Image resizing

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
This is probably a stupid question, but it seems I have a lot of those rolling around on the parquet of my mind.

My publisher sent me a lovely, hi-res file of my final cover art. The file's a big bastard at 2.65MB and I need to get one that's about 1MB for an online form that's requesting it.

What's the easiest way to make this thing about the right size while conserving the image quality?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Probably the easiest is just to bring it up in a image manager and resize it slightly and save it with a new name. It will probably reduce by at least half.

High resolution is for printing, not for viewing on the web.

Last edited:

nealraisman

tenured at Mammon U
Registered
Reaction score
You could also try to copy it, paste it into a simple program like Microsoft Publisher and save at it lower res.

asroc

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a big lossless file format like PNG you could save it as a JPEG. Should make it smaller without sacrificing too much quality.

What software would you have available?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Thanks guys.

I've only got Microsoft Office Picture Manager and Paint. Photobucket has a resize option, but seems to really chew the quality.

Probably the biggest problem is that I don't know what I'm doing. :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect it's not just the size, that is the size in pixels, like 800 x 400 or whatever, it's the resolution, the number of dots or pixels per inch. It's probably meant originally for print, so it's likely 300 or more dots per inch.

There's more data in a high resolution picture, so the file is bigger, and the quality is better.

Web resolution is 72 dpi. So depending on what you want to do with the image, you need to probably change the dpi resolution and then resize it.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Is the image a jpg or png?
If it's a 2MB jpg it's probably huge. (click actual size to see just how large it is.) If you scale it to 33%- 25% of the original size and drop the quality to 80%, you can get it down to 0.1mb without any noticeable quality loss.
I would be happy to run it through photoshop for you if you don't come right. Just drop me a private message.