Notify all queried agents of offer?

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
I've received an offer of representation. :) I've notified those agents who requested my full MS of this offer, but what about the queries I sent recently? I have several queries out that are still within the agent's timeframe for response. For example, the agents asked for 2-3 weeks to respond to the query & it's only been one week. Should I notify them too so they don't waste their time?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
First, congratulations!

Second, I would notify all the agents who have your query, at least that's what I did. For most who have the query, the short deadline needed for a response and the fact that they don't have your full may mean they just back out of the contest. But you might get a few more full requests from letting them now--and you need to let them know now so that they have time to read the full.

Good luck!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats! :snoopy:

Go ahead and contact all the agents, except those who've had it past their stated date.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
When it comes to queries, I personally only would contact those that you feel, based on your research, that you would be likely to prefer over the offering agent. You really aren't wasting any more time if they send a rejection or request in the future than if you send an offer notice now, and if you aren't likely to choose them over the offering agent and they request after your offer notice, you're probably wasting more of their time. But if you feel strongly that these might be the agents for you, go ahead.

Some agents do say they like a notice at the query stage, but I only know of a few.

viridian6

Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the responses, y'all!
i went ahead and sent a quick note to all agents on my list. 4 hours later, I have received 2 requests for fulls. we'll see how this goes... :)

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
Some agents do say they like a notice at the query stage, but I only know of a few.

For the record, I think you've got that backwards. I don't really know of agents who DON'T want to be notified.

You queried me becuase you thought I'd be a good fit, so why not give me a shot? it's really disapointed to get to a 2-3 week old query and get excited and request it and be like "oh, dude I already signed an agent."

I know, I snooze I lose, but it still is a bummer.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That may be true, Mandy, and it's likely that agents would discuss such things amongst themselves than post it somewhere online. But it's also true that I only seen a few (you're one :) ) publicly said they'd like a notice at the query level, and how is an author to know whether it's recommended by a certain agent or seen as a nuisance unless that agent says so? Anyway, it's good to know that the impression I got that those agents who specifically mention it are the only ones who want it is probably a false impression.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
But it's also true that I only seen a few (you're one :) ) publicly said they'd like a notice at the query level, and how is an author to know whether it's recommended by a certain agent or seen as a nuisance unless that agent says so?

I sure hope there aren't agents out there going, "Ugh, how annoying," when they are notified of offers! It's a professionl courtesy. If they react that way then you didn't want that grouch in your corner anyway. ;-)

M