Messed Up Quotes

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Can you be more specific? What quotes, where? A link?

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who posts a quote, it's barely even there. Like the inner quote that Amergina posted right above me. It's barely there. All I see is who it's from and maybe a letter or two.

It's like this:

________________________o__________________________yy___________

(without the line)

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
amergina's quote is perfectly legible text-in-a-box to me, and a preliminary glance at the page code doesn't show anything odd. So it's probably at your end.

Is the Zoom setting in your browser neutral (set to 100%)?

What browser are you using? What operating system (Windows XP, 7, 8? Mac OSX? iOS? Android?)

Can you get us a screen shot? (Unless someone else here has a better idea of what this is . . .)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for piping in Alexys. I have no idea, I'm not tech savvy. I think it's Windows 7? I'm not sure on that.

I'll have my hubby take a look. Good to know it's not happening for everyone. It's probably this dinosaur computer of mine. Thanks for letting me know.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
That's a first for me. I've never seen only a partial quote show up. I hope someone posts why this happened.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Strange thing, after I shut my computer down (the right way instead of just pressing the button) it's all fine now. So it just proves it was only my computer. I've had it for several years and have a ton of stuff stored on it and always have it on (which is another bad thing) but it's fixed now.

Not sure why it happened in the first place.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
This is happening to me today, too. I'm using Chrome.

When people quote others, the quote boxes appear blank. But if I highlight them, the text shows up.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Strange thing, after I shut my computer down (the right way instead of just pressing the button) it's all fine now. So it just proves it was only my computer. I've had it for several years and have a ton of stuff stored on it and always have it on (which is another bad thing) but it's fixed now.

Not sure why it happened in the first place.

Restarting every couple of weeks is not a bad idea, especially on an older computer. Backing up is an even better idea, especially if you back up in multiple ways (email yourself mss., have an external hard drive for backup, use a service, use USB sticks, etc. )

Sometimes the HTML interpreter, like JavaScript (which works with HTML to do things like insert the quote tags or create pop-up menus or windows) decide that they no longer wish to function acceptably.

Generally restarting the computer versus just the Web browser will help because it means that these programs that are part of the OS will also restart.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This is happening to me today, too. I'm using Chrome.

When people quote others, the quote boxes appear blank. But if I highlight them, the text shows up.

Clear your cache and history
Restart your computer.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert--no kidding!--but that last post advising clearing cache and history, then restarting the compute, solves a host of woes. It's amazing how many serious glitches and minor annoyances disappear from something so simple. (It's a good time to clear cookies, too, assuming you have your logins and passwords noted somewhere.)

Maryn, tipping her hat to AW Admin

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Oddly, my problem seemed to fix itself, spontaneously. I do restart my computer regularly (I usually turn it off at night when I go to bed), but just leaving AW and coming back seemed to do the trick last night. Didn't even have to restart Chrome.

A couple other problems I've been having in Chrome also fixed themselves last night: the ctrl+F function hadn't been working right in Chrome for a few weeks, and a password-protected website I use for work wasn't letting me log in while I was using Chrome. Clearing my cache hadn't worked, and I was planning on making sure my bookmarks and whatnot were backed up and trying to re-install Chrome, but the problems just went away last night. Hmm.

I wonder if the issue I was having with AW was connected to the other stuff.