You're thoughts on the app?

• Total voters

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
So apparently, there's a new app called The Clean Reader.

By choosing either clean, cleaner, or squeaky clean, readers can scrub any of the 1 million-plus titles available for download via the app of any and all offensive material. According to the man behind the app, Jared Maughan, “The idea for Clean Reader started at our dinner table after our daughter’s first exposure to books with swear words. It’s taken significant time and effort to take it from an interesting idea to a really fantastic mobile app that we’re excited to offer to the world,” and if you’re ready to take the anonymous tweets provided to the public at face value, this exact service is exactly what a certain subset of readers have been waiting for.

The link gives a couple of examples.

In a way I do get it. Some people are offended by certain words, yet still want to enjoy reading. But writers spend a lot of time finding the right words for their work. Also, doesn't it rob the work of some of it's honesty?

I'm not big on using say the F word, but I have on occasion. In my book Just Breathe, it's used sparingly, but when it is used it's for impact.

jimmymc

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Not much impact anymore... it does become annoying in conversation or reading when it's used every three words.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I bet there would be an even bigger market for the Dirty Reader, which would scan for euphemisms and turn them into the equivalent profanities.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I bet there would be an even bigger market for the Dirty Reader, which would scan for euphemisms and turn them into the equivalent profanities.

I was just thinking that. I've read some books which wimped out and had "Tarnation!" or even "_____", with the text informing me in subdued, maiden-aunt tones that the word was "an obscenity". I'd be fine with an app that filled in those blanks, or changed "blithering" to something that didn't sound like Captain Haddock was saying it.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it would rob my MC of his voice. He swears a lot--current count this draft is 245 F-bombs. It's appropriate for his character, and I think a lot would be lost in a sanitized version.

Idly wondering how it handles things like "pussy willow" and "cock-a-doodle-doo"...

And now I'm wondering how filthy a scene I can come up with that doesn't use an "unclean" word... Heh. There goes my evening!

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com

I was just thinking that. I've read some books which wimped out and had "Tarnation!" or even "_____", with the text informing me in subdued, maiden-aunt tones that the word was "an obscenity". I'd be fine with an app that filled in those blanks, or changed "blithering" to something that didn't sound like Captain Haddock was saying it.

So how does one create an app? Can we come together on this?

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Can we make one that just finds-replaces words in ebooks? We could have a party with that.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Censorship of any kind sticks in my craw. (And, being a human, that's really inconvenient... I'm not even supposed to have one of those things.)

"Cleaning" books like that... it's like those outfits that edit content out of movies to make them "family" films. They weren't made to be clean family films. They were made to be what they were made to be. Anyone who doesn't want that... why do they have to watch that movie anyway? If I don't like gore, I don't watch gore - I don't sit around hoping someone edits the gore out just so I can watch that horror movie everyone's talking about, when there are a metric ton of titles out there without gore for me to watch. It's catering to this false idea that one size of entertainment ought to fit everyone. It doesn't work like that. You can edit and ban and censor all you want, but you can't force the whole world into your likeness.

There are plenty of books written for those of gentler sensibilities. People are free to read them - just as I'm free to read stuff those people would object to. (For now, at least...)

JMHBEO (just my humble badly-expressed opinion)...

As for how sensitive it is, I keep thinking of my experiences with forums run by, shall we say, certain sheltered individuals who set the profanity filters on high. You couldn't discuss certain names or authors without ridiculous workarounds - you'd have to change it to Emily "Richard"inson if you didn't want your post flagged.

(And that alternate app sounds like a blast, and a sure-fire best-seller! Let us know when you want backers - I want in on the ground floor of this one...)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reminded of the fairly recent Huck Finn edits. Yeah, if you want to kill the soul of a book or a story, remove everything that offends you first. And have a nice day.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
According to the man behind the app, Jared Maughan, “The idea for Clean Reader started at our dinner table after our daughter’s first exposure to books with swear words.

I just don't see the point of this. I don't believe in sheltering kids from the real world. Which, unless she stays hidden inside the house, will experience and likely run up against those swear words.

I believe in equipping kids to deal with the real world.

Filigree said:
If the book offends you, STOP READING IT.

Yes. Or if it just bores you.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
coming soon: clean art connoisseur

guaranteed to slap a black bar over tits, ass and any pink parts.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Captain Haddock never said "blithering." His favourite minced oath was "blistering barnacles!"

My dad uses "blithering" loosely. Especially the combination of "blithering ninny."

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
This app is dumb on many levels.

But...it's also voluntary, so I can't really get too steamed about it.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
What we need is an app that reads books to you in the voice of a famous person.

Robert Di Niro reading the Harry Potter Novels!

Christopher Walker reading a Nora Roberts Romance!!

Fran Drescher reading A Stephen King Novel!

Yoda reading erotica!!!

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

It's voluntary to a degree... it can also be used to further shelter/isolate people whose communities already try to cut them off from the "evil" outer world.

Even in books, they can't escape...

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm reading All The King's Men by Robert Penn Warren and an early subplot is a small Southern town choosing not to hire a better construction company to build the local school thanks to a scare campaign to convince the townsfolk that the company would bring in mostly black construction workers from the city who would earn more money than the locals.

Being a 1930's redneck town in the US South, you can imagine in what terms they describe the construction workers and the narrator when he tries to defend them. Having them call the narrator a "Black person-lover" is simply glossing over a reality many know and the author tries to convey.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
What we need is an app that reads books to you in the voice of a famous person.

Robert Di Niro reading the Harry Potter Novels!

Christopher Walker reading a Nora Roberts Romance!!

Fran Drescher reading A Stephen King Novel!

Yoda reading erotica!!!

Sylvester Stallone reading Infinite Jest.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Shunning controversy stifles potential teaching moments and dialogue. I'd rather talk to my son about difficult subjects in a scholarly way than avoid them altogether.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, isn't she a dumbassed fucking bitch. Too bad Blockbuster went under, they'd have happily partnered with her.

It's not voluntary for the authors whose books are basically being edited by an app without their knowledge or approval - same as it wasn't for the filmmakers whose films Blockbuster edited.

This is so beyond not ok. Buy a book, take a marker to it, if you're that nuts. Don't electronically erase words as if they weren't there to begin with, or, worse, replace them with others.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Shunning controversy stifles potential teaching moments and dialogue. I'd rather talk to my son about difficult subjects in a scholarly way than avoid them altogether.

Exactly. Sooner or later he will have to face these topics, so it's better to discuss it with you and learn how to process them.

Tailcoat

Hugger of Kittens
Registered
Reaction score
Yoda reading erotica!!!

How about Betty White? :D

How about a joke app that replaces all profanity with silly words like in bad TV versions of movies. Remember "I'm sick of monkey fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane"? I even once heard "melon farmer," which is awesome.

Censoring what everyone knows is there seems so childish. Hell, kids were swearing by the time I got to Jr. High, if not sooner, anyway. They'll probably know what's supposed to be there.

I wonder what would happen if you ran some erotica through that thing. Hopefully something magical and hilarious. Wouldn't you like to play erotica Mad Libs?

Last edited: