Shockwave Stops Responding

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
So the title pretty much says it all. I constantly get a message saying shockwave plugin has stopped responding and it does this often more than once a day. I use Google Chrome, but it did it with Firefox too. I thought switching from FF to GC might fix it, but my browser still stops responding. A little pop up comes up and asks if I want to "kill pages" or wait for them to respond. It gets pretty irritating. Any idea why it does this? Do I need to upgrade something?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Until you can find a better answer you could turn off Shockwave in Firefox (set it to "Ask to Activate" in your add-ons). I keep mine turned off anyway because I don't want it to automatically start playing videos every time I visit Facebook.

Taejang

Why not?
Registered
Reaction score
Make sure your browser is updated (33.1 for FF, push the Alt button and go to Help->About to check). And check to see if shockwave needs an update (in FF, push control+shift+a and click on Plugins. Then click on the small text at the top that says, "Check to see if your plugins are up to date")

If they are all up-to-date already, or updating them doesn't fix it, then go back to the plugins section and remove the shockwave plugin(s). When you visit a site that uses shockwave, it will prompt you to install the plugin- do so. Hopefully that fixes it. If not, try this.

In Chrome, try this.

kdaniel171

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Well explained by Taejang

I wanted to say the same thing that Taejang said. I would like to add that you should upgrade your PC if it is possible for you.