How many queries...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering, for those of you who have agents, about how many query letters did you end up sending before someone finally offered you representation?

I'm at 32 myself, with noting but a rejected full to show for it, (and 9 letters I'm still waiting to hear on) so I kind of wanted to see if there was hope for me yet.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm twice your age, and have even less to show for the querying effort than you have. Others here have scored on the first query they sent anywhere. Which is to say that there is no "average".

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What the bird said.

(It doesn't help, I know, but it's the right answer...)

Good luck!

PS: Although from what I've read here (which is all I've ever heard about querying) 32 is, well, A Good Start, rather than a place from which to despair.

Last edited:

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Only one actual query (most agents here prefer partials - I sent out four of those). But as has been said, there is no "average". There was however a poll recently, in which the highest counts were for either fewer than 10, or more than 50 (IIRC). It seems that either you strike it lucky early on, or you persevere - giving up after a couple of dozen rejections seems to be the surest way not to get an agent :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I had 65 rejections. Was it bad? It doesn't matter. I got a contract at the end. That's what matters.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
At 35 queries, I'm now at 12 Rs, 1 partial and 22 no responses (between one day and three weeks).

Hoping for some good news but may end up with 107 queries (my full list), mainly Rs/no response and zero offers. Then again, I may get lucky.

Like everyone says, don't give up.

djf881

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
If you are targeting appropriate agents, you want to be getting requests on at least 20% of queries. If you only get one request out of 30 queries, there's probably something wrong with your query or sample pages.

You should hold off on sending out more queries until you can identify the problem and fix it. When you run out of agents to submit to, the project is dead.

Purple Rose

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
If you only get one request out of 30 queries, there's probably something wrong with your query or sample pages.

You should hold off on sending out more queries until you can identify the problem and fix it

Thanks dj, and yup, I think there is something wrong with my query, and quite possibly my story. I'm going to let it rest for a while, in the hope that I'll get a partial request at least from a couple of the 22 who have not responded. If I get only Rs or hear nothing after two or three weeks, I might post my query on QLH.

Meanhwile, I approached an AWer for help today and am confident her input will make a difference.

Last edited:

Miriel

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
When you run out of agents to submit to, the project is dead.

At least in the fantasy genre, there are several major houses that accept unagented subs, like TOR and DAW. I agree with the other advice, but there are other avenues than agents that can also be exhausted.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score

And now on the other end of the spectrum, the shotgun approach:

222 queries sent in one month

Responses: 85
Rejections of the query: 54
Requests: 31

Offers of Representation: 5

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
That's cool prawn. I've heard of others (one in particular) doing something similar and getting the same results-- 5 offers (I don't know how many she actually sent, just that it was broad). The problem is, for new writers it is hard to know when you're really ready. You could easily get 222 rejections because there was something wrong-- then guess what? You're screwed! I think that I personally would be too scared to do that. I'll take the patient approach thank you!

COchick

in a holding pattern
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leighgrayson.blogspot.com
I think I've posted my number before, and I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was somewhere in the 60-70 range. I think. Although I would have queried many more agents than that if necessary.

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
I lack the confidence to shotgun. :D

I think everyone has had good advice, even if none of it seems to match up. :) I don't even know how many rejections I've gotten (I don't like to count), but I did it in stages: send a couple, see what happens, send a couple more. I had great results on the query letters... sucky results on partials and fulls, so it was back to the drawing board with the book itself.

Maybe I'll have the guts to shotgun when this revision is done. Maybe.

Purple Rose

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
And now on the other end of the spectrum, the shotgun approach:

222 queries sent in one month

Offers of Representation: 5

Bravo Prawn! So happy for you!! I am just starting to think my day will come. Perhaps. Maybe. Oh yes, it will!

I'll pass on the shot gun approach though. I'll wait and test my queries first.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! Post your query in query hell and Jim and the critters there will help you with it.

I have a theory that agents don't place as much stock in a well-written query anymore, or even a well-written first chapter anymore, since those things are very easy to pass around and workshop. Lots of people have good queries and many of those have good first chapters. A well-written query or first chapter may not be an evidence that the book is well written. It is the subsequent chapters that show if an author can write.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I sent about 250 on the first book, with 9 requests, and about 250 on the second, with something like 15 or 17 requests, lots of personalized rejections, and ended up with two offers of rep. Sooo, 500 or so. ;)

I take query widely seriously. I didn't finish out either list entirely, and the agent who took me on was one of the earliest ones I sent to, but I'm all for sending to everyone who looks like a possibility.

Purple Rose

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
I sent about 250 on the first book, with 9 requests, and about 250 on the second, with something like 15 or 17 requests, lots of personalized rejections, and ended up with two offers of rep. Sooo, 500 or so. ;)

I take query widely seriously. I didn't finish out either list entirely, and the agent who took me on was one of the earliest ones I sent to, but I'm all for sending to everyone who looks like a possibility.

Wow Kaitie! Your perseverance paid off, clearly! I remember when I saw your post about the offer (Feb, I think) I was so happy for you it felt like it was happening to a personal friend.

The agent list for memoirs is that much shorter, probably no more than 120. I've got 107, with 42 out as of last night. 65 to go. I am afraid I am squandering my opportunities with each query.

Testing the queries now before I decide to put it on QLH.

Sandsurfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I've read quite a few posts where people said sent 100-250. And I've also read that in articles and on agent blogs. So... keep going if you're only at 32.

mbowman

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I thought this thread was dead.

Well, I didn't give up after visiting my writing mentor and she nearly slapped me over the head and told me not to give up because it took her 10 years to get published, yet she eventually did it.

I sent out 15 more query letters, now playing the waiting game. If I don't get any responses on those, then it's back to query letter hell for me. If I do get a positive response on the query, then I'll start shotgunning queries and see where that gets me, I guess.

And to Prawn and Kaitie-- wow, over 200 queries? That gives me hope that sometime, if I keep sending them out, I might just get an offer.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
After 3 I begin to feel like a loser.
After 10, like a fool.

That's just me. I don't apply this to others, for the record.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Let's leave old threads to live their remaining days quietly, shall we, Ken?

Status
Not open for further replies.