Ask Kathleen Ortiz! Ask the Agent Summer Spree!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I think I've answered all the questions on here.

It's been a great run, but alas - summer's over! I'm going to ask MacAllister to keep the forum open through October 6 so people can get any last-minute questions in here; otherwise, I'll be signing out.

Maybe MA will invite me back next summer for another spree of questions :)

It's been fun! In the meantime, keep my web site handy so you can always see what I'm looking to sign, where I'll be, and what my query/partials/full status is like!

~KO

www.KathleenOrtiz.com

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
Kathleen,

Thank you for answering our questions! This has been a great thread, so thank you for giving us a few more days.

My question is about querying an agent after self publishing. Is it the kiss of death, having self published your first novel? What if it was very professionally produced? What level of sales of a self published novel would convince you the author is worth looking at?

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
How important is fine writing to an agent and publisher? Does plain, vanilla writing (provided agents/editors like the story) appeal to more agents/editors than fine writing done fairly (not necessarily spectacularly) well?

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for the time you spent answering questions. Looks like I might get one in just under the wire.

If you have a client who's book you just can't sell, do you ever suggest they take it themselves to a smaller market? Like maybe an E/POD publisher? Or do you just tell them to write something else. Also, I was wondering under what circumstances you/any agent would part ways with a client? would an agent cut the relationship if the author sent in their latest manuscript and it was just no good?

12yroldwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I have a last-minute question now!

Would something like misnumbered chapters cause you to reject requested pages?

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I wouldn't say it's the 'kiss of death,' but it can definitely turn agents away from you.

See when editors acquire books, they like to know whether or not you're a debut author. If you've been previously published (whether self or not), they look up the sales figures before making a decision. If they see a low number, then this may sway their decision (and the ed board's) against acquiring your book.

Also, with self-publishing, it's tough to show sales unless they're through a company that will give you royalty reports. Ergo, if you sell 1,000 copies from the trunk of your car, you really have no proof of sales to show an agent or publisher.

If you were to go the self-publishing route, I'd say a 'nice' figure would be at least 5,000 legit sales (i.e. have an official royalty report to show) but I've read on several blogs that editors will only consider it a 'nice' figure if it's at least 10,000 legit sales.

Hope that helps!

Kathleen

Kathleen,

Thank you for answering our questions! This has been a great thread, so thank you for giving us a few more days.

My question is about querying an agent after self publishing. Is it the kiss of death, having self published your first novel? What if it was very professionally produced? What level of sales of a self published novel would convince you the author is worth looking at?

Last edited:

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not sure I understand your question...the way I read it is, "Does good writing matter?" in which case my answer is "Hell Yes."

It's all about voice, plot and whether or not you can shape and mold the written word in a coherent, entertaining and beautiful manner.

Sorry it's a short answer, but again - not sure if I completely understood the question.

~K

How important is fine writing to an agent and publisher? Does plain, vanilla writing (provided agents/editors like the story) appeal to more agents/editors than fine writing done fairly (not necessarily spectacularly) well?

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I personally would not send my clients to a POD/E pub. If I can't sell it, I'd tell them to work on something else (which they should be doing while they're on sub).

I've not run across a situation where I've had to part ways with a client (*waves at awesome clients*), but I know agents and authors part ways for various reasons. Maybe it's because they don't agree on the author's writing career path; perhaps they aren't happy with the personality of the other person; etc. I've heard many reasons. How, when and the repercussions of parting ways are completely dependent on what's in that initial agent-author agreement that was signed.

~KO

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for the time you spent answering questions. Looks like I might get one in just under the wire.

If you have a client who's book you just can't sell, do you ever suggest they take it themselves to a smaller market? Like maybe an E/POD publisher? Or do you just tell them to write something else. Also, I was wondering under what circumstances you/any agent would part ways with a client? would an agent cut the relationship if the author sent in their latest manuscript and it was just no good?

KOrtizzle

Ask the Agent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Nope. If the writing and plot are good and the voice grips me, I'd keep reading.

But this is a good reason why you should always proof your work before submitting. :)

~KO

Okay, I have a last-minute question now!

Would something like misnumbered chapters cause you to reject requested pages?

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
Not the answer I wanted to hear, but the one I expected...thank you all the same!

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not sure I understand your question...the way I read it is, "Does good writing matter?" in which case my answer is "Hell Yes."

It's all about voice, plot and whether or not you can shape and mold the written word in a coherent, entertaining and beautiful manner.

Sorry it's a short answer, but again - not sure if I completely understood the question.

~K

Nope, that answered my question perfectly. Thank you.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I just wanted to offer a huge, HUGE thank you to Kathleen, and let everyone know she's definitely invited back next summer. :)

Thanks so very much, Kathleen! We've really appreciated the time and effort you've put into answering questions here.

And thanks, AWers, for keeping this conversation so fun and interesting, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.