Title says it all.

Just curious.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Yes. I got my agent after I had a contract offer for a M/M erotic romance space opera from one of the bigger erotic romance digital-first publishers. I needed an agent because of possible contract issues with other work. Her help was invaluable.

She will be representing both my future erotic romance books and mainstream fantasy. Why? Because M/M is heating up in mainstream markets: I know of at least two M/M authors - with explicit content - who have had agented deals with major publishers in the last year.

That said, which agent you get is important. When I was querying that space opera, all three of the qualified agencies said no. I did not bother with agents I did not consider qualified to handle both of my genres. Track record is as critical as sympathy toward genres. (My first agent, years back, is not comfortable with my direction toward M/M.) I know of one 'agent' who, while a great supporter of the M/M genre, did not really help several clients.

Many M/M authors do just fine without an agent, provided they pay attention to contract details. Mine was an odd case.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I have an agent who contracted after reading my fantasy manuscript and also a published m/m romance I wrote. When I wrote another m/m romance, she sold it in a two book deal to Berkley Intermix. (It's the book currently in my avatar and in my sig as Out Now.)

But other m/m writers I know do excellently without agents. If I didn't also write fantasy, I may not have looked for one. But I am very very glad I have one now.

Last edited:

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Not me. I haven't felt the need so far and in fact I only know of one other fellow UK writer of M/M who has one. (Though of course there could be others I don't know about.)

Wouldn't rule it out for the future, but at this stage in my career I think I'm okay without one.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Not for m/m. All the publishers I work with don't require an agent to sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.