If an agent asks for an outline...

Katana

On the edge...
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't reached this point, but I'd like to be prepared in case an agent asks.

If the book you're querying is part of a series, and an agent wants an outline of the sequels, how much detail is that? Is it just the basic plot in a paragraph or two, or do they really want a one or two page synopsis per book?

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I gave a 1,000-word synopsis of the sequel (including the ending) and it got several positive responses. I also warned the agents who requested the synopsis that I rarely stay true to the outline once I start writing, and they seemed to be okay with that.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Different agents want different things.

If you're really concerned, prepare a few: a couple of lines per book; a paragraph per book; and a page per book.

But otherwise, so long as you can describe it coherently if you're asked about it, you're fine.

Katana

On the edge...
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Putputt and Old Hack. Writing a few different lengths is a great idea, and it's good to know the maximun size doesn't need to be more than 1,000 words.

I'm much obliged. :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
An outline is an outline, and I've never talked to an agent who cared about anything except keeping it reasonably short. The best answer to such questions usually comes by finding an outline online that was written by a top writer. Being able to see an actual example helps greatly. Robert J. Sawyer writes outlines, and synopses, that are about as standard in every way as you can get. http://www.sfwriter.com/ouindex.htm

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't have to give an outline for a sequel to my agent, but I did to my editor. I kept it to about 2 pages and hit the main plot points. It ended up changing a lot by the final MS.