Scrivener Autocorrect "jumping the gun"

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I like autocorrect, and I like "check spelling as you type." There are certain words that I tend to misspell regularly, simply due to typing speed, and the errors I'd face in editing would be far greater without autocorrect than with it.

But for some reason in Scrivener, the autocorrect jumps the gun and autocorrects a word before I finish typing it (before I hit space). I cannot figure out how to make it not do this. Is it possible to fix this problem without turning off the normal autocorrect?

eparadysz

Registered
Reaction score
I don't use the auto-correct myself, but I see under Tools/Options/Corrections there's a tick box for "Suggest completions as you type". Would unchecking that work?

I'm using Scrivener for Windows, btw.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is Mac. I don't *think* that's the same, but I will try it out. It's not that it's suggesting completions, it's that it has decided that I'm done with an incorrectly spelled word and changes it to a different word (or two), even while I'm typing out more letters (to get to a correctly spelled word).

It could be a Mac thing, since I got my Mac and Scrivener around the same time, but I know autocorrect doesn't act that way on the internet, so I suspect it's Scrivener.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, actually, I have the "suggest completions as you type" as an option, but it's not checked anyway. What I do have checked are "check spelling as you type in new projects" and "correct spelling errors as you type." And that's what I want, but I don't want it to do it mid-word.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I think it may be a MacOS thing. I know my Mac devices like to do that

Though I can't find a setting on my Mac.

I don't have that happen in Scriv, but then I have autocorrect spelling turned off. I just let it put the squiggly red line and control click to fix.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, actually, I have the "suggest completions as you type" as an option, but it's not checked anyway. What I do have checked are "check spelling as you type in new projects" and "correct spelling errors as you type." And that's what I want, but I don't want it to do it mid-word.

Try toggling that setting, that is change it to what you don't want, close the pane, then go back and change it to what you do want, in case you have a damaged prefence or plist file.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Cool, I'll try that. I can't remember what word I was typing when I decided to see if there was an answer to the problem, but I'll test with "instead" because I know it switches "instea" to "ins tea" all the time before I type the "d"

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, "instead" seems to be working now. Hopefully, that fixed the problem!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to say that today this started up again. I'll try toggling it again, since that worked temporarily, which is better than it doing it all the time. I had two words do it in a paragraph, both definitely without me hitting space.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Sage are you running Yosemite?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I am, yes. And it's happened before and after updating to Yosemite.