Would it be possible for a body to disappear?

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Well, sure. You can make anything you want happen for your story. But you would need to provide us with a few more details if you're looking for suggestions on how it could realistically happen. Where / when your story is based, how the murder happens, who did it, who found the body, etc.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Where's it disappearing from? The mortuary? En route to the mortuary? What do you mean by later revealed?

As onesecondglance says, we need more details.

Maxx B

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by disappear. Do you mean magically go poof? Made invisible? Carried away by an unknown party? Decompose?

Is your novel based in the real world or a fantasy world? For a real world you have three options, carried off by someone, dragged off by animals or decomposed (I'm counting all kinds of destruction, bugs, acid, explosion etc...).

For fantasy your options are pretty much open. Magic, ghosts, aliens, zombies...

So to answer your question, in a real world scenario, bodies can be removed, in a fantasy world, then yes a body could disappear.

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
Oh bodies can definitely "disappear" in the real world. Wood chipper, pig farm, melted down, accidentally cremated, chopped up and packaged in medical waste boxes (each hold 50 pounds and they never get opened after they're sealed). We used to joke at the lab I worked at how many boxes to get ready when we were irritated with people. :)

But I agree with the others, depending on what point the body "disappears" will determine who and what you need to make it realistic.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Does it have to be explained in the story? If the Hero catches the Opponent through other means, then this event doesn't have to be explained at all. In fact, being able to make murder evidence disappear as if by magic adds to the bad-assness of the Opponent.

-cb

Last edited:

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
We had this discussion at work not too long ago. My suggestion was a remote area with ravines and BIG HUNGRY wild animals. Failing that, there's a wild boar farm about twenty minutes from where I live...

:evil

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Would it be possible for a body to disappear?
No.

The one thing you cannot ever have in any genre of fiction at all, is a body disappearing. Not even by magic.

People have tried to write stories with bodies that disappear and their computers always melt. In the old days, typewriters would actually explode.