A GAME OF THRONES (HBO) -- POSSIBLE SPOILERS

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
A little over 4 hours to go to episode 2, of season 2.

Don't forget to check back and discuss...

I am ashamed to admit, I've already seen ep2 season 2, just four hours ago. I live in Sweden, my daughter's boyfriend called and said he had it. I was on it. I won't spoil it though. :D

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
A little over 4 hours to go to episode 2, of season 2.

Don't forget to check back and discuss...

Will see you Monday. We don't get to watch it until then because we have little ones and we record so much stuff on Sunday nights that GoT doesn't get to record on the DVR until midnight.

So, see you Monday! Cannot wait.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts about episode 2...

Arya's character was always interesting as in not a typical young girl, but the actress Maisie Williams is really doing well with the part.

Asha, Theon's sister, I expected someone a bit more, I don't know, robust? I am sure she will grow on me though as I loved her character is the book...

The one thing I am puzzled about is that it seems the series has given us a character I don't remember much about from the book. Littlefingers head whore, Ros. I am not complaining as Esme Bianco plays Ros well. I just don't remember Ros having as big a role as the series has given her.

I liked how Sam was not afraid of Jon's wolf and how they introduced the bit of information about what happens to the boy babies by Craster.

If anyone is interested in looking up what actors/actresses play what roles you go to this IMDb link...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/fullcredits#cast

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
My knee- jerk reaction to this episode - did the TV writers just make all of it up?? There was so much in that episode that I'm pretty sure was not in the book. I'm not saying I didn't like it, but it was a bit of a shock after they stuck so closely to the book in season 1.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Ghost was awesome. They really figured out the CGI for the direwolves.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Theon meeting his sister and father was pretty faithful to the book. The scenes of the Night Watch at Crasters was pretty faithful.

I don't recall the scene with Dani and the beheaded horse lord, but I didn't mind it because I think it helps Dani understand what she is in for...

I don't recall the scene with Stannis and Melisandre making love on the stone table of Westros, but again, I did not mind.

And the way Arya told Gendry her secret was different from the book, but did we really want to observe Arya peeing in the bushes? I think it worked well...

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I think part of their strategy for the TV series is to add stuff that couldn't be shown in the books because of the viewpoint structure. In the second book we never got to see Stannis and Melisandre alone, so we don't know if they were doing it on the Painted Table. Now we see it onscreen.

The Ros character is new - she wasn't in the books at all. She seems to have replaced Chataya, who ran the brothel in King's Landing.

Creepiest line of the night: "My losses were definitely mitigated."

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
...did we really want to observe Arya peeing in the bushes? I think it worked well...
I thought we did see Arya peeing in the woods, albeit from the waist up.
Creepiest line of the night: "My losses were definitely mitigated."
As I said, that whole conversation made me dislike Littlefinger all anew and glowy.

And Ros has had a very wide character arc in the tv show (I never read past like chap 4 in the first book), seeing as she was Jon's near miss and Theon's favorite up north before buying her way south with Tyrion's money. So, everyone knows her, that's for sure...

Tyrion was great in this episode, btw.

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
I really did like the episode; I was just surprised that there was so much added. We definitely never saw Stannis & Melisandre; in fact I've always assumed that they were not together, but that's just an interpretation. And I loved the scene with Littlefinger and Ros.

Does anyone know why they changed Asha's name to Yara? The only thing Mr. Grr and I could come up with was that it sounds too close to Osha, who's already at Winterfell, but I don't know if that's the reason or not.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I stayed up to watch it. Couldn't help it!

Craster and the babies. Just creepy as hell! Mamma loves her babies. Yes she does! (grin)

Gilly wasn't introduced until book 3, so I'm wondering where they're going with that. I don't see how they can take her with them now. But, who knows.

I loved the scenes between Tyrion and Cersei. While not in the books, the sentiment was there, especially in Cersei's POV and the way Dinklage reacted to it was just harrowing. Damn, he's good. He's so frickin' good. Doesn't have to utter a word and he can convey a lifetime of pain in his eyes.

Ros, the whore, was not in the books. I'm not a fan, but I see the purpose she serves--to give Littlefinger more characterization. I also think she's kind of taking over for Chataya from the books. We'll see.

The scene between Tyrion and Janos Slynt was pure awesome! I love that scene in the book.

Arya is great as always, but, sometimes I wish they'd get clearer dialogue. My husband did not even pick up on the fact that the two boys were named "Hot Pie" and "Lommy." I did like Jaqen speaking to Arya (yay!) and how Gendry and Arya played off one another when he told her he knew she was a girl.

Dany only really had 3-4 chapters in Clash with Kings, so I imagine they'll be beefing her material up a bit, maybe even bringing in some stuff from book 3.

Stannis and Melisandre never, uhhh, did anything that we could SEE in the books. We only get all of that through Davos' POV. I think it was implied, especially when we get to see what she does with her... uh..... yeah.... conception-like experience.... in an episode or two. :D

Grrarrgh

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I stayed up to watch it. Couldn't help it!

Craster and the babies. Just creepy as hell! Mamma loves her babies. Yes she does! (grin)

Gilly wasn't introduced until book 3, so I'm wondering where they're going with that. I don't see how they can take her with them now. But, who knows.

I loved the scenes between Tyrion and Cersei. While not in the books, the sentiment was there, especially in Cersei's POV and the way Dinklage reacted to it was just harrowing. Damn, he's good. He's so frickin' good. Doesn't have to utter a word and he can convey a lifetime of pain in his eyes.

Ros, the whore, was not in the books. I'm not a fan, but I see the purpose she serves--to give Littlefinger more characterization. I also think she's kind of taking over for Chataya from the books. We'll see.

The scene between Tyrion and Janos Slynt was pure awesome! I love that scene in the book.

Arya is great as always, but, sometimes I wish they'd get clearer dialogue. My husband did not even pick up on the fact that the two boys were named "Hot Pie" and "Lommy." I did like Jaqen speaking to Arya (yay!) and how Gendry and Arya played off one another when he told her he knew she was a girl.

Dany only really had 3-4 chapters in Clash with Kings, so I imagine they'll be beefing her material up a bit, maybe even bringing in some stuff from book 3.

Stannis and Melisandre never, uhhh, did anything that we could SEE in the books. We only get all of that through Davos' POV. I think it was implied, especially when we get to see what she does with her... uh..... yeah.... conception-like experience.... in an episode or two. :D

I think Gilly showed up briefly in book 2 (ACOK was 2, wasn't it) in the scene from last night, asking Jon to take her with them, but that may have been it until ASOS.

But that scene with Tyrion and Janos was brilliant. "I'm not questioning your honor, Lord Janos. I'm denying its existence." Loved it. Peter Dinklage is perfect in every scene he's been in.

And I really like Gendry. No real reason to at this point, I guess, but I really do.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I always assumed Melisandre was Stannis's mistress just from the way things were written in the book, but not openly proclaimed.

What is interesting to me is that according to the IMDb listings, Stannin, Davos, and Melisandre only appear in 2 episode this season. Unless the IMDb updates the listing as each episode is aired, then we have seen them for the last time this season, and that I can not believe...

Gilly is only in two episodes this year as well, so I am not sure what to make of the IMDb episodes listing. Her listings make sense, since she did not have a bigger role until book 3.

As as far as JoJen and his sister, I don't see any listings for them on IMDb. I still feel that somewhere along the way they do have to bring in JoJen and his sister as they are integral for Bran's growth. Me suspects season 3 and that is why they are not listed because they have not been cast yet...

I suspect I will know more about the IMDb episode listings next week and if the listings are acurate for the season or updated weekly. If you check the link I provide upstream, you have to expand the list for the full crew and cast.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
We can't have seen Stannis et al for the last time this season, because the penultimate episode is called Blackwater.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
We can't have seen Stannis et al for the last time this season, because the penultimate episode is called Blackwater.

I agree, but the IMDb site shows them for only 2 episodes for 2012.

I went back and checked the site and see no new characters have appeared in more than two episodes this season, which makes sense since only 2 episodes have aired. So I think IMDb must update each week when the series airs.

I also suspect that is why I do not find JoJen, his sister, or Ygrette listed is because they have not appeared yet.

But the Gilly listing still bothers me as she is listed as appearing in 2 episodes. Well have to rewatch episode 1 of season 2 and see if maybe she was in the background...

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Ygritte has definitely been cast. The actress was in season one of Downton Abbey. Yeah, that has to be a misprint of Stannis and Melisandre. For those who have read the books.... >>>>> She still has to give birth to the shadow assassin thing that offs you-know-who. And there is the whole Blackwater thing, definitely. No way they'd drop Stannis now, just when non-readers are getting used to who he is... >>>>

Ygritte Casting news. I love this actress, so I can't wait.

No Mance though? Or Tullys?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I'll be honest--I really got annoyed by the Stannis-Melissandre scene. And the Theon-ugly captain's daughter scene too.

Obviously, I'm not a prude. I edit erotica that singes my toenails on a pretty frequent basis. But I am absolutely pissed off by how much focus is placed on the sex scenes. I don't give a damn if Stannis banged Melissandre on his map table. I could give a flying..,pig. But I'll be honest--I would have much rather the ten minutes of screen time where I had to witness floppy boobs had been spent on something more interesting and integral to the plot. Like--oh, I don't know--Renly, maybe, and Brienne. Arya. Definitely Tyrion. Hell, I wouldn't even have complained at backstory for the Onion Knight. As far as that goes, if the sex scenes served some real purpose to the plot I wouldn't have a problem with that.

But if they're going to muck this up with completely gratuitous sex scenes, I'll be skipping half the episodes before too much longer.

Geesch.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I think sex scenes in which both men and women are fully shown is the new norm on cable...

Rome sort of started it, followed by the Tudors. Then Spartacus came along and blew them all out of the water with nude and sex scenes. But with Camelot, even nude scenes of Eva Green could not save the show from the axe. Now we have AGOT and the Borgia's.

As to the Theon's scene and the captain's daughter, it did take place in the book so I was ok with it, though I agree they could have cut away sooner...lots sooner.

With Melisandre and Stannis, while that scene was not in the book I read, I think the producers felt they had to show Melisandre's control over Stannis for those who have not read the books.

As I watched all the little pieces fall to the floor my first thought was, "Now who is going to pick them up and put them back where they belong." So, we have a sex scene and with a very lovely lady and my thoughts were about the pieces falling off the map table.

Maybe I am too old to appreciate a scene like that. Naaaa, that's not it...

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot more sex in the books than on screen. He's more succinct in his sex scenes in the books, but there are a heck of a lot of them including super-graphic description of genitalia, breasts and so forth.

Just because Martin may take 2-3 sentences to described a very 'in your face' sex scene, doesn't mean that it should take 2-3 seconds in film form.

The scene with Theon and his "fishwife" was about half the chapter with her giving him oral, him taking her and a lot more of him thinking about what a stupid git she was. Would have probably ended up being 3X as long if they stayed true to the book.

Ros, I think, is a waste of air just as a character. I admit that there were a few scenes with her in season 1 that were completely unnecessary.

What Melisandre does with Stannis' "seed" is pretty important to the entire series. They alluded to it in the book. They showed it on screen. It didn't last that long, in honesty. It seemed to me that Stannis finished rather quickly. :)

I do think that most scenes in Littlefinger's whorehouse are utterly useless. It only shows how capable he is of twirling his evil mustache and I think we could get that in another, more efficient and more interesting way.

The rest of the sex scenes I have no issue with at all.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Well, for any reader who is uncomfortable with a scene in a book they can skip forward. Can't do that with a cable show as it airs...