I know what it is (fantasy/sci-fi), but...

Kronisk

Banned
Reaction score
Sydney. Please do not call me Australian. My disli
My work thus far all boils down to varying mixtures of fantasy settings with science-fiction. That is the easy part.

But how do I explain this to my audience, or a potential agent? And it does not help that, as I said, the mix varies. Some of the short stories in my collection volume are so fantasy it is difficult to discern where the science fiction element even is. (Unless it helps the actual plot plot.) Others tilt in the opposite direction. My novels also vary, but the same problem exists. How do I tell the agent I have taken both genres and lovingly rolled them into a ball? Would they even care?

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
I think so. I read plenty of authors who write both Fantasy and SF. I know there are Fantasy and SF "purists" who won't read their cousin genre, but lots of readers embrace the whole spec-fic family. :)

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
Does that work for explaining it to members of the public, too?

Yeah, I find people more open to mashing than you'd expect. After all, look at Star Wars - it didn't hold it back, having fantasy elements. ;) i mostly have no trouble provided I'm sure what it is and can talk about it.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
"Science fantasy" is a genre, although not as common as its counterparts alone. :) Like Springs said, Star Wars blends the two fabulously. Many video games do as well, such as some of the Final Fantasy series. If you're worried about how to explain, just say "It's fantasy with science fiction elements" or vice versa, depending on the story, and if anyone side-eyes you about it, give them some of the examples we're said.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
TAMaxwell nailed it - science fantasy.

If you feel you must label it, just call it that. Let the reader succumb to the inherent curiosity the term generates. Never underestimate the power of curiosity and readers' thirst for creative entertainment.