About.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
Any Guides on here that can give tips on naming Categories?

Alicia

RamJay

Registered
Reaction score
If I didn't get picked for training...and they only take the first 5, will they take the next 5 apps if no one works out? My topic of choice is still listed as available. Should I reapply, or will they go down the list if they need more applicants?

They also don't remove the site from the list until they hire someone. I also don't think it is a matter of them taking the first five or however many they pick. I think they take the first five they think are qualified. I'm sure they will go to their next group of top candidates if no one passes prep.

Crystal Lewis

Courageous Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Have a cookie -- :e2cookie:

Awww thanks... I appreciate that. I'll take a super moist chocolate cookie with chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and chocolate icing.
On second thought... I'll just take a bowl of chocolate syrup... :partyguy:

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Crystal:

I'm sorry to hear you didn't make it into prep for Cols, OH. I'm sure you would have been great!

I just received an email that someone was hired for arts and crafts business (for which I had applied, but didn't get into prep). I'll be really curious to see who got that one, since I believe that one was literally custom made for me.

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
Nancy ~ I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you didn't get arts & crafts. I have a real respect for those who are great at a and c.

I just made paper mache baloons with my kids. It was really relaxing and fun. But still, I have major respect for arts and craft folks.

Are you trying to write for Family Fun at all? They seem into crafts big time.

Alicia

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Alicia:

I was actually a working fiber artist for 10 years and began writing about the fine crafts industry 5 years ago. I also owned a gallery for a short time. See? Perfect topic for me!

I was probably late to the party - the topic must have been up a while when I applied. It bugs me that when new topics are posted, there is no indicator to flag them.

On a lighter note, about the only family fun I know about is the mostly dysfunctional kind ;).

Good luck with your pursuit of a topic!

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Guides Who Might Be Reading ~

I'm in stage 2 now. What are the editors specifically looking for at this point? Just knowledge/understanding of the tools?

Or?

Any help is appreciated!

THANKS!!

Alicia

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com

I'm in stage 2 now. What are the editors specifically looking for at this point? Just knowledge/understanding of the tools?

Or?

Any help is appreciated!

THANKS!!

Alicia

I would think they are looking to see that you are using them correctly, including the right form of coding (there's different versions depending on where you are writing)
Also, whether you are choosing the right template for what you are writing - putting lists of things in "List", reviews in one of the review template, etc.

It's probably also just the whole way the site comes together - nice pictures if your site warrants them (like mine, tons of pics. Others..not so much) Your categories intuitive and clear. Things like that.

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
I woke up this morning wondering: where is Eric Hansen? I haven't seen his posts on here and I was sort of hoping he might chime in with his expert advice.

Alicia

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
If you are in Prep now, he will not be chiming in here...you should revisit some of the Prep documents and be sure you're on track, instead.

And (my About.com mantra!)...proofread! Everything! Three times after you publish it!

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com

My understanding from when I went thru Prep (two years ago) is that in addition to being able to write coherently and work well with the tools, an ideal Guide candidates also responds to the feedback given at the end of stage 1. In other words, if the editor gave you five or six things to change, you should do them. Now :)

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Patti. I changed everything he said to change. Definitely. And the tools are no problem for me. I've used something similar in the past.

My concern is that I'm going for a topic that I'm betting attracts professional writers -- people who would be writing for other sites/magazines if they don't get this job.

And that's me too, but I'm doing a number on myself thinking that I have majorly stiff competition!

(Any opportunity to do a number on myself, I'm there)

Love your title Welcome to the Dork Side!

Alicia

RamJay

Registered
Reaction score
That was actually the hardest part about prep for me -- always wondering who I was up against, if anyone, and what they were doing, how they were doing, etc. It's weird because I've made it a point in my professional life to not worry about what others, co-workers, competition, etc., were doing. But I couldn't get past it in prep. Maybe that was because the unknown factor is so thrown out there by the process, About and others that it becomes bigger than reality. Obviously a little psychological, but for some reason it really bothered me, and I'm pretty sure it has been on the minds of many who have gone through prep. Not sure if About intended for that to be something to work through during prep or not, but it's definitely a factor.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
That was actually the hardest part about prep for me -- always wondering who I was up against, if anyone, and what they were doing, how they were doing, etc. It's weird because I've made it a point in my professional life to not worry about what others, co-workers, competition, etc., were doing. But I couldn't get past it in prep. Maybe that was because the unknown factor is so thrown out there by the process, About and others that it becomes bigger than reality. Obviously a little psychological, but for some reason it really bothered me, and I'm pretty sure it has been on the minds of many who have gone through prep. Not sure if About intended for that to be something to work through during prep or not, but it's definitely a factor.

I don't think it is at all intentional. They just want to make sure they have the best quality and creating competition really helps out in trying to get the best quality.

I did feel the exact same way during prep. It's easy to say that all you can do is your best and not worry about it, but it's a little harder to follow through with it.

I think one reason they changed prep is to relieve the stress on applicants. It is organized better and there is more emphasis on writing a few quality pieces whereas the old way could make applicants think they needed to write 50 or 100 pieces of content to get the position.

cvernonpal

Registered
Reaction score
Model Railroad Trains position

Anyone know if they are currently going through prep for Model Railroad Trains. It's been on the list for a LONG time.

I have a friend who would be perfect.

Last edited:

Alicia64

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm in prep. Do most people in training instantly take to the tools? How much training do the editors give the guides in training before they feel like there's too many questions?

I'm just curious. I have a good understanding of the tools and I'm wondering how much that effects the outcome (who they select).

Just stressed at this point. Off to eat some chocolate (this experience hasn't been great for my weight maintenance!! )

Alicia

Marcelyn

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Alicia,

I haven't been keeping track of the time, but just wanted to wish you good luck. Your prep's probably winding down. Congrats for making it through.

mariad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mariadiaz.org
web humor is in prep :(

After hemming & hawing over my 500 word writing sample for web humor, I checked the status and saw that it's already in prep. Just wanted to put a note here in case anyone else has applied for that position. Sigh, better luck next time, right?

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
can anyone tell me how to check whether something is in Prep yet? will it say that if you do a "application status" check, like "this is in Prep"?

I'm curious if one or two topics have hit prep yet or if I still have a decent chance, thanks for any hints and tips to checking on prep status.

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Yes, when you check application status, it will either generally say "We havent had a chance to check your app yet" or "We have a group in Prep, we'll keep your app on hand in case"...something like that anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.