Too much like anime...a predicament

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
I was thinking about this post last night and came back to re-read some of the responses. After some thought, I agree with Violeta. Try distancing yourself from the medium you fell you're copying. Read some different types of books, magazines, comics. Watch non-anime related shows. See what that does for your writing.

I still believe your story will work fine-- but if you're worried about it then I back Violeta's post.

AGragon

Nom Nom Fish
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't know if it was Anime unless there were drawings in there or Japanese names. I personally hate anime, but like many said before me, YA with flashy fighting scenes and mass destruction sounds good.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Flashy fight scenes, mass destruction, animal-human hybrids, unusual hair all can and have been done in YA fiction. If you write it well, your story can contain almost anything you want -- there's almost nothing that 'can't be done' in YA.

(My own fantasy YA stories take a few influences from all kinds of anime, from Howl's Moving Castle to Haibane Renmei. And there are battles galore!)

Step away from anime and immerse yourself in YA fiction of all kinds (action-adventure, sci-fi, fantasy, contemporary) and you'll start to get an idea of how to bring your story to life.

rendezvous_with_leon

Registered
Reaction score
Don't even worry about it. It sounds awesome. :) I agree with what everyone else has said as well. Just take a break from anime (or manga I guess) for a while (lol, I am such a hypocrite) and read some other YA and such. It doesn't sound like your issue is one you need to drown yourself in concern over. Just keep writing!! :)

Hope I helped, at least a little!

-tabby