How long before you consider queries rejected?

ReflectedGray

Registered
Reaction score
I’m still in the very early stages of querying. I sent out around 10 letters, and got a few positive responses and one thanks but no thanks. I read on their websites that many agents do not have time to respond to letters they aren’t interested in, which frankly I really understand.

The only thing is, I’ve decided to be pretty conservative with my first round of letters because I feel that my query is frankly not as strong as my manuscript. I’ve worked on it a lot, but it’s just something I kind of struggled with. I want to get an idea of what the general response rate is before sending it out again. I don’t think it’s a bad letter, but it’s also not a fabulous letter. I revised it so much that it actually started to get worse, so I figured it was time to move on.

How long do you wait before considering a letter a de-facto no? The skeptic in me sort of doubts that I’ll get any kind of positive response after a month, but maybe that’s naive. I see a lot of “4-6 weeks” or “6-8” week timeframes, but does anyone actually receive a request for more after 8 weeks?

Last edited:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I'm assuming by "positive responses" you mean requests for partials/fulls. If you got a few requests out of 10, statistically you're doing well, and you can assume for now your query is doing its job.

It does occasionally happen that a request for material will come after 4, 6, or 8 weeks, so I wouldn't say it never happens, but it is less common. Much depends on each individual agent, how many queries they receive, how backed up they are, if an intern reads first, etc.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I received a full request after a year once.

I've also received several after a few months. It just depends on how behind the agent is. See if they put out a timeframe, check BR&BC and QueryTracker to see if anyone's got a timeline on there, and keep in mind that that information really means nothing because stuff happens that can make an agent go faster or slower, pick your query out early or lose it for a year.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Most of my requests were in the 4-8 week range. At least one was 4 months out. And one (from the agent I signed with) came within four minutes.

I was working on the general assumption that after 3 months, a query was likely dead. (Which is how I tracked when to query another agent at a particular agency if I hadn't gotten a response.) It doesn't mean you might not still get requests after that period, but it's a reasonable amount of time to wait (especially if you are querying more than one agent in sequence at an agency that allows that).

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
I also assume closed/no reply after 3 months unless otherwise specified by the agent's web page. Querytracker has a great data tracker that you can look at which will give you a good sense of how long a specific agent usually takes.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
I went with three months as well. One thing you'll find is, as time goes on, you'll get better about 'fire and forget', i.e., not obsessing over outstanding queries. Send it, and move on to the next one.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, the first few will be the ones you stress over the time it takes because you're worrying about the response to your query. I keep track of my queries, partials, fulls, R&Rs, and rejections in a spreadsheet, but after that initial "is my query any good?" period, I pretty much send out the queries and let them go until I get a response. The only thing I worry about after that is if I haven't heard anything from an agent who claims to answer everything, but I've moved on to a new novel several months later.

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
I keep track of my queries, partials, fulls, R&Rs, and rejections in a spreadsheet, but after that initial "is my query any good?" period, I pretty much send out the queries and let them go until I get a response.

This is where I am right now. I know my query works, so it's just a matter of waiting, sending out some more, waiting, etc.

For my own sanity, however, I've been writing them off after just 2 weeks for "no response means no" agencies--unless something on the agent's blog or twitter or something indicates that it truly will take longer than that. If I assume it's a no after 2 weeks I can just move on and not think about it.

I know 2 weeks is probably way too soon to write them off, but the thing is, I've gotten 8 requests so far, and all but one have come within a few days. That said, I'm only 3.5 weeks into querying, so who knows what will happen with others still sitting out there.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you've received no positive responses, I'd rework the query.

I once closed a no-show at 4 months and sent to someone else at that agency. Then got a form rejection from the first agent 6 weeks later.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Seconding QueryTracker's data mine. I believe you have to register (and pay) to get access to it, but it shows the submission/response times for everyone using QT for a specific agent as well as what the genre is. Granted, this is only from responses people have entered themselves, but it's a pretty decent pool of info to draw semi-conclusions from.

If an agent/agency gives a date, then I went by that. If not, I looked at where they were in their queue re: QT. Outside of that, I'd echo the two to three month norm.

kydelaney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kydelaney.com
I went with three months as well. One thing you'll find is, as time goes on, you'll get better about 'fire and forget', i.e., not obsessing over outstanding queries. Send it, and move on to the next one.

This is really helpful as I've been agonizing over responses and spending WAY too much time checking email. Thanks!

AshleyEpidemic

Did you see my bag?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soipondered.wordpress.com
I'm similar to Aus10Phile. When I was querying last year, I would write off a query as a no after 3 weeks. If I get a response after that then great, but I'm not holding my breath.