Where are you today?

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Just thought it'd be fun to keep each other updated about what's going on in our projects (and get to know each other a bit), so how about you tell us what you are writing today? If you want to share a sentence, go ahead. Otherwise, it'd be nice just to hear what you're working on.

Personally, I just wrote the first scene for my WIP. So far, I have been writing out of order and researching but think I'm finally ready to start on an actual draft. So today, I arrived in London in the year 1628 in order to murder King Charles I.

That's where I am. How about you?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Thank you for starting this thread!

I'm still in Antebellum and Civil War America (Georgia, Virginia, Philly, Washington D.C.). I've been there a while and am fairly comfortable with it. We'll see where I go next . . . it might be the Civil War and the immediate postwar years.

ETA: I should clarify that I'm "still" there because I'm editing like a fool. I need to clarify my MC's relationship to slavery in one WIP and do a bit of clean-up and character work on the other.

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at a bit of an impasse, that 40,000 word marker where I know what is going to happen, just not sure how to get my MC from A to B. So I have spent today finishing of some research on slavery in the Roman Empire, and writing some character bios.

As for where I am in the novel, my Roman spy is in Galilee having disguised himself as a Greek slave in an attempt to infiltrate Kokhba's followers, and kill a traitor. In a reversal of fortune, he really is enslaved now and unable to make contact with the XXII Legion.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Egypt, 1279 BC. My MC has just been given a tip off about a tomb robbery, and is planning to lay an ambush for them. Unfortunately he's the one about to be ambushed. I'm dithering about writing this scene, because I don't know where to start, or if I should even show it at all, or just skip to him staggering home covered in blood. Hmmm.

Magnanimoe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in 1901, shifting between the U.S. and the Philippines. I think I spent about 6 months researching the Philippine War.

TellMeAStory

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between earnest application and gleeful
It's summer in 1936 Philadelphia. The big news stories are about Joe Louis having lost a boxing match because of a hypodermic injection in his left arm--or for some other reason, and about hope for Jesse Owens's upcoming performance in the Olympics in Europe where race is not the terrible problem it is over here. Meanwhile, everybody is thrilled about the Italians getting whopped by the brave Ethiopians.

It's all true, you only have to read the Negro newspapers.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought it'd be fun to keep each other updated about what's going on in our projects (and get to know each other a bit), so how about you tell us what you are writing today? If you want to share a sentence, go ahead. Otherwise, it'd be nice just to hear what you're working on.

That's where I am. How about you?

Getting to the end of a tale of daring-do. The MC has saved the Directory from the Gilded Youth and has let Napoleon take credit for it. She is sneaking back to England for Christmas in the Country and some winding up of loose ends in the story. Consulting the letters of Frances Burney to get some 1790s tone in the MCs letters.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
February 4, 1927, at the University of Toronto. It's sunny with a high of -6 Celsius (aren't newspapers the best resource?). My 19-year-old main character just agreed to go to a dance with the friend of the girl his brother is smitten with. He hates dances, and he needs a cigarette (he dropped his matchbook, which fell into a puddle of melted snow), and he isn't at all sure his tuxedo jacket is pressed, but his brother's really excited.

This is sort of the successor to the novel I've been working on the last couple years--I tossed 90% of that but kept the characters, setting, and basic premise. For my own sanity I've decided it's now a new novel.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Right now I'm at the top of the ziggurat in ancient Babylon. My MC just brought up the throne room lion to stand beside the king. The populace is gathered in the precinct below awaiting the signal to bow before the city god as sacrifice is made to protect them from the enemy army surrounding their walls.

A_Read

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, really loved reading where everyone is! Yay, solidarity--I'm not the only one who spends half the day imagining I'm somewhere I'll never get to go!

So, I'm still in Serbia the summer before WW2 starts. Been there off and on for years, trying to figure out this editing thing...

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Ah, so others are getting more specific, and I want to, too.

So, right now it's spring 1864 in the Shenandoah Valley. Hamilton (a Confederate soldier) has just learned that the squatters he befriended are actually runaway slaves. And he's waking up now to find them gone, which makes him sad. Which will lead in short order to him being drunk.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I'm sitting between two world wars, and an early settlement of a country....with very few words....just waiting for that great thing called inspiration to fly me away.

Last edited:

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
Yesterday, I was in the kitchens of my fictional mansion on the Strand, and finally got to use some of my extensive research on the management of 17th century aristocratic households. Clerks of the kitchen, butlers and dry larder vs wet FTW! Also, the elusive topic of 17th century breakfast habits in England vs France.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
My MC has just been recognised as a Roman spy, and fleeing through the town of Capercotna (Megiddo) from a Jewish mob who want to lynch him.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the stables at Snape Castle in Yorkshire in 1538, where my main character has been chatting to Lord Latimer about what happened to him in the Pilgrimage of Grace and he's rolling his eyes a bit about his wife Katherine (Parr)'s reformist tendencies.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I'm up to February 17 (1927). My other main character (the brother of the fellow above) went with his new girlfriend to see Don Juan starring John Barrymore at the Regent Theatre in Toronto (which was totally playing that day--50c tickets!). She thought they ought to maybe head to his place after for some petting [making out]. He was floored, and agreed.

In real life I went today to see a 1926 film at a theatre built in 1912, haha. No petting ensued, sadly.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Cool thread! Let's see...my MC is hanging onto the dragon prow of her brother's longship. They're skirting the coast of Angle Land in a gale, heading for Lindesfarne. It's 793 AD.

As for me, I keep plinking keys, waiting to see exactly what this story is going to be about.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
It's 1356 in north Cornwall. My 21st century time-traveler is just getting clued in on the local festival. It's the nameday of the parish church's patron saint, and since it's spring, and young people's fancies WILL turn to thoughts of love...he's enchanted both with the customs he's seeing for the first time and with the local herbalist/healer.

Tom from UK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomwilliamsauthor.co.uk
Yesterday I finished my third book about James Burke. My editor says she's happy to have them without a beta reader, but I'm wondering if anyone would be interested...

Reaction score
On my fifth novel, still in the 1600's. The pirates have looted the viceroy's compound before shelling it. A lot of them were former slaves...

"While rest of you were having fun looting, I was stealing records, deeds mainly." Jeanne Pierre smiled.

"What do we care about deeds? We cannot tolerate a Spanish presence in these waters!" Batu shouted.

"The deeds were for everything. Every slave bought and sold, who they were sold to and where they were taken." Jeanne Pierre continued.

"Our children? You have found our children?" Shayla asked.