HUGE mistake no chance for R&R?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Pardon me for saying this, but Torgo's story doesn't make me shiver in fear. It makes me angry. First, because even in the early 90s there was internet, and other options besides a physical trip to NY. I know because I had a California agent from '91 to' 99, and never once went to them. Torgo's uncle Giles, being new, wouldn't have known this, but Garon could have made allowances. Especially if Giles had mentioned the reasons why travel was impractical at the time.

The fact that Garon didn't, to the point that the receptionist remembered the case, only points to some profound possible negatives in dealing with him. Grisham's agent or not, Garon does not come across as thoroughly professional and rational in this story.

Let me just say: Uncle Giles told me this story about a decade ago, and I may have misremembered the exact circs of the offer! Please don't judge the late Mr Garon based on this....

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
if really true, Giles must be published?

C'mon Torgo, April Fool's is dead n gone, 'tis with O'Leary - in the grave.

He self-published it in the end. Fame and fortune continues to elude him, I'm afraid.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I feel both ways. The missed chance was so huge, but it doesn't sound like Giles did anything to warrant being hung up on. It also seems weird--especially in this day--that the agent would require him to visit to sign him. Certainly a phone call would have sufficed. What if Giles had lived in California or South Africa?

Again - that's the detail of the story I'm shaky on...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Heh heh, I'm nowhere near NY, but through the convention grapevine and private loops I have heard some glorious tales about agent and editor incompetence, iniquity, and all around diva behavior. I'm sworn to secrecy, but I know a few Names I'd politely back away from if offered the chance to work with them.

Me too, Filigree. Me too.

It's why I always stress that GOOD agents work in a certain way. Not all do.

The first time I parted company with an agent I felt sick. I thought I'd never find another. But it was definitely the right thing to do. I can't work with people who don't call when they say they will, and who aren't reliable or open.

quianaa2001

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for kicking some well needed sense into my butt!
I LOVE writing! I've loved it since I was hand writing anime fan-fiction in 5th grade, which was WAY back in 1999!!! (I'm SO OLD LOL JK But it really feels like it! ;) )

In the middle of my senior year of high school I totally changed gears to writing from art. The only thing take makes this whole thing HARD is the rejections. It's compounded by my always raging depression which makes everything feel so much worse.

Like everyone else I feel like I can do this, only if 'they' give me a chance.
I want to prove to my family I can do this.
I want to see MY book on a bookstore shelf. I even walk around B&N looking at the shelves thinking 'someday, please someday.'

On my bad days I just want to bury my head in the sand & give up, among other things. My depression always tells me I should give up because I suck. But my logical side knows my book is good. *SIGH*
Sorry long post is long

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for kicking some well needed sense into my butt!
I LOVE writing! I've loved it since I was hand writing anime fan-fiction in 5th grade, which was WAY back in 1999!!! (I'm SO OLD LOL JK But it really feels like it! ;) )

In the middle of my senior year of high school I totally changed gears to writing from art. The only thing take makes this whole thing HARD is the rejections. It's compounded by my always raging depression which makes everything feel so much worse.

Like everyone else I feel like I can do this, only if 'they' give me a chance.
I want to prove to my family I can do this.
I want to see MY book on a bookstore shelf. I even walk around B&N looking at the shelves thinking 'someday, please someday.'

On my bad days I just want to bury my head in the sand & give up, among other things. My depression always tells me I should give up because I suck. But my logical side knows my book is good. *SIGH*
Sorry long post is long

You can do it if you're good and work hard.

'They' are giving you a chance - the chance is about polishing and having likely more than one ms. (because everyone grows and changes and gets better), and revising and editing and polishing and etc., and querying and etc.

Same as anything else. No one gets on Broadway because someone gave them a chance - people get there because they work their asses off and then go to auditions with hundreds and hundreds of people, pin numbers to their chests, and try every day to be the best in the room.

quianaa2001

Registered
Reaction score
You can do it if you're good and work hard.

'They' are giving you a chance - the chance is about polishing and having likely more than one ms. (because everyone grows and changes and gets better), and revising and editing and polishing and etc., and querying and etc.

Same as anything else. No one gets on Broadway because someone gave them a chance - people get there because they work their asses off and then go to auditions with hundreds and hundreds of people, pin numbers to their chests, and try every day to be the best in the room.

You are TOTALLY right! Thank you for that! I have to keep doing the work even when my depression kicks my a*s and I want to toss it all in.
It's about the work

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
And I'll add that just because one agent, or even 70, reject your work, it STILL doesn't mean it isn't good or doesn't show promise. Writing is an art and as such, it's subjective, even among agents and editors. Try not to judge yourself, even if something you write fails. It's all a learning process, and you can always use what you've learned to do better next time.

Sometimes it takes multiple revisions or manuscripts, and/or querying many agents to find that special match. But keep trying. Don't be discouraged. Trust me, the disappointments and rejections don't ever stop. All you can do is not let them stop you. I bet your real dream agent is still ahead. There's a bigger pool of great agents than you might think. Keep on keeping on.

footinmouth

Everybody wants to be a princess
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annalangford.blogspot.com
I can't breathe. That is too much. Once I start actually querying, I figure I'll have my phone permanently attached to my hand, just in case!