• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

MoLoLu

Registered
Reaction score
My mind thinks: Oooh cool - my final project just got pushed back by a month due to time constraints. Maybe I'll finish my first draft before I go to hell after all.

ylrebmik

Registered
Reaction score
Working on my first WIP. Restarted it multiple times, and I'm determined to pull through and finish the rough before going back. I'm preweriting more than I ever have and really trying to figure out these characters.

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on my YA novel, and I'm frustrated (see signature). It's been going very slowly as of late. The most I've been able to do is scribble down a few ideas here and there for other parts of the story, but I guess that's better than nothing. Still, I haven't solved the big problem near the end, but I'll get there eventually. I hope. :) The characters are taking shape though. I think I might be swiping something from one of my other book ideas and using it in this one instead, as it seems to tie into the story.

I'm also working on 2 other projects-- a lengthy poem in the style of "The Night Before Christmas" and a children's picture book, the latter of which I may work on an agent query for soon. I'd just like to get the word count up a bit and make sure that it all still flows. It's currently so short (less than 200 words), and I wonder how well it will do in that state?

Well, that's what's floating around in my writing brain at the moment. Good idea for a thread.

Ginger Writer

Writing like a madwoman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'd just like to get the word count up a bit and make sure that it all still flows. It's currently so short (less than 200 words), and I wonder how well it will do in that state?

My impression is that "too short" is much more likely to get an agent than too long for children's picture books.

Anyway, what's on my mind with my writing? Well, I just finished my send-out draft of my YA novel last night, so pending making my query and full synopsis as perfect as I can, I'll be sending that out into the world soon.

So it's something like this: :snoopy: :partyguy: :Hammer: :box: :e2cheer: :gaah :yessmiley :e2thud:

Garriga

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to write the ending to a collaborative story. I am having trouble putting my vision into words.

I like doing collaborative for fun, but I will never volunteer the write the ending.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I have an experiment going on between a YA fantasy/thriller and a YA distopian--both are of equal length. The former has an irresistible premise, but starts off a little slow. The later has a kick-ass title and begins with a first-page banger hook. It will be interesting to see which one gets more read requests. The first one is already racking up some form rejections that I didn't expect.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I'm thinking about what programs I want to use to write, if that makes sense. I have Word, Word Pad, and yWriter. I'm kind of already writing something in yWriter right now, and I do really like the ease of double clicking and the project I'm working on opening. On the other hand, my stories turn out to be a little longer in yWriter, but that could just be due to plot or luck rather than the actual program. Haha.

I guess the one thing I worry about when using writing program software is whether or not I make smooth transition from scene to scene. Hm...

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
I've been on a rather long hiatus from writing because I don't have time anymore. It seems like I never get anything done and adding writing to my to do list...well it's in last place right now. On top of that my laptop has been broken for a couple months now and I keep meaning to fix it but it goes back to the to-do list conundrum. I've decided if I ever get time to write I'll work on revising my novella into a novel, or at the very least a better novella. But time, again, is a big issue. I've been avoiding AW since Christmas because I can't stand to be around writers without writing lol. But I'm back now so maybe I'm trying to get back into it. But I worry the longer I go without writing, the more likely it is I will never get back to it.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
Been working feverishly on the second tie-in prequel short to the book. I happen to glance at my Amazon numbers, and behold, I've hit the top 100 best-seller list for Science Fiction. Now I can type with peace of mind, knowing that something is happening in the background, whilst I'm slaving away.

Tri:snoopy:

Jinbei

a baby shark
Registered
Reaction score
what I think about my writing ...

I think I'm getting better.
but still stuck in the complexity of the world building. the concept getting wider and complex
I wonder will it still can be understandable and enjoyable to read or not?

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking when I finally get this first draft written, it's going to need a SERIOUS overhaul. I keep twitching; wanting to go back a few chapters and change bits.

Stevejns

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, reading through these posts I see I'm not unique in feeling lost sometimes. I've got one fiction novel started, one children's book almost done, lots of ideas, now I'm trying to put the horse in front of the cart and learn how to "get 'er done!"

wishflower

blanket fort afficianado
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.q-washburn.com
I'm thinking that I need to get better at not trying to edit as I write. I keep deleting stuff I've written and re-writing it, and my progress on my WIP has really slowed to a crawl. Augh.

Ditto!

But I think I'm using revising as I go as an escape from the writing. I had a really good pace going, but then I realized I really needed to beef up my subplots (as in I completely ignored them, so was having trouble with the ending because they didn't exist... except in my head). I've gone through and put in markers for what I need to write, but am really dragging my feet when it comes to the writing.

This is my first novel, and it's grown so much larger that I expected. I feel like I'm juggling all these different things, and am afraid if I make my next move I'll drop something. So it's easier to polish what I have, because it's scary to start really ripping it apart and possibly destroying it.

I also worry a lot about revisions, even though I'm really not there yet. :)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I'm really hoping I can finish this current WIP soon, because I'm kind of ready to start on something else. Haha. I have two or three WIP ideas in my head right now, and I kind of want to get started on those soon. Then again, with one, I have to make sure that I can write it in the first place.

Pikabuddy

Learning more every day
Registered
Reaction score
Finished the first draft of my 145k fantasy last night. Now it's back to revising...which I am semi-looking forward to. Like others have said, I'm mentally exhausted.

TheaBlowsKisses

steaming up the e-readers
Registered
Reaction score
I've been feeling a bit apprehensive about the first two parts of my WIP (sci-fi/fantasy erotica). Part One is from the POV of Main Character A, while Part Two is from the POV of Main Character B. (Part Three alternates POV by chapter, Part Four alternates by either chapter or scene.) Parts One and Two cover the same period of time. The characters interact a number of times, but obviously, what happens in between those parts is wildly different. Even though I think there's a big enough difference to justify it, and I think I've been pretty good with pacing and verrrrry gradually revealing the mystery behind Main Character B throughout the whole thing, part of me is thinking, "You just told the same story twice, no one's going to care about these characters anymore."

I promise the book makes more sense than that paragraph.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
This is on my mind: I approach edits of my novel with a butcher knife in hand. When I've gone through the whole 147k MS, I've added yet more words.

Why?

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to get back into writing after a mostly hiyatus (medically induced) of some six years. Evey time I try to commit words to page, they come out awful and stilted. I feel like I've lost every bit of growth and progress I made in the 14 years of near-constant writing I had before I fell sick.

It's getting very hard not to be utterly discouraged at the thought of having to do it all again - or at the thought of what happens if I have another flare-up. The only thing driving me to try it is how much I missed it, and how natural it feels to be laying out scenes, even if they come out more like laundry lists. But the results just make me sad and angry at myself, stuff I delete without even rereading because it's just that bad, and I have this awful feeling that I'll never get back to the quality or the pure joy of creation that came with my published stuff ever again. I don't know if the stress is worth it. </ useless whining>

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
i need to get through some stuff at work so I can start again

i'm not sure if my first novel should just be trunked because of how much I've learned in the past year, and I should start from scratch whith a different one that's been kicking around anyway....

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
This is on my mind: I approach edits of my novel with a butcher knife in hand. When I've gone through the whole 147k MS, I've added yet more words.

Why?

Heh, heh. Aw, you're just fleshing it out some more.

ETA: Having a real tough time getting this prequel short done. I'm spaced out in space again.

EngineerTiger

Writing HF Again, Thank God
Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
I've started the first prequel, Tri. It's a lot of fun so far!

I know what you mean about being in space, half the time I'm not sure what century I'm in.