Jactancy January 500 words/day--all genres welcome!

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Only 370 today. I'm inching my way toward my first 20k.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Excellent progress everyone!

Ken - That totally sucks. I wouldn't be able to write, either. Here's hoping you get some words today. :D

lizmonster - Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes you need a brain-break.

franky_s - Whoohoo! That's awesome!

1,939 words last night, and 94k in draft. Getting closer to being done.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Ken - That totally sucks. I wouldn't be able to write, either. Here's hoping you get some words today. :D

1,939 words last night, and 94k in draft. Getting closer to being done.

In my "private" cubicle this morning, so maybe I can get some words on the WIP. :D (On my 3rd cup of coffee and still waiting for the caffine to kick start my heart.)

Nice wordage, Saoirse! :hooray:

franky s, the first 20k are the hardest, at least in my experience. Just keep plugging away!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
484 words today, which is a lot for this little section, because it's a difficult bit of past-and-present real-and-imagined trickery. I'm pleased with it :)

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
WTG, mccardey! It's always nice when it all comes together. :D

Actually have some wordage this morning, now that I have my cubicle in the back, away from prying eyes. 591 this morning on a new scene, which brings the WIP total to 39647! Just 353 more words for 40K! :banana:

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Ken - Is it wrong that I burst out laughing when I saw that dancing banana? Like laughed so much I cried?

Anyway, dancing bananas aside, I managed 293 on the WIP I've been working on for ages and also ended up typing 1321 words on a little scene that just popped in my head, which could be my next project.

Overall wordage for the day is 1614!

Ken Hoss

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Ken - Is it wrong that I burst out laughing when I saw that dancing banana? Like laughed so much I cried?

Nope, laughter is the best medicine. :D

Added another 359 words for a daily total of 950, and that brings the WIP to, drum roll please............40006! :hooray::partyguy:

(The chapter is already over 2100 and I'm still not done with it!)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
No words yesterday, and only negative words today, since I have to scrap the whole thing and start again (again). I think I'm going to redo the whole plot as well while I'm at it and see if I can get it to work. I think though if this draft turns out as awful as the last five, I quit.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No words yesterday, and only negative words today, since I have to scrap the whole thing and start again (again). I think I'm going to redo the whole plot as well while I'm at it and see if I can get it to work. I think though if this draft turns out as awful as the last five, I quit.

:Hug2: I know exactly how you feel, Zelenka.

Maybe it's time to take a break, try something else - a short story, or another novel, perhaps?

For everyone else....awesome words, guys. Sounds like you're all storming ahead with your chapters.:hooray:

As for me? Nothing, nada, zilch. *Sidles over to Zelenka and plops herself down.*

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: I know exactly how you feel, Zelenka.

Maybe it's time to take a break, try something else - a short story, or another novel, perhaps?

Thanks Muse. I was going to enter this (or the first chapter at least) into a competition but that closes Feb 2, so no chance now, so I suppose I can have the time to let it sit for a while. I have no idea where to begin trying to make it not suck. Have to say, I haven't felt this low about a piece of writing for years.

The zero word bench, at least, is quite comfy and has cookies...

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, last night was my first zero night of the year. I have a problem with my jaw (from prior surgery 21 years ago) and I'm in crapload of pain right now. Seeing the oral surgeon on Friday. Hopefully he'll take care of it then. Meanwhile, it's vicodin time. :(

Don't know yet if I will be writing through this (I'm crazy like that), so we'll see. I'll keep y'all posted.

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ken and well done on reaching 40K!
I wrote 50 words yesterday. Feeling more motivated today, though.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
So, I managed 219 on WIP#1 and 981 on the new project, giving me a total of 1200 words exactly!

Actually glad I've started this new little project as its helping me somehow, get through this sticky spot in WIP#1.

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely more motivated today. 624 words already and finished a pretty emotional scene. I'm at the beginning of the act1 climax now and I'm really looking forward to writing it.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Those on the zero-word bench: Chocolate is incoming. Whatever kind you like. Hang in there.

Saoirse - so sorry to hear about your jaw! Glad you have some painkillers, but I hope you don't need them long.

I kerchunked out 1193 words and finished the chapter/section. Now I have some denoument to add, including some Ongoing Conspiracy stuff that I'll be able to exploit in the next book.

And then it'll be a first draft, or as I like to describe it, a huge amorphous mass of contradictions, adverbs, and ill-timed exposition.

franky_s

still procrastinating
Registered
Reaction score
And then it'll be a first draft, or as I like to describe it, a huge amorphous mass of contradictions, adverbs, and ill-timed exposition.

Lol. Sounds a lot like my first draft, Lizmonster.

I wrote a total of 2181 words today. And I've broken the 20K mark!

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Still on the zero bench. Nothing done at all yesterday. Today, working on the new outline. I know there was a time when I used to enjoy writing. I think that was before I found out I was crap at it...

Ignore me, still in a real downer. But I have just bought a load of chocolate. Congrats to those with wordage!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lizmonster - Thanks! I see my oral surgeon in 2 weeks, so hopefully this'll all be over with soon. As for your first draft - sounds like one of mine!

Zelenka - Hugs. It'll start being fun again. Sometimes you gotta push through.

1,526 words last night! I couldn't believe it. 95k in draft.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I finished the last two chapters of Draft 3, so I now have a completed MS.

However, still not feeling confident that I've got a good story. I'm about to send it to some beta readers from my writing group, and I think they are going to rip it to shreds.

However, at least then I'll know what I need to do to fix it.

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Added 523 to the new project whilst trying to mentally plan out where WIP#1 is headed.

Completely winging this new project and letting the characters move the story. Good direction though so far.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Congrats on finishing the draft, Shara! Good luck with the revisions/edits/etc. Very exciting!

Excellent, IAMWRITER!

Osg - Don't beat yourself up. There's always another day. ;)

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on the draft, Shara! Good luck with your betas and edits etc.

Still on the zero bench. Working on the new plot, having taken out all the elements that were "stupid". So far it's really not good, but maybe I can add something to it.