting friendships can be formed.

Networking is also important for writers who teach at conferences, which is one of the reasons they attend.

rac

Registered
Reaction score
That rather depends on the conference; look at choosing to attend a conference much the same way you'd look at choosing to attend a college.

What is the conference program? Are the editors and agents and authors whose names you know and respect?

Is the conference promising things that are completely unrealistic?

Is the conference presenter/runner someone whose primary source of income appears to be running conferences (that's a very very bad sign)?

You'll find respected writing organizations often run really good, and helpful conferences: RWA and SCEWBI in particular come to mind.

You'll often find a writing track at genre conferences; look at the people presenting.

I wouldn't attend a conference with the primary goal of pitching; that's daft.

You've made some great points. Anyone who attends a writers' conference has to be a careful shopper. Also, it helps to go with realistic expectations

It's important to do some research on the teaching staff, if possible. Being a famous writer doesn't necessarily make that person a good teacher. There are skilled teachers at conferences; the challenge is to find out who they are and where they are teaching. Also, are they successful in your genre?

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. I’d like to add to the thread if I may.

I help run PitchFest (formerly called AgentFest) for the ThrillerFest Conference each year. You have three minutes at our conference. It's like speed dating. Some of the agents take less than the three minutes while I've seen some agents keep people for more than ten minutes. Since I’ve been involved the last four years, we have had no less than 50 agents there, from the new agent hungry to build their client list to agents that represent the biggest names in the industry.

The main thing that people have already said is true. Be professional, be yourself, relax, do your homework, and be ready. Pitch one novel. And absolutely do not pitch the same novel year after year.

We do not tell any of the agents how to run their table. They can say yes or no. And they do say no, especially when the attendee doesn't do their homework and pitches a cookbook at a Thriller conference to an agent that doesn't rep cookbooks. We do our best to list what the agent is currently seeking on the website, and we place a sign next to the agent that spells out what they want.

We have had many success stories, including the current Director of PitchFest and just this week if anyone happened to watch the new series Intelligence, the show is based off a novel that just came out this week from John Dixon. He found his agent two years ago at PitchFest.

Finally, as some have said, many people that attend conferences go there to mingle and network. You never know whom you might meet and build a relationship with.

Last edited:

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
So . . . an auctioneer would fare well at your conference?

caw

Pretty close...lol

Seriously though, if someone were to come up to you and say you have one minute to tell me what your current novel is about, you throw out a few sentences that sums it up. That's what PitchFest or any pitch conference that is similar is all about. You have 3 1/2 hours to go to as many agents as you can. I know many that see 18-20 agents. Some see 12-15. A few, for whatever reason that I can't fathom, will go and see 4 or 5.

You don't need more than 3 minutes anyway. Either you have a concept that the agent or editor would like to see or you don't. I've been to conferences where you had 10 or 15 minutes and you had to pay for each person you wanted to see. Because this particular conference is in NYC, those same agents and editors are here and all part of the same cost.

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
You've made some great points. Anyone who attends a writers' conference has to be a careful shopper. Also, it helps to go with realistic expectations

It's important to do some research on the teaching staff, if possible. Being a famous writer doesn't necessarily make that person a good teacher. There are skilled teachers at conferences; the challenge is to find out who they are and where they are teaching. Also, are they successful in your genre?

I very much agree with this.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
conferences are not just about getting published. They are also social outlets enabling people in a solitary profession to talk with others of like mind. I think this can be of enormous benefit even for people who are never published.

Kind of like signing up for a Tony Robbins enthusiasm seminar? Or getting involved with AmWay? Or maybe Scientology?

caw

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
After one experience with a speed pitch session with agents, I'd say that these specific events are one avenue that might be a good way to access agents IF you are good at those kinds of things.

If you thrive in high-stress environments and come off well in person, are able to pitch comfortably face to face, etc, then I think agent pitch sessions (obviously with reputable agents!!) can be a great way to make a positive impression.

If those things aren't true about you (you get nervous in loud, crowded places, you don't feel comfortable selling yourself face to face, etc) then I'd say stay away. There are plenty of other ways to get your book in front of an agent including good old fashioned querying or writing contests.

I haven't been able to attend a full conference yet, but if I do I will go only with the hope of meeting some other writers and networking a little bit, maybe even making new friends. I would probably sign up for pitch sessions, but I would mostly expect it to be good practice pitching (with the slight chance that I might meet my "one-true soulmate agent" who loves my concept).

Think its probably all about knowing your own strengths and managing expectations.

imjustj

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to add that not all conferences are designed "to make money." I am part of a conference put on by a local group and our goal is to put on a good conference without losing money. Some years, the stars align and we come out a little bit ahead. That just means we can fight off the inevitable price increase by another year.

Just as with anything else, do your research. There are plenty of good conferences, with great agents and even reasonably priced -- it doesn't mean they are all a good fit for every writer.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to envision Emily Dickinson or Franz Kafka or Harper Lee or J.D. Salinger or Thomas Pynchon "pitching" at a writer's conference.

My brain is telling me with tsunamis of pain that I shouldn't think about such things.

caw

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
If it doesn't work for you blacbird, don't.

It does work for some, apparently.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I have a question about business cards at conferences and what info to include. One article suggested that you put your manuscript title, genre, and word count on your business card. What do y'all think of that? I suppose it's a good idea for the agents I'll be pitching, but if I use those cards to exchange contact info with anyone else, I can't help but think it'll look a little odd. And I figure if those agents should be interested, they'll probably tell me to email them anyway. So I'm leaning toward going with name, email, website, and maybe Twitter.

Anyway, opinions are appreciated. :D

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
I have a question about business cards at conferences and what info to include. One article suggested that you put your manuscript title, genre, and word count on your business card. What do y'all think of that? I suppose it's a good idea for the agents I'll be pitching, but if I use those cards to exchange contact info with anyone else, I can't help but think it'll look a little odd. And I figure if those agents should be interested, they'll probably tell me to email them anyway. So I'm leaning toward going with name, email, website, and maybe Twitter.

Anyway, opinions are appreciated. :D

The agents at the conference WILL NOT want your card, 99 times out of 100. I know that sounds harsh, but the point is-- if we want your material, we give YOU our cards, and you submit the material via email later, with a nice signature block of your website and twitter, etc.

I have no idea why so many authors come equipped with cards to thrust at agents, but they do. I've given worskhops and had writers walk up to me after and literally just say, "I just wanted to give you this." They toss a card at me and leave.

Like, am i supposed to email them after and be like, "I have your card, so... Hey."? I'm not sure. But I end up with a little stack of cards to throw away after every conference. I feel bad, and it seems like such a waste, but the times I politely decline, the authors look so stricken, like I'm rejecting them!

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Oh whew, I'm glad I asked. I'd bet the reason authors do that is because so many articles tell us to. But I've also seen lots of agent advice that they don't want to be handed anything. My gut told me not to, but I'd hate to not have cards if it were truly expected.

Thank you, Mandy! That's one less thing I have to worry about getting done in advance. Now I can focus on my short pitch (which I promise to never deliver outside of an actual pitch session, especially not in the restrooms).

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I pitched at the last conference I went to, and got cards from everybody who requested material. They're great for taking notes on the extra information that isn't included; two editors had me send the manuscript to additional people, so I wrote that information on the back of the cards. And I did have some business cards with me in case anybody asked for them, which they did.

JJ Litke

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Thanks, BenPanced. I have some business card stock for my home printer, so I might just print a couple of sheets for exchanging basic contact info. I'm hoping to meet some other local writers, bonus if they also write spec.

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to envision Emily Dickinson or Franz Kafka or Harper Lee or J.D. Salinger or Thomas Pynchon "pitching" at a writer's conference.

My brain is telling me with tsunamis of pain that I shouldn't think about such things.

caw

Ditto. I think I'll stick to using my time to improve my work and hangout at AW. Plus, it's good to know that you don't need to go to these things as I'm a pretty private person.