Question about epic fantasy query

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP is an epic fantasy and, as I near completion of the first draft, I've found that writing a query letter helps me focus my editing. But, I have been struggling far more than usual to construct a query letter for this manuscript because it is so....well, it's epic. :) Lots of characters, vast continents with diverse locals, etc.

To get an idea of how to even write a query for an epic fantasy, I read the few online queries I could find and a million book covers (I know, not exactly the same as a query but I wanted to see how they're being marketed/presented to the public). I've found that they almost all start with "In a world where..." kind of construction, which I've been told is a terribly cliched no-no for queries. Virtually all advice is to narrow the focus onto the MC and I've tried that as well, but I've found it impossible to explain her goals/the stakes without some mention of the larger goings on. Especially since her goal changes dramatically at the first major turning point in the novel.

So, my latest thought is to basically write my query about the first 30 pages or so, because it provides a clear emotional and concrete goal for the MC. But, I feel like this is verging on misrepresenting the book because it is a goal that quickly becomes moot for the MC and it loses the major thrust of the overall story.

I would love any and all advice/thoughts on this. I know the ultimate goal of a query is to interest an agent enough to request pages, but I'm flailing like a baby giraffe here.

smalls

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure others will pop in with more in depth answers but have you tried searching the Query Letter Hell SYW subforum? You can search by title of thread to include the word "epic." There, you can find threads of folks who've probably had the same dilemma and see how they handled it as well as the advice given to them. Do keep in mind though that the older the thread, the less timely the advice may be.

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you smalls, that is a great idea and now I'm wondering why I didn't think of it... :)

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
My current WIP is an epic fantasy and, as I near completion of the first draft, I've found that writing a query letter helps me focus my editing. But, I have been struggling far more than usual to construct a query letter for this manuscript because it is so....well, it's epic. :) Lots of characters, vast continents with diverse locals, etc.

To get an idea of how to even write a query for an epic fantasy, here's part of your problem, because epic fantasy isn't in any way "magically speshul." See the list below, but do bear that in mind. Having seen your query, part of the problem is you just don't "want to" focus, and given the confines of 200 words, you can be every bit as bound up if you were writing about three people in a single room.... I read the few online queries I could find and a million book covers (I know, not exactly the same as a query but I wanted to see how they're being marketed/presented to the public).so, soooo not the same. I've found that they almost all start with "In a world where..." kind of construction, which I've been told is a terribly cliched no-no for queries. Virtually all advice is to narrow the focus onto the MC and I've tried that as well, but I've found it impossible to explain her goals/the stakes without some mention of the larger goings on. NOTE: you were told to focus on the mc. you concluded that means you can't talk about the rest of the book, which is a faulty conclusion. You just mention it obliquely....instead of your back-story infodumps, you mention what your character feels and breathes, because she may know a thousand years ago, in The Great Wars, fyremages came on giant wooden boats from a distant land and enslaved all of Chickfilatopia, but she doesn't think in terms of abstract history lessons, she thinks "she'll make every last fyremage pay for the thousand years they've enslaved her people." There is a huge difference in that construct and your initial inclination, the "in a world where..." version....in one of them you're telling us about your book's history, in the other you're telling us about the MC.

Tell us about the MC.

Especially since her goal changes dramatically at the first major turning point in the novel. perhaps end the query there. if not....see the list below again

So, my latest thought is to basically write my query about the first 30 pages or so, because it provides a clear emotional and concrete goal for the MC. But, I feel like this is verging on misrepresenting the book because it is a goal that quickly becomes moot for the MC and it loses the major thrust of the overall story.unless it goes into an entirely different genre, etc (only detailing Larry the Accountant's life-goal of banging his intern because the portal in your portal fantasy comes at Page 32, for example) you are fine--remember the query isn't a synopsis, it is a flash-fiction summary/teaser, and once the agent is 30 pages in, the query is forgotten and moot.

I would love any and all advice/thoughts on this. I know the ultimate goal of a query is to interest an agent enough to request pages, but I'm flailing like a baby giraffe here.

Fiz,

I've seen you around here. your posts are well-thought and clearly expressed. I have no doubt you CAN write, including a query...you just need to reel your inclination to "accurately capture everything" in. Way in. That's very common.

I am, at 40, terribly old. Handsome, yes, but my memory is going, boldly striking out on a path towards obsolescence I can only assume my bladder control, erectile function, and ability to eat soup quietly will soon follow. That said, I can recall several queries you should find...and read their entire threads:

TKO, because he has a globe-spanning query he got down to really nice and tight....but after a LONG time where he was wrestling with character-soup, globetrotting, and generalities. Can't recall his title, sadly, but he only has a few queries in qlh I believe, and may be kind enough to point you to the one I am referring to (Dark Clouds?)

Putt, for Disciple. Fantasy, one primary location but she still had to build a world and do so in 200 words.

MrFlibble, for her Ronan series. The first query went into several versions, and got a 3-book deal, but again, a very fantasy world with pain magic, a different totalitarian society, etc....

all three captured what they needed of their details, and did so in 200 words. All three, to varying degrees, cut excess to get there. Study what they cut, what they kept, and the discussions in their threads. You can absolutely cut, you just need to really make your words work harder.

Quick

Last edited:

Fizgig

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you quicklime! I looked those up and they were helpful :) Back to the drawing board for me.

tko

just thanks fore everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
me?

Yup, that's me. I had a novel with aspects I just couldn't let go of. Multiple layers, character arcs, a strong supporting cast, exotic villains.

So, I let go of them one at a time. Finally I was left with one character, one arc, one conflict, and a lot of punch, because I had the space to go into the right amount of detail.

Inside your story is one strong thread you can use. Cut until you find it, then only add the detail needed to support that premise. Sounds so easy, but it took me around 6-months.

[FONT=&quot]Remembering her childhood turned her into a killer. Burying it forever made her a better one.[/FONT]

Fiz,
TKO, because he has a globe-spanning query he got down to really nice and tight....but after a LONG time where he was wrestling with character-soup, globetrotting, and generalities. Can't recall his title, sadly, but he only has a few queries in qlh I believe, and may be kind enough to point you to the one I am referring to (Dark Clouds?)

Quick

megajo29

Registered
Reaction score
Website
macaronicus.blogspot.com
I'm not so sure your query *has* to focus on the MC from the beginning (I know, I know - I'm spouting QLH blasphemy!). But in a fantasy, agents seem to focus a lot on how original your world and your premise are. I do wonder if a paragraph of *telling* about your world (blasphemy again!) might not actually help you. My advise would be to look on the internet for agents who rep fantasy and read their blogs. They might talk about what they like/dislike in a QL. Or, you could send out a couple of different versions of your QL, and see which one does better.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Joining in the chorus. Please choose one MC to focus on in your query. You might have 7, 8, 9 rotating POVs, but you only have a very short amount of space to hook an agent in a query. Spread it all out too thin and you're screwed.

My advice is to pick one character (probably the one you start with as they might ask for the first 2500 words), speak to their overall story arc and touch on the greater "epic" evil or conflict present in your world.

You can get an agent invested in 2500 words if you use one character and they give a crap about that character by the end. Using more than one? You're just going to dump a whole bunch of names in the reader's lap.

What's important about the query is that it must SELL your book. It absolutely does not need to include every nuanced detail of every plot with every character.