agent quest

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
So I got my first book accepted for publication without an agent. It has all gone fine, but I would like an agent for my next one. Looking at contracts is stressful, and having an agent would open me up to many more publishing houses.

Here's the thing - around 6 months after my first book was accepted for publication, I sent a sequel of sorts to my publisher. They liked it as much as the first, but said they didn't want to accept it before the first book had proven itself. Which I understand. The release of my first book is still a couple of months away, so it'll probably be a while until a decision is made regarding the second.

My question is this - while I am querying this new, third novel, do I mention the fact that this second manuscript is under consideration? Although they are about different subject matter the second and third books are the same genre, so there shouldn't be problems re. an agent being appropriate for one book and not the other.

The agent game seems to be very tough, so could mentioning this give me a leg up? Or, as I'm guessing most of you will suggest, should I leave off mentioning it (nothing is certain with the second book after all) and just query the third?

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
The agent game is tough to predict. Every writer's experience is different. For instance, I had four published books under my belt, with a fifth one about to be published, before I got an agent. Some writers get agents before their first book is even published.

If you have a third manuscript completed, and there is no clause in your contract that says your publisher has first refusal rights, I would go ahead and query for it, and mention every book you have published or have under consideration. The more you can put in your bio, the better, in my opinion. Agents like to see that other publishers are interested. You may not have any sales yet, but if your writing is good and the agent thinks he or she can sell it, that doesn't mean squat. Hope that helps!

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
I would query the third, and mention the first in the letter: that XXX book will be published by YYY publisher of such and such date. I wouldn't mention the second one at all in the letter, but if you get to the phone call I would.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
If your current publisher is one that the agent might have sent to anyway, why not send queries that say you're seeking representation for the second one? Agents understand being in the situation you're in. You signed one deal but really want to get guidance on a career path. That's what agents are FOR. Give them the option in the letter of either reviewing the book currently under contract or the second one. An agent might want to see the style of writing you have in the accepted one first, before looking at a subsequent one that might need a little more work. :)

thelittleprince

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone - a few different options to consider! I might query my third one, and in the letter mention my published novel and my second novel that is currently 'with the publisher,' or something like that. I guess if they're really interested, and they like the first, they might ask to see samples of the other two as well.

As you said Cathy, I hope agents are mostly about guiding and shaping careers. But it sometimes seems they focus on the one book rather than a writer's long-term prospects?

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
They sometimes focus on one book to see if you have what it takes for long-term prospects.

Not every author has the ability to write on proposal and can turn in book after book at a speed to meet a publisher's schedule. Some authors write quickly, others more slowly. Some handle deep edits well, some have a difficult time. The first book can be the equivalent of a twelve month probation period on a new job.